Author Topic: Supermarket Sweep Revival  (Read 10836 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Supermarket Sweep Revival
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 08:24:58 AM »
Watching several classic 1993 & 2000 episodes on BUZZR leading up to the premiere surely gave me some "future shock" upon embarking on this "high caffeine" version.

One of the Shopping List items on tonight's show included the name of the duo who recorded the new theme song that's more appropriate for a "throwback Thursday" series. At least we didn't get to hear the "Uh-baby-baby". The question round sound effects were fairly faithful to the Ruprecht era, though I'm scared that the new Mini-Sweep format could lead into some brawls. But most of the games weren't bad. After all, Stop Faking It is similar to Whew! questions, and I enjoyed the return of the logo game which was used in the classic version, and the Scrambled Letters game had an added anagram challenge to it as well as one fewer clue.

The second Big Sweep was better produced than the first one (and much closer as well, with all three teams coming within $100 of each other), which just felt like a giant mess of banter and not enough of the items the players. It was neat seeing a "Hero" winning a complimentary sweatshirt as well, and each show had different colored sweatshirts. I'd wish each team had their own number though to make it easier to identify. The red lasers during the final few seconds of the sweep are a bit over the top however, and the countdown clock doesn't appear until ten seconds are left instead of 30. Finally, have the Super Sweep (formerly the Bonus Sweep) simply be five items for 90 seconds, with a $50,000 top prize and $500 for each item picked if all five aren't found. That way, we could still see some contestants walk out with around $5000 for not winning it all with a terrific sweep, which still isn't too bad at all and close to the payouts of the classic version.

Remember that the 1990 episodes of the Lifetime version had similar weirdness to it, right down to the different colored sweatshirts. At least Mr. Yuk didn't come back this time. We'll see how long it lasts. I'd give it a 6/10 overall.

With perhaps the most prolific big win spoiler in game show history where you need to be in a Covid coma to avoid it, I absolutely refused to give Millionaire a chance, and won't until civilian contestants return.

Meanwhile, I thought Card Sharks was the best of the bunch with its new season. You had a more appropriately sized main game where the game didn't end on a bad card during Sudden Death (and even a game that didn't need it at all), as well as the return of the Push rule in the Money Cards. If they just got rid of the bailout option on the final card in MC (aka the old "Big Bet"), then I'd be all for it. After all, if you've got like $50K going and don't see a great card, you can still accept $25K with the minimum and settle for $25K if you miss it while still hoping for $75K. It still has the same great questions, a pretty good host, and a set that plays a great homage to the classic NBC version. And we got two big winners to boot!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:28:57 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 09:25:49 AM »

With perhaps the most prolific big win spoiler in game show history where you need to be in a Covid coma to avoid it, I absolutely refused to give Millionaire a chance, and won't until civilian contestants return.

The first of the civilians started right after Tiffany departed.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
I Liked what I saw, a lot.

Leslie is...fine. She did seem louder (especially in the first one) but Part of me thinks that because the set is so cavernous (not like that its a bad thing) that she’s more amplified and because there’s no audience, she may feel she has to be louder. I think with time, she could get pretty good. She didn’t deserve ANY of the hate I’ve seen that mocks her appearance though.

I love the set. Love the format change and love that new final sweep round. It's orimetime...so I expected some changes and there's definitely a shift to comedy. Right now- for these times? That's ok! And again...this is a game where people throw stuff into carts..it shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Did not love the theme song change to “Push it.” (i also hated how Funny you Should Ask used Happy too though)

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
Do the contestants drink like, a gallon of Monster or something before heading onto the set?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline Archviler

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »
Meh. I was not impressed. Too over the top, too frantic (though I did like the mini sweeps being communal now) and just too...too much. 4/10 personally, but it could rise as they work out the flaws.

I also didn't like the host, but that's not the show or the host's fault. (She reminds me of a really bad boss I had and it dredges up bad memories. Unfortunate.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:11:16 PM by Archviler »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »
There are civilian contestants playing this season as well, specifically front-line workers.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »
One thing that made the old version more exciting at the end of the Bonus Sweep was the contestants actually getting their hands on the money to win.  My two cents to make the bonus game flow better:

• Add back the money fan to the third item to win $25k.
  • Skip the $50k stop and just make them have to find two more products to earn $100k.
  • If they want to risk their $25k to go for $100k, then they have to turn the money into Leslie in the manager's office to get the next clue.
  • Have a different money fan for the $100k.

But even with the show the way it stands, I will be watching again next week!

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 03:11:18 AM »
I seen bit and pieces, The set is very nice

I hope Leslie tones it down she's loud and kinda annoying.

I am not a fan of Celebrity Millionaire i think its boring it's more exciting seeing regular people win. I don't know

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
After watching it again to be able to get a clear opinion, I will say this- ABC has been, for the most part, great when it comes to reviving classic game shows.

That being said, this...was a mess.

First, the positives: they didn't tinker much with the format. Still three games to build up sweep time, the Big Sweep, and the Bonus Sweep. The set looks gorgeous, though perhaps a little too much like that grocery store nobody can afford to actually shop at (more on that later). They're clearly trying to bring the show into the 21st century, which I can never fault anyone for.

The new games were fine, too (though did we need to see one of them basically twice in an hour?), but suffered from pacing issues.

Unfortunately, the show (much like the Weakest Link revival) suffers from questionable to poor production decisions.

First off the bat, what the hell happened to the theme song? All of the other revivals have used remastered versions of their original theme songs... but they went and replaced the theme song with a Salt -N-Pepa song. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just use the original theme song as opposed to license Push It? Additionally, all of the other cues used during the show sounded like stock music a five year old banged out on a keyboard in about five minutes. They can do better.

I'm sorry, but Leslie Jones is not funny, not talented, and not good at her job. She's just... annoying. Sure she may have been a superfan of the show, but that doesn't mean she's a good host. She did alright explaining the rules and keeping the game moving to an extent, but the constant interjecting of jokes and side bits is time that could have been better spent elsewhere (more on that later as well).

Is it just me, or did the Big Sweep seem like half of it was edited out? There was so much editing it felt like it ran way shorter than it was supposed to... and since the Big Sweep is the part of the show that everyone looks forward to, this isn't where you want to edit stuff out! Definitely not a fan of the coffee and flower bonuses, not necessarily because they rely on someone else to get done in a timely manner, but because it's quite obvious that the extras they cast as the store employees were told to look as inept as possible... which is a massive insult to us retail workers who have been on the front lines and dealing with the worst of consumerism during this pandemic. Leslie added nothing to the proceedings, either... I much prefer the announcer providing play-by-play in post after it's all edited together to tell more of a coherent story.

Another minor nitpick... they either need to speed up the money increasing in the graphic during the Big Sweep reveal... Leslie read the totals before the graphic even showed the final amount.

Honestly, while it's nice that they increased the budget to fit primetime, it cost the show a lot of its charm. Sweep was always a low-budget cable show, and that's what helped make the show what it was... the thrill of watching ordinary people run through the supermarket grabbing whatever they could get their hands on was the best part of the show. Who doesn't want to do that? This version lost that low-budget charm which causes the whole thing to feel off.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
I seen it and this is my opinion. I think it was ok for a premiere. I think the mini sweep should go back to the Ruprecht era. I didn't mind the starting time being 2:00 to start with at all. I personally think it might take time to getting used to. As for the bonus round it was unique. I think they should do a guaranteed $25,000 or $50,000 regardless of the outcome. On a scale from 1-10 I give it 7.5/10. I also don't like the way they didn't do the sweatshirts in this version. I prefer the Ruprecht era sweatshirts.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
I really didn’t like this, but I didn’t hate it enough to give up on it. Leslie Jones is too energetic, too over the top, it distracts from the game itself. The host’s job is to keep the game moving along, not to overshadow the game itself, and here Leslie absolutely overshadows the game.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »
Having just finished watching both episodes:

- Leslie is awful. She's loud, annoying, and puts herself over the contestants when the show is suppose to be about them. Shut up please.

- The mini-sweep is the best part; Having the three of them race to the product was pretty funny.

- The games are okay. The Round Robin should be it's own thing though. The Scrambled Eggs round reminded me of the old GSN show Camouflage.

- The Big Sweep was one big gigantic mess. Like cu said, they didn't show the entire sweep. The first sweep was set at 3:20; I clocked it around 2:43. The second sweep was set at 2:50; I clocked it around 2:08. I know I'm being nit-picky but it's better to say anyways. Leslie narrating the sweep was god-awful. Like other users said, it's best when it's done play-by-play style instead of live narration. Leslie's shopping list was a homage to the early 1990s version, which I enjoyed. The flower and coffee stands however are a different story. It's entirely luck-based and it's forced humor. I understand you want to incorporate it, but it comes off as mocking those who actually works these jobs, especially during the pandemic where work is really scarce. Let the contestants show the humor, not the paid extras.

- I didn't mind the revamped Bonus Sweep as long as it kept the original format with added drama and risking high money amounts.

Overall, I will stick to the calm, low-budgeted show on Buzzr.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 11:50:59 PM »
Having watched the revival on the DVR Monday morning, and I'm also not being thrilled by it. But there are some things about that include honoring grocery store workers and giving them money and a sweater, along with a few changes in the gameplay that I like but that is about it with the revival.

And I thank the game show gods for Buzzr’s reruns and Netflix for the 15 episodes that they currently have available that we can see the Lifetime/PAX version at any time than this “Let’s fill the old Extreme Makeover: Home Edition & Once Upon A Time timeslot with a filler series while we wait for American Idol to return in the spring.” show.

Offline inAZ

• Outside in Line
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:02 AM »
Mini review:

-The set was beautiful but way too small.
-The games to earn time were nice.
-The host is absolutely terrible.
-The intro music is terrible.
-The finally game needs to be reworked like others said above.  Don't have them risk their cash to go for the bigger amount.  Don't pause the game in the middle of the run and ask if they want to continue.

I probably will not watch anymore episodes.  If they had a different host I would be a big fan but that's probably not going to change.

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 10:12:49 AM »
The set here looks more like the UK set
The most likely announcer for this new version who should also do play-by-play during the Big Sweep should be Mitch Lewis(the one who announced the most recent version of Beat the Clock on PAX, On The Cover, it sounds like him as well on America Says)
Some of you would like to see another host for this show if it gets renewed for next season, my suggestions for host replacements for next season, if it goes that far should be Keenen Ivory Wayans(another ILC member to host a game show, he also should've been a candidate to become one of the announcers for the current version of Family Feud), or maybe the lady from The View can host this show as she has previous game show experience.