Author Topic: Supermarket Sweep Revival  (Read 10838 times)

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
Supermarket Sweep Revival
« on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »
Just like with any revival of a show I watched as a kid, the new Supermarket Sweep will take some time to get used to.  Leslie is a bit more energetic than David Ruprecht, but you can tell that she is enjoying hosting.

I'm so glad they kept the classic, "Next time you're in the checkout and hear the beep..." line!  Nostalgia for me!!

If you watched, what did you think?

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Supermarket Sweep Revival
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
Leslie Jones gave me a headache. Literally.

Not a fan, but I'll give it another week.
1,700 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
I wasn't going to give it a chance because I thought it was going to be bad. Now that I gave it a chance, I wish I took my own advice sooner.

Leslie wasn't as terrible as I thought she would be, but her style still hasn't changed at all. While she has a good handle of the game, she spends way too much time cracking jokes instead of explaining the bonuses and the rules.

I'm not a fan of having all three teams play the Mini-Sweep. It's hard to judge between multiple players who would grab the item first. Aside from that, I liked the new twists they did for the questions to build up sweep time. Keeping the "scrambled letters" while giving it an egg theme was a nice touch. I wouldn't have accepted "Breath Mint" for "Breath Mints", though.

I don't think I ever saw fruits and vegetables as inflatables or shopping list items on the Lifetime/PAX era, so some good variety there. That's where the good parts of the show end. Having the goals of the florist shop and the revamped coffee station rely on circumstances beyond the contestants' control is stupid. Part of the fun was whether the contestant could memorize a list of bread at the International Bread Center or had the patience to grind a bag of coffee. Seeing a vendor fumble over flower or coffee orders isn't exciting, it's frustrating. I also don't like the second sweep requiring the contestant who found the grape bonus to pull off only one sticker. It's not climactic and relies too much on luck.

As I feared, they really botched the Bonus Sweep. The addition of the money tree and forcing a decision to risk a team's winnings decimates the fun factor. Plus, they can't even give away a consolation bonus if a team can't find the first three items? Bastardized would be putting it nicely.

Give me the reruns on Buzzr any day.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:24:59 PM »
Leslie didn't bother me as much as I thought that she would. She actually interjects some energy into the Q&A portion.  But what stood out to me was how the energy is sucked out of the sweep when she narrates it in real time. In previous incarnations the announcer was really able to build up the energy here with the narration recorded in post than what happened here. The impact of this production decision really surprised me.

I wasn't a dedicated watcher of previous versions, just occasional. So I can't really speak to the changes in game play as I struggle to remember how they were in the past.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:38:35 PM »
As I feared, they really botched the Bonus Sweep. The addition of the money tree and forcing a decision to risk a team's winnings decimates the fun factor. Plus, they can't even give away a consolation bonus if a team can't find the first three items? Bastardized would be putting it nicely.

Give me the reruns on Buzzr any day.

Sounds like they went the route PYL did, tacking on a bonus game that really didn't need to be there. Not a fan of that idea. Not everything needs some huge money tree/huge money amount just for the sake of it. Detracts from some shows, this being one.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:41:25 PM »
Sounds like they went the route PYL did, tacking on a bonus game that really didn't need to be there. Not a fan of that idea. Not everything needs some huge money tree/huge money amount just for the sake of it. Detracts from some shows, this being one.

Press Your Luck's bonus round is one of the reasons PYL is the best of the ABC's ENTIRE block.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »
Press Your Luck's bonus round is one of the reasons PYL is the best of the ABC's ENTIRE block.

That's your opinion, and that's fine, but I personally don't feel it was/is necessary. The game is plenty dramatic enough, and a block of 2 half hours back to back woulda worked just fine standalone to me.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »

Like what Adam said, Press Your Luck's bonus round adds good drama to the game. It grew on me because the payouts are rewarding and it gets really suspenseful at its best. Someone almost got to the half million mark earlier this year.

What they did for Supermarket Sweep was take a bonus round that worked fine as is and modernized it beyond recognition. It would be fine if there was just one payout for three items, but adding safe havens before deciding whether or not to look for the next product is too much. Supermarket Sweep shouldn't have the same risk factor that PYL has.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »
I didn't hate it, but I can't say I loved it either. I liked the games in the main game, but it just felt so condensed and I didn't like the Round Robin being a game instead of its own thing like it was on the Lifetime/PAX version. I wish they kept the original mini sweep format also. I liked Leslie's commentary in the bonus round, it was fun seeing her in what looked like a manager's office. Personally I'm fine with the additions to the bonus round, I think it needed something extra for primetime as opposed to a low-budget cable show. The time added on for the final two items was pretty generous.

Leslie definitely has energy, and she's clearly enjoying herself, but she did get grating at times.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
Like what Adam said, Press Your Luck's bonus round adds good drama to the game. It grew on me because the payouts are rewarding and it gets really suspenseful at its best. Someone almost got to the half million mark earlier this year.

What they did for Supermarket Sweep was take a bonus round that worked fine as is and modernized it beyond recognition. It would be fine if there was just one payout for three items, but adding safe havens before deciding whether or not to look for the next product is too much. Supermarket Sweep shouldn't have the same risk factor that PYL has.

My thing is you can sorta predict I think how far a game goes with the bonus round due to timing, besides the fact that the whole "solo player with a backstory" thing is pretty tired hat at this point, having been done so many times before. I really coulda done without it, like I said PYL by itself has plenty of drama organically, it didn't need more.

And yeah.....I agree with you on SS. If anything, if they really wanted to do a bigger payout, a system wherein they get xxx amount if they get all 3 within say 30 seconds or less, or 45 seconds even if they wanted to keep the $50k and $100k possibilities both, woulda been better than this. At least then, you'd keep the spirit of the round intact vs. altering it completely.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 12:27:17 AM »
Something that makes PYL's bonus round, and to a much lesser degree this one, work is that when we're watching game shows, we're watching the game shows to see average people like us win life-altering amounts of money and prizes that we could only dream about. It intrigues us......which is why Millionaire with celebrities is grating (especially tonight's), because we don't want to just watch celebrities all day. It bores the mind. (Not to mention $32,000 guarantees kill all suspense until the $64000 question.)

Yes, if you're paying attention to the clock, then the rounds become predictable, but I don't think the general public is commonly watching the show and the clock.

Like, I do think they should make it $25K or $100K or bust, rather than have the split at $50K for a 2nd bailout. Seems like something that needs to be ironed out in later editions.

If I had to make a suggestion, standing awkwardly with the bonuses looks weird on television.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 12:57:18 AM »
Something that makes PYL's bonus round, and to a much lesser degree this one, work is that when we're watching game shows, we're watching the game shows to see average people like us win life-altering amounts of money and prizes that we could only dream about. It intrigues us......which is why Millionaire with celebrities is grating (especially tonight's), because we don't want to just watch celebrities all day. It bores the mind. (Not to mention $32,000 guarantees kill all suspense until the $64000 question.)

Hate the typical celebrity format in US for this reason to this day lol. Especially when you had so much help in the Regis days particularly up to $32k, sorta kills the point of the game.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 02:56:34 AM »
That's your opinion, and that's fine, but I personally don't feel it was/is necessary. The game is plenty dramatic enough, and a block of 2 half hours back to back woulda worked just fine standalone to me.
I honestly think it was a matter of time. The game being so unpredictable means they could have games that run over. By having the main game lead into a bonus game meant there was a chance to allow the main game to breathe and not edit as much (sometimes, it's simply unavoidable).

I know Leslie's loud and brash style isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. I think her energy lends itself well to the frenetic energy most of the show finds itself in.

I don't mind the change to the bonus round. Fact of the matter is that in primetime it needs a big top prize and 3 in 60 for $100K is a little too easy. This rewards smart players for quickly finding items, remembering and navigating the store properly.

There's something things off about the show, as to be expected, but it really came off fine in my opinion and I look forward to watching next week.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 04:18:53 AM »
I just watched it, and it's clear they're going for a more humorous angle. I know that's not what I want, but it fills in that zany part of the lineup that's usually occupied by Match Game or Holey Moley.

Taking a few notes throughout the game:

• In general, I feel the show is intentionally leaning into the more chaotic side, and the change in the Mini-Sweep iterates that pretty well. I'd say that's more fun than just "Oh, now that your partner buzzed in, if you give it to me in 30 seconds... or 20... blah blah"
  • They integrated more "characters" into this version, like the security guard, "bagger", and the sweep bonus (florist/barista this episode). The bagger giving a one-line zinger is fine, I wasn't the biggest fan of repeating the same gag for the security guard, but the maingame bonus goes a bit overboard. In theory, with some of the past bonuses, like the coffee grinder or candy counter or international bread section/magazines, it is up to the player to control their fate (technically it was possible to get some cans of coffee while holding down the button, candy counter could be a one-shot thing, memorization played a role along with an additional list), but it's obvious that they're stalling for a predetermined time designated by the producers.
  • I wasn't that big of a fan of the ruling on Lucky Charms in Sweep Right - the contestant was able to say the brand, which was enough for the Hamburger Helper Hand and the Nesquick Bunny. However, it's a fine game.
  • Stop Faking It feels like another variation of the vanilla game they played in the PAX/Lifetime series, and same with the slogan game.
  • Not a fan of reusing the same game twice in one episode. My mind instantly jumps to Don't, which did repeat games throughout the season, but always had five unique games. I know there can't be that many games you can do with grocery products, but it just seemed odd to do in a season premiere.
  • However, I am a fan that both games aren't played for the same amount of time; it seems like Game 1 is for a maximum of 60 seconds, while Game 2 is for 30-40 seconds. That way, the weaker player, if necessary, doesn't have to play as much, but still can bank a considerable amount of time. It adds a layer of strategy that's a little more apparent than in the 90s.
  • The Round Robin game is supposed to be rapid fire, and I don't like the direction they went here, because it slows down the game.
  • I already stated I'm not a fan of the acts for the extra bonus, but the Golden Cans are a better version of the Manager's special. Honestly, it was too hard to follow what was going on; that's why the 90s version had a dedicated announcer do a sports play-by-play of every action. Due to the focus on the team doing nothing, only grabbing bonuses, and the focus on the florist, I thought all three teams played the Sweep very poorly until the final totals rang. Leslie was a frantic game show host the entire hour, which is fine to keep the energy up, but bad when she's also trying to help you make sense of what's happening in the middle of guffawing at a prearranged skit.

Although I appreciate an endgame with generous bailouts (and a guaranteed 21 seconds to go for a fourth item for $50,000 is REALLY nice), the bonus round worked because it was one last burst of frantic energy, and the bailout options slow this frantic game to a halt. In addition, adding 20 seconds for item four, then 15 seconds for item 5 is a bit awkward. It's not a one-to-one comparison, but there is another show on television right now that ends with a contestant finding five grocery items for a grand prize - Guy's Grocery Games. After beating three other chefs in a cook-off, the contestant has to find five grocery items in 2 minutes. I'd say the contestants get around 3 to 5 items each time with harder hints (culinary info like "This is what muddles a mojito" vs the riddles). I think it would scale about right if it was a 90-second bonus round, with a money ladder of $10,000 for three correct items, $25,000 for four, and $100,000 for five (or if you really insist, keep the $25k/$50k/$100k).

7.5/10, and I'll be back next week for sure. I was expecting Leslie to put all the attention on her, but at her highs she was a good game show host, and at her lows she was much easier to tune out than I thought she'd be.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »
Taking a few notes throughout the game:

Although I appreciate an endgame with generous bailouts (and a guaranteed 21 seconds to go for a fourth item for $50,000 is REALLY nice), the bonus round worked because it was one last burst of frantic energy, and the bailout options slow this frantic game to a halt. In addition, adding 20 seconds for item four, then 15 seconds for item 5 is a bit awkward. It's not a one-to-one comparison, but there is another show on television right now that ends with a contestant finding five grocery items for a grand prize - Guy's Grocery Games. After beating three other chefs in a cook-off, the contestant has to find five grocery items in 2 minutes. I'd say the contestants get around 3 to 5 items each time with harder hints (culinary info like "This is what muddles a mojito" vs the riddles). I think it would scale about right if it was a 90-second bonus round, with a money ladder of $10,000 for three correct items, $25,000 for four, and $100,000 for five (or if you really insist, keep the $25k/$50k/$100k).

I like this idea. You could format it $10k/$25k/$50k/$100k I think, starting with second item to make it scale properly. I'd back that.