Author Topic: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49  (Read 17362 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 11:14:41 AM »
Bitter man shows bitterness. Film at 11.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
Well, after nearly 50 years of wild audiences, it will be like watching a whole new version of the show. Or more than likely, with resemble Cullen's version. With the expanded stage space, I wonder if we'll see new camera angles, or POV that have never been seen before.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
He doesn't think Drew will host well with no audience as he is, at his core, a stand-up comedian and they don't usually play well unless there's an audience present. I really don't see that's being an issue. Drew's been doing this for 13 years now. I think he's got a handle on it and will do well.

I hope he does it well. But if you look at the way he hosts -- and has hosted -- you'll see that he often plays to the audience. Sometimes repeating a joke to try to pull laughs even if the joke really doesn't merit one. His standup roots are obviously well-ingrained. It would be hard for anyone who has so relied on an audience's responses to do without one. And let's be realistic: it'd be a challenge even for Barker to do the show without an audience's reactions that he grew so accustomed to.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
Well, after nearly 50 years of wild audiences, it will be like watching a whole new version of the show. Or more than likely, with resemble Cullen's version. With the expanded stage space, I wonder if we'll see new camera angles, or POV that have never been seen before.

I’d like to see the jib (or a jib) camera in front of the turntable, looking toward Door 3 and George’s podium.  That’s a view we never really get, at least not the full picture.  I’m sure there are production reasons for that, but with the audience removed, perhaps that will allow some extra flexibility to move around.  Shots from the rear of the studio showing the full stage in view would also be super cool — especially from George’s POV.

If we’re taking bets, I’d say each show will open with the camera on George since there is no audience to focus on.  From there, we’ll see each contestant come on down from every angle possible — jib and all! :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:36:42 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »
I’d like to see the jib (or a jib) camera in front of the turntable, looking toward Door 3 and George’s podium.  That’s a view we never really get, at least not the full picture.  I’m sure there are production reasons for that, but with the audience removed, perhaps that will allow some extra flexibility to move around.  Shots from the rear of the studio showing the full stage in view would also be super cool.

The jib’s base is an enormous (and extremely heavy) piece of equipment, and difficult to move around, unlike the jib camera itself which is very fluid. If they’re going to move it from George’s podium to the turntable for a shot, I imagine they’d have to keep it there for the whole segment, and they’d have to adjust the blocking for the other four cameras to avoid showing the giant piece of equipment near the turntable or the cable that’s now running across the stage.

Even so, if they were really motivated to mixing things up, I bet they could make it happen.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 03:46:49 PM »
...each show will open with the camera on George

Has George been confirmed as returning? The man suffered 3 widowmaker heart attacks, I can't see him being in any kind of shape for performing 3 shows a day just yet.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »
I bet they'll still dub canned audience sounds like Wheel of Fortune is doing. They can't get away with canned bid shoutings but they can still do applause, cheers, laughs, and aww's.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »
Has George been confirmed as returning? The man suffered 3 widowmaker heart attacks, I can't see him being in any kind of shape for performing 3 shows a day just yet.

Sure is!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheGeorgeGray/status/1313262656221057024
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »

Nov 16th
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2020, 10:28:36 PM »
I love the look.

I think the jib might find a use to get good wide shots of Contestant's Row (or whatever that is).

As for the opening, I could see them employ some sort of a best-of montage of winners (think Supermarket Sweep or Press Your Luck) played back muted in floating boxes as George does the spiel.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 10:53:47 PM »
How the intro will be done without an audience and contestants coming on down is a good question, along with how each new contestant will come to the podium after commercial breaks. We know from the article they're still going to use "Come on down!" so I imagine the first four contestants will still be coming to the podiums at the beginning, but of course there will be no audience to show.

As for Drew with not having the audience to play off of, I think he's hosted long enough to know how to handle it. Bob played off the audience too, it would've been a pretty big adjustment for him to not have an audience also.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 11:00:54 PM »
I’d like to see the jib (or a jib) camera in front of the turntable, looking toward Door 3 and George’s podium.  That’s a view we never really get, at least not the full picture.  I’m sure there are production reasons for that, but with the audience removed, perhaps that will allow some extra flexibility to move around.  Shots from the rear of the studio showing the full stage in view would also be super cool — especially from George’s POV.

I agree it'd be really cool to see that, but there's an opening between Door 3 & George's podium that's used to wheel various game props and prizes on to the stage. I doubt they want to show that area on TV.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 11:35:18 PM »
Greetings all!  It’s been a while.  I echo many who state given the restrictions involved, this looks pretty damn good.  Without the audience, this will make good Contestant selection more important  than ever.  As someone on this thread pointed out, Drew plays much better to a crowd as opposed to one-on-one.  Obviously a result of his stand up career. This is not a bash, just a hope: that Drew finds a way to bring out the humanity/personality in each contestant. Because it is the contestant who is the true star of this show.  Still, given the shoes he had to fill, I think he’s done a great job over 13 years making it “his show”. This new forced set design gives him an even greater opportunity to solidly his print on an institution. 

Finally, I wonder if the new set was designed in a manner that makes it relatively easily converted back to the studio audience set if and when restrictions are fully lifted. Those studio seats I’m sure didn’t just get tossed and are in storage somewhere. 

Hope all are staying safe.   

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 12:05:12 AM »
Greetings all!  It’s been a while.  I echo many who state given the restrictions involved, this looks pretty damn good.  Without the audience, this will make good Contestant selection more important  than ever.

I actually wonder, if the opposite is gonna happen since they can now do what other shows have for a long time and openly cast call vs. pick from those at a given taping. Could they be great? Sure. But could they also as easily be the picture perfect, airbrushed, overly hyper types seen on other shows? Absolutely IMO. Guess we'll have to wait and see which case it ends up being.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »
The design on the podiums looks a bit slapdash, not gonna lie, but it's good to see that they're making the necessary changes.

I just wonder about the people who want to jump up and down and hug Drew after wins.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."