Author Topic: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49  (Read 6060 times)

Offline jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49
« on: October 05, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
Passing along article from Deadline Hollywood on the redesigned set without an audience for Season 49 along with the picture below of the separate podiums for contestant's row.

Some tidbits from the article

• Unlike some other entertainment formats, the show was not able to have a virtual audience as ultimately it would be impossible to ensure that they weren’t looking online for the actual prices of the items.
  • They have figured out how to bring all 77 games back while maintaining social distancing. As Fremantle worked closely with a team of COVID doctors who walked them through the pricing games on where they'll have Drew stand and how the contestants will stand. In addition, there there are also some changes to some games.
  • The set has also been rebuilt with decking has been put on top of the area that the audience used to sit and each contestant on Bidder’s Row are now six feet apart.
  • There are production zones, masks and shields and regular testing while filming.
  • As for Showcase Showdown, contestants will be all spinning the wheel. They’re able to all touch the wheel, though they will have to sanitize their hands first, and after the first wheel spin, the wheel will be sanitized for the next wheel spin.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:46:51 AM by jude_este »

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »
Excellent work. Seriously, this is a great way to adapt to the current normal. Nicely done.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
Agreed, this is a great way of moving forward, and I hope it works as well in execution as it seems on paper!

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »
Seeing the audience filled in like that is just... wild. Very eager to see this in action.

EDIT: That strip of lights looks awfully lonely laying in the middle of the floor, doesn't it? Seems like that could've been removed.

/Gonna be really jarring to see the show quiet like the early 70s...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:09:52 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »
Wow that looks neat!  Good news that they've found solutions to maintain all segments of the show, including all the pricing games!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »
I love how that looks.

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:15:39 PM »
Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

If you look closely at the floor, there are blue-tiled stripes leading from the curtains to either side of the one-bid podia.  I wonder if contestants will still be called to “come on down” and will enter from those curtain zones?

The lack of ambient crowd noise will be quite jarring, yes, but outside of that, it doesn’t appear they are messing with the format at all, which I had actually kind of expected.  I’m very impressed they are managing to pull this off and look forward to witnessing a bit of (hopefully short-lived) history!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 01:23:25 PM »
On a second look, it really strikes me how paying attention to and upgrading the full studio really set the stage, no pun intended, when adapting to this reality became necessary. They effectively had a backdrop that would blend with the existing main stage area already there. Covering the seating area looks far more integrated as a result.

This works as a natural fit in the same way Jeopardy's changes did. Under the current circumstances, I don't think you could ask for better.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
Under the current circumstances, I don't think you could ask for better.

100% this. Objectively I'm not a huge fan of the changes, but subjectively and under the circumstances I do think it's about the best they could've done. Points for doing the best they could with the hand they were dealt.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:35 PM »
That is freaking awesome! Makes me wonder if any changes to the pricing games will be permanent. Further, how will Plinko be handled? After all the model touches the chip, gives it to the player, Drew picks it up after it's dropped. My best guess is to execute it normally but with extra emphasis on sanitization before and after. I can't think of any other way without drastically disrupting the flow of the game.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

All aboard the train to Rerun City...when will we return?

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »
If you look closely at the floor, there are blue-tiled stripes leading from the curtains to either side of the one-bid podia.  I wonder if contestants will still be called to “come on down” and will enter from those curtain zones?

The article says the "come on down" will be staying, so I would assume so, yes.

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
The article says the "come on down" will be staying, so I would assume so, yes.

I missed that part, but good. :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
That is freaking awesome! Makes me wonder if any changes to the pricing games will be permanent. Further, how will Plinko be handled? After all the model touches the chip, gives it to the player, Drew picks it up after it's dropped. My best guess is to execute it normally but with extra emphasis on sanitization before and after. I can't think of any other way without drastically disrupting the flow of the game.

That's easy to me I assume they'll keep the chips on top and only allow the player to drop the number they won so the model won't go near the contestant/touch chips. They could keep fake chips in the slot so when they get it right it looks normal

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 02:04:32 PM »
I'll cop to being wrong about their willingness to do the show without an audience, but otherwise my predictions four months ago didn't do badly at all!

•There will be a Season 49 (99.8%)
•Drew Carey will continue to host through Season 49 (99%)
•Each show in Season 49 includes the normal six pricing games, showcase showdowns, showcases, etc. (90%)

•There will not be video contestants, call ins, etc. replacing in-studio contestants (85%) (I think this Deadline article dispels that possibility)
•The show sticks to its normal nine contestants called on down, standing behind podiums in Contestants Row, bidding on six IUFBs per episode (80%)

•The first tapings for Season 49 take place at the Bob Barker Studio in Hollywood (80%)
•The first tapings for Season 49 are delayed until after September 1, 2020 (95%)

•after January 1, 2021 (70%)
•after March 1, 2021 (50%)

•Until Season 49 resumes, TPIR reruns continue to air at their normal CBS timeslots (80%)
•All episodes rerun are from the Drew era of the show only (70%)

•All episodes rerun are from Season 48 only (50%)

•Season 49 is shorter than the normal 190 episode order (90%) (TBD)
•Season 49 is shorter than Bob's 175 episode order (60%) (TBD)
•Season 49 includes at least three "special" weeklong events (Dream Car, PCH, Big Money, etc.) (70%) (TBD)
•Season 49 includes at least seven "special" episodes not related to weeklong events (Breast Cancer, College Rivals, Halloween, etc.) (70%) (TBD)

•The show tapes with an audience (85%)
•Masks in the audience and among contestants are common (60%) (TBD, but strongly doubt it)
•The show tapes at 50% studio capacity or less (50%)
•Drew noticeably has much less physical contact with contestants, aside from things like the "elbow bump greeting" (50%)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
I guess no one will have to hold up the SHHH! card during Clock Game.

I wonder whether they'll even bother to have the jib camera. I know they used it for a couple of the games (for example, the Plinko reveal), but its primary function always seemed to be to take sweeping shots of the audience.

Quote from: Deadline.com
To make up for this, the team are increasing the number of episodes they film a day from two to three. Warfel is also moving the production days so that one of the days of filming will be Sunday, when there are fewer people on the lot.

The show was already doing those things last season.

That strip of lights looks awfully lonely laying in the middle of the floor, doesn't it? Seems like that could've been removed.

The strip covers the "bumper" that keeps cameras from rolling backward off the stage and into the audience area. Some of those bumpers can be removed -- for example, back when the Bergeron Hollywood Squares taped in Studio 33, they extended the stage area over the stairs, so those bumpers were removed to keep the floor level. I'm guessing that bumper way back there was never designed to be removable (why would anyone need it to be?), so it was either have a weird black bumper sitting in the middle of the floor or cover it with the lights that already existed.

See also the nearby handrail to nowhere for an example of a functional part of the studio that has temporarily lost its function.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. The next time you're at a checkout counter and you hear the beep...