Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020  (Read 19759 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:38 AM »
I'm aware about the AA1.  I definitely enjoyed it in the past, and it's nice to see it in this modern version.   I know about how that and D$+S (Double Bucks & a spin) were swapped out.  My lack of excitement with it is mainly due to how I haven't been as excited as I once was over big wins in gameshows, including PYL.  They're still exciting, don't get me wrong, but I guess when there are more chances to win more cash & prizes, that has an effect.  Just speaking for myself.

I'm not saying for the show to axe AA1, but I just not a fan of it being available whenever a contestant has at least $10,000

To rank my order, I have to go with PYL, Match Game, and Family Feud in terms of most exciting to great but not as exciting.  However, I think I'd put the first half of CFF over Match Game, but not the second half

I think something like PYL, would really benefit today from returning champs like the old version had. It'd do a lot to fix that big money type of fatigue. Course this would also mean getting rid of the bonus round, which also doesn't do any favors for it, since we've seen that all before too. But that's not likely to happen obviously, either of those really.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »
It’ll be nice to have returning champions; having those contestants return last Thursday was great for the show.  It’s a good thing when we get to see familiar faces on more than one show, especially when all three were just that (though decades in the making).

I don’t think it’ll work or be a great idea.  I have to say returning champions (like the 80s original format) is not going to happen.  Same goes for Match Game, $100,000, and Card Sharks (more on that later).  The dilemma is that there are a handful of episodes annually and unless a contestant retires on the season finale, he or she would have to wait a while (the following summer) to defend the title.  I wonder, however, if a contestant wins the Bonus Round if it would mean automatic retirement.

While I don’t see PYL having returning champions, I was referring to the version on television today.  Now, if PYL ran daily (a la Family Feud), it should work.  Half-hour shows, though.  Even if the bonus round stayed intact.  PYL could “borrow” from WOF (or some other gameshow(s)) and have a week full of nine contestants.  3 different ones on Monday – Wednesday, the winners of each game battle on Thursday, and then have your bonus round on Friday.  Whatever happens, happens, but 9 new players the following week.

Given the success of ABC Fun & Games, it would be nice to see PYL, as well as Match Game, Pyramid & CS return to daily TV.  Not just Family Feud, for reasons.  Best of luck finding any space on the networks though!  Of course, in addition to that long shot, the fact is those are all hosted by A-List folks, which, while great, there are only 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, and 12 months in a year
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Given the success of ABC Fun & Games, it would be nice to see PYL, as well as Match Game, Pyramid & CS return to daily TV.  Not just Family Feud, for reasons.  Best of luck finding any space on the networks though!  Of course, in addition to that long shot, the fact is those are all hosted by A-List folks, which, while great, there are only 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, and 12 months in a year

I think Pyramid and maybe Card Sharks could work with their hosts retained from ABC Fun & Games. Though Michael Strahan from the former has his Good Morning America and NFL on FOX duties, while Joel McHale has or had a recurring role on The CW series Stargirl. But as you said, it is just a pipe dream to have game shows on daily besides the courtroom shows that remain on the air for years and the celebrity hosted talkers that last either a year or two.

Though this is unrelated to returning champions on ABC's Fun & Games block, but the network has just released a full promo for Supermarket Sweep.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
They made up for that add a one from last week by having it hit this week by a contestant with $0 (which of course became a huge $10) :)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
Anyone know, have they run through all the PYL and Celebrity Feud episodes they had in the tank, or is this another extended break until they decided to pick it back up again in a few weeks? I’m assuming it’s the former and we’re all done until probably next summer, but I was really getting into PYL.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2020, 03:27:59 PM »
According to thefutoncritic.com, Press Your Luck and Celebrity Family Feud have aired all their episodes and have wrapped their seasons. Match Game still has three unaired episodes (509, 510, 512). The $100,000 Pyramid filmed its fifth season, but there's still no word on when it will air. I heard that it was supposed to air in winter, but with Celebrity Wheel of Fortune, The Chase, and The Hustler, they might have to wait until next summer.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2020, 04:20:17 PM »
if all of PYL aired, i would wonder where the teased Feud Whammy gone

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2020, 09:27:40 PM »
They have not aired all of PYL's episodes. They had 13 recorded and have only aired eight. Disappointed that they've decided to hold them over like they do with Match Game, but I suspect a fear of not being able to record a new season in the spring for the summer is the motivating factor behind holding this and Pyramid.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »
Are the 3 Tomarken era players who played are the only ones returning to play on the revival this season or is there any reunion specials? I can only remember them with Cathy Cisneros who went with "Cookie" before on the show, she played last season.