Author Topic: Tom Kennedy (1927–2020)  (Read 2294 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It's a new decade!
Tom Kennedy (1927–2020)
« on: October 11, 2020, 03:07:34 PM »
Steve Beverly posted the following on Facebook just minutes ago:

"This may be the most difficult of this kind of story that I have ever written aside from my own father's obituary.
With a heavy heart, I am sad to share the news that beloved game show host Tom Kennedy, who emceed 16 shows between 1958 and 1987, died Wednesday evening at his home in Oxnard, California.  He was 93.

Tom had not been well in recent months but remained in communication with his family and close friends.
In fact, only nine days ago after I sent him a photoshopped picture with himself with Curly Howard of The Three Stooges on the "Body Language" set, Tom emailed back to tell me he once played in a golfing group called the Hollywood Hackers.  One of his regular playing partners was Larry Fine.

His oldest daughter Linda phoned a half-hour ago to relay the news. 

The pictures are of one of Tom's favorites from the latter part of his career and another with me interviewing Tom shortly after he received the National Broadcasting Society Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016.

Later, after I have time to clearly process this, I will offer my own remembrances of a relationship that evolved from his being my childhood icon to a genuine friendship I will always cherish."

The post, complete with obituary, is here.

This is shocking. I thought he did a great job hosting the syndicated version of The Price is Right in 1985, and he was so great on many of the other shows he hosted.

RIP Tom and God Bless.

Edited the header.

- Adam
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:31:14 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline b_masters8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Tom Kennedy (1927–2020)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »
Steve Beverly posted the following on Facebook just minutes ago:

"This may be the most difficult of this kind of story that I have ever written aside from my own father's obituary.
With a heavy heart, I am sad to share the news that beloved game show host Tom Kennedy, who emceed 16 shows between 1958 and 1987, died Wednesday evening at his home in Oxnard, California.  He was 93.

Tom had not been well in recent months but remained in communication with his family and close friends.
In fact, only nine days ago after I sent him a photoshopped picture with himself with Curly Howard of The Three Stooges on the "Body Language" set, Tom emailed back to tell me he once played in a golfing group called the Hollywood Hackers.  One of his regular playing partners was Larry Fine.

His oldest daughter Linda phoned a half-hour ago to relay the news. 

The pictures are of one of Tom's favorites from the latter part of his career and another with me interviewing Tom shortly after he received the National Broadcasting Society Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016.

Later, after I have time to clearly process this, I will offer my own remembrances of a relationship that evolved from his being my childhood icon to a genuine friendship I will always cherish."

The post, complete with obituary, is here.

This is shocking. I thought he did a great job hosting the syndicated version of The Price is Right in 1985, and he was so great on many of the other shows he hosted.

RIP Tom and God Bless.

Edited the header.

- Adam

Sorry to hear that-- he was big-time when I was a boy in my first years on this Earth, and he had quite a few games that I've liked seeing from YouTube that were on from before I was born (Split Second, Whew!, To Say The Least, et al.). Now he's with his big brother Jack Narz, and brother-in-law Bill Cullen, in heaven above, after a long, good life and career, and we'll all miss him.

Offline b_masters8

OBIT: Tom Kennedy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »
Just heard a couple of minutes ago through Steve Beverly in The Talk is Right forum: Tom Kennedy (who had a short-lived syndie TPIR in '85, among other games) has passed on @ 93.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »
My pick for the greatest all-around game show host ever. No hyperbole, that's my honest opinion.

Rest in Peace, Tom.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline Chelsea

• Emeritus Producer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
For the video inclined folks, I've posted the master to one of Tom's Price eps from late in the run to the Video board.
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,31599.msg483504.html#new

Features Tom's wife, mother, and daughter all in the audience.
-------------
Tom Kennedy is one of my absolute favorites and probably on my personal Mount Rushmore for hosts. I'm *heartbroken* - absolutely loved him as a host.  And from every account he was an absolutely wonderful person off-camera. 

The entertainment business lost a great today.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 63 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
First was acquainted with Tom on the original You Don't Say! in the 60s. I also recall the finale of Split Second when producer Monty Hall came out and complimented Tom on his professionalism.  He was truly a consummate professional.
Bureaucracy is cutting the red tape lengthwise.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
My pick for the greatest all-around game show host ever. No hyperbole, that's my honest opinion.

Rest in Peace, Tom.

Great pick.  Grew up watching a ton of gameshows.  While I haven't been active within the gameshow community recently I still catch up with what's going on with today's shows, as well as the past (from viewing old stuff, and what some of the past surviving stars are up to).

I agree, Alfonzo.  Tom was excellent at everything he did.  I might have put Bill Cullen up there and swapped him and Kennedy as 1-2, but no matter what he was doing or hosting, he was very good and professional at it.

Tough loss.  I feared for this day for quite a long time; RIP, Mr. Kennedy.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »
Funny – I was just thinking of him this weekend when I was shooting photos at a football game, picturing him asking contestants to guess the names of songs from the late 2010s and early 2020s. "Good as Hell" by Lizzo, "Havana" by Camilla Cabello and "Bad Guy" by Billie Ellish were the songs ... and a guy in his early 90s being hip and cool as he announces the answers to the contestants as they try to guess the songs.

Just as he was when he emceed the 1970s version of "Name That Tune."

An irreplaceable legend and one of a shrinking number from the golden era. I think Bob Barker, Bob Eubanks, Peter Marshall, Wink Martindale and Betty White are among the few left from before the early 1970s, and the first of what I'd call the "modern" legends – Alex Trebek – came along.

Thanks for the memories, Tom!

Brian
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:53:46 PM by Briguy »

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »
All I can do really is echo all of the other posters' sentiments and thoughts about Tom.

He was indeed one of the all time greats.  So hard to believe he hadn't worked on a TV game show since 1987...

Deepest condolences to his family, his friends, and his legions of fans, of which I am one.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Kennedy.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »
So sad to hear this! Let alone shocked about it as well! RIP Tom Kennedy.  :cry:

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »
I know we lose television greats every year, but so much of me wants to blame this on 2020 right now. Keeps getting worse and worse, it seems.

I have no other words other than thank you for your contributions, Tom, and God bless you. Rest in peace.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

All aboard the train to Rerun City...when will we return?

Offline geniusinmath

• In Contestant's Row
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Tom Kennedy was amazing. I really enjoy Body Language and Password Plus the most and played along with the puzzles. He was 1 of a kind. He will be dearly missed. I looked at his interview not too long ago and I never knew he was that old at first. RIP Tom Kennedy.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »
I don't know if I have much to contribute, but I think buzzerblog put it best when they said

Tom Kennedy is easily in my top 3 hosts. Few surpassed his showmanship, humor, and personality. I really wish he got a huge show that lasted ages, like so many other masters. But Buzzr let’s us see how amazing he is. Very sad loss.

Tom Kennedy, much like Geoff Edwards, was a host who could take any format, even for a lackluster show, and make it succeed. He was able to even stand in places of legends, such as Allen Ludden and quickly take the role as if he had been doing it for 15-20 years. He was that versatile. Most of all, he had one of the best sense of humour in game show hosting. He was never full of himself, he always made sure the contestant and the game were most important. I think that's what most fun about Tom Kennedy. Always a smile on his face, always enjoying himself and always pleasing to watch. You'd never know if he thought he was working more than having fun on his shows.

Personal note. He had some of the best hair in game shows in my opinion, around the time he posted Password Plus, when he was in his early 50s. If I let my hair go grey, would be cool to look like that.

Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

CSS Season 14 Cash: $729,601
CSS Season 15 Cash: $888,251 - All time CSS high for myself in 8 years.
CSS Season 16 Cash: $286,480

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »
I echo the sentiments of others here who say that Tom was quite the professional and host, who always seemed to be having
a great time hosting his shows.  I didn't get to experience any of Tom's shows in first run, but discovered him over the years in
reruns and online video.  He was the kind of host who thrived in any format and made it look so easy.  Hopefully in the years to
come, more of his shows will show up in reruns so that folks can see the wide depth of his work. R.I.P Tom. Thanks for the
wonderful memories you've brought to me and millions of fans over your career.

Offline jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
Tom Kennedy was indeed among the greats, and I also echo BuzzerBlog's words about him. And my deepest sympathies to his family, his friends, and the fans who saw him hosting either first run or discovering his shows through GSN, Buzzr, and the videos uploaded on the internet.