Author Topic: 3 Primetime Episodes in late 2020 (10/27, 11/2, 12/22)  (Read 14884 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 3 Primetime Episodes in late 2020 (10/27, 11/2, TBA)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
Given it’s a sizable change to how they’re doing things, I’d hope they did some rehearsing to go through the things they want to cover at the top of the show.

Some things sound like complaints for the sake of complaining.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »
So, we are in the middle of a global pandemic, and instead of being happy that we are getting new episodes (in primetime no less), we're gonna whine and complain that it's not like it was before. Hello! Nothing is the same as it was before. I want nothing more than things to be like they were before, nay I want them to be better than they were before, but we have to accept that this is how it is for quite some time. Instead of nitpicking and complaining, just be happy they can find a way to produce a show that relies so heavily on audience participation and large crowds.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
A great point. And with a once-unimaginable change in circumstances, perhaps second in magnitude only to a host change or similar event, it’s to be expected things on the initial go-arounds will be a bit clunky. It’s going to take some time under their belt after a longer layoff, coming back to a modified way of doing things and perhaps understandable jitters about the experience.

They found a way to do it. Cheers to them for that. I give respect to all of the crews that have found ways to make their shows work under challenging conditions.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »
That's exactly how I feel about it. The fact that the show has been able to adapt to the way things are currently and keep all games and not really change the actual concept of what The Price is Right is is quite marvelous and I for one am excited for tonight's spectacular event. Those who don't like it don't have to watch it. There are plenty of older episodes on the internet to watch instead.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
No spoilers from the episode but I thought everything was so well done. The over dramatic come on downs are weird without an audience cheering them on but that's obviously not the shows fault. The only thing that felt off to me, not the shows fault, was the big wheel without all 3 standing there, otherwise the show felt pretty surprisingly normal to me.

Very well done!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »
It was really well done, given the circumstances. I found it fun that I was able to see the where the permanent stage ended and the false floor began.
I often wonder if this show was experimenting and things will be ironed out by the time November's premiere comes around.

This would be the one time I'd say having the oversized asterisks do subtle color changes would give the back of the house some movement. Leaving them on a static color made it look boring.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2020, 12:55:12 AM »
Personally, I was impressed at how much the show did feel like itself.  The only things that truly looked odd were the lack of a line at the Big Wheel and Drew having to host the Showcase from halfway across the Turntable -- and that's saying something, considering they had to completely reinvent Contestants' Row.

The one thing that genuinely disappointed me was that George wasn't shown calling down any contestants -- but I can understand that there might not have been a way to shoot that without it looking really weird.

Major props to everyone at the show for getting everything up and running again, and huge props to Drew for reminding everyone to wear a mask.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Blissey

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 03:30:25 AM »
I watched the first special on All Access before sitting down to watch this week's new episode of Star Trek: Discovery and really enjoyed it, realizing (like some people may have to do) that if TPIR is to survive this situation, it must evolve to meet the demands COVID has placed on our society.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »
The first special was great. I can't say I love everything they've done, but if that's what it takes to get the show on the air I'll deal with it. Price feels like one of the last shows to get back on the air (and understandably so). The oddest things for me were the lack of audience and the 6 feet apart aspect. Can't say I'm a fan of Drew's beard either and really hope he tires of it sooner than later.

Just finishing the second special and I have to say I love The Neighborhood (one of my favorite current sitcoms) and TPiR is my favorite show, but they do not go together. Price is Right doesn't work as a celebrity-only show for me. It felt awkward for 90% of the show and really just felt like a bunch of friends getting together to play some games. The prizes and lineup didn't do it for me either and didn't feel very primetime. Hopefully the final one has a feel more similar to the first one. Really looking forward to the daytime show coming back in a couple weeks.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »
The first special was great. I can't say I love everything they've done, but if that's what it takes to get the show on the air I'll deal with it. Price feels like one of the last shows to get back on the air (and understandably so). The oddest things for me were the lack of audience and the 6 feet apart aspect. Can't say I'm a fan of Drew's beard either and really hope he tires of it sooner than later.

Just finishing the second special and I have to say I love The Neighborhood (one of my favorite current sitcoms) and TPiR is my favorite show, but they do not go together. Price is Right doesn't work as a celebrity-only show for me. It felt awkward for 90% of the show and really just felt like a bunch of friends getting together to play some games. The prizes and lineup didn't do it for me either and didn't feel very primetime. Hopefully the final one has a feel more similar to the first one. Really looking forward to the daytime show coming back in a couple weeks.

The way of doing prizes made sense, seeing that it was going to a charity and unlike other times where the celebrity was playing with a regular person there was no one else to give the "prizes" to.

Seems that they could have found a couple other people to fill in (like a couple of more minor reoccurring cast members, even get Wayne to come over as he was in one of the episodes) rather than having to "re-call" a couple people, though.

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2020, 07:49:17 PM »
Does TPIR gain any time from the new format?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »
Does TPIR gain any time from the new format?

At night or in general? Nighttime has a few extra minutes built in cause it's Primetime, but otherwise no. Ad time is not fluid like that.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 09:42:41 PM »
I figured the third special would be a holiday special December 21 to pair with Deal's. Wonder why it wasn't announced right away.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
They might have been working the overall schedule based on what other content needed to be scheduled and when.