Author Topic: 3 Primetime Episodes in late 2020 (10/27, 11/2, 12/22)  (Read 14978 times)

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: 3 Primetime Episodes in late 2020 (10/27, 11/2, TBA)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
I have a gut feeling there won't be any IUFBs, and the games will all be for money, the way a Big Money Week Friday episode works. That only leaves the showcases, which, for all I know, will have a home viewer assigned to each of the two celebrities involved.

It looks like they are doing IUFBs.

Either the press release didn't mention the three other members of the cast that didn't "get on stage", or that means 3 people playing IUFB #4, 2 playing IUFB #5, and them joking around when one person is left.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »
Date TBA - guest Phil Keoghan; I am guessing an The Amazing Race tie-in of some sort

The Amazing Race started its extremely delayed 32nd season last Wednesday.  I'm guessing that Phil's appearance on LMAD will air prior to the show's season finale, which is slated for December
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »
What about the TPIR episode of Gameshow Marathon?

Touche. I totally forgot about that. Granted it was a one-off deal separate from normal show canon, but.....still would count.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 09:57:00 PM »
Well, it'll certainly be interesting to get our first two tastes of Covid-era Price as primetime specials before season 49 starts on November 16. Love that they and LMaD are doing a first responders special to start off.

For the November 2 episode with The Neighborhood cast, I wonder how the format will play out. It's just the six adult cast members (my guess is Hank Greenspan won't be playing by himself since he's a child and rather he'll play along with the others), so I wonder if they will use the half hour format with a Showcase Showdown included and have home viewer play along and other additional material to get it to an hour. Or there will be three (two if Hank plays as a contestant solo) other actors/actresses who appear on the show besides the ones listed to have nine contestants.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:07:48 PM by JayC »

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 11:35:18 PM »
For the November 2 episode with The Neighborhood cast, I wonder how the format will play out. It's just the six adult cast members (my guess is Hank Greenspan won't be playing by himself since he's a child and rather he'll play along with the others), so I wonder if they will use the half hour format with a Showcase Showdown included and have home viewer play along and other additional material to get it to an hour. Or there will be three (two if Hank plays as a contestant solo) other actors/actresses who appear on the show besides the ones listed to have nine contestants.

I also think they will have actors who play recurring characters on the series fill the remaining three spots. Though there is going the route of having three members of the production team be contestants for this special. But we just have to wait and see what they will do for the contestants in this special.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
I also think they will have actors who play recurring characters on the series fill the remaining three spots. Though there is going the route of having three members of the production team be contestants for this special. But we just have to wait and see what they will do for the contestants in this special.

The press release lists seven actors - not particularly coincidentally, the seven that appear on the show's cast page at the CBS website. They can limit the last two IUFBs to three and then two contestants. The show's Wikipedia page also lists three "recurring characters" they can use, and there's always, say, show creator/executive producer Jim Reynolds.

It lists Hank Greenspan as a contestant, but how old is he? (Then again, the show has had no problems with middle schoolers playing without any adults accompanying them.)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: New Primetime Episode(s) Airing Imminently
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »
I think another difference between these shows and Y&R is that Y&R didn't have to drastically change much in order to come back. Some awkward distancing and trick camera shots to cover up some of that distancing and imply close contact. These are two shows completely reliant on having and featuring audiences, so there's far more interest as well in seeing how they adapt to such a drastic adjustment. So, it's not only to fill a hole, but it's because they know there will also be some interest. More than Y&R just picking up and finishing its "Victor's covering up a 30 year old murder"

Given the plethora of news, both light and serious, coming at the average person on a daily basis, I’d be hard pressed to believe “changes to Price and Deal” even registered to many, let alone are driving a statistically meaningful spike in viewing. It’s just not realistic. Price, and perhaps Deal now, makes good filler content. That’s not a knock. It’s important for the networks to have that in their quiver.

Once the show begins and Drew does whatever perfunctory explanation they came up with, sure, you may get some “huh, how about that” reactions. But it’s nearly only going to be a specific set of hyper-invested people who are going to remember that the new setup is happening and tune in because of it. The remainder will be the combination of inertia and casual viewers who happen to see a promo or in their guide and decide to watch/record because they just feel like watching (they like the show, they like the theme, etc.)

And again, the point about Y&R is that it is just as valuable a property to CBS daytime. Price is not on a pedestal where it gets slotted in prime time to goose the daytime.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 06:45:43 AM »
I wonder if they're going to have Triple Play, 3 Strikes, or Squeeze Play for Tuesday's show since last night's Rays win makes Game 6 necessary, and of course TPIR's home market will likely be tuning into another network. Set the DVR if you're a Dodgers/Rays fan since the game will be starting over on the east coast, and since many World Series game have the tendency to run long, may overlap with at least part of the west coast airing.

I feel that if they come down to just two bidders remaining in contestants row, they may as well make it Card Sharks-style like those educated guess questions with player two simply saying higher or lower (though of course with the without going over rule remaining in effect).
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
Pannoni, they might have those games, they might not.  If they do, I think it'll be simply coincidental.  I'd bet that they won't given the nature of Tuesday's special (and when it was taped), and the focus of the episode.

I don't see Tuesday's show having any relation to the World Series, which was one strike away from a chance that it could've been over Sunday night, along with the fact that the show could've aired a week earlier or a week later.

With two bidders in contestants row, I'm hoping for bids of $1 and $2.  For the record, I have not seen the episode, so if that actually happened, sorry if that moment ruined one's viewing.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Card Sharks educated guess format, BTW.

It lists Hank Greenspan as a contestant, but how old is he? (Then again, the show has had no problems with middle schoolers playing without any adults accompanying them.)

I believe he's 10.  That's not even middle-school age.  Sure there are a handful of people that progress through the school system at a rapid pace, but ten is ten.  I think if Hank is on the show he'll be okay.  There was someone on AGT that almost won a decade ago, and she was 10 during her appearance

Edited for tags and a couple other things
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:09:03 PM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
There would be absolutely no connection either way to the World Series.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
I don't see Tuesday's show having any relation to the World Series, which was one strike away from a chance that it could've been over Sunday night, along with the fact that the show could've aired a week earlier or a week later.

The only real effect I can see the WS having on ratings is in southern California, especially if the Dodgers are ahead late in the game, since it will be on at the same time as the game is ending.

I believe he's 10.  That's not even middle-school age.  Sure there are a handful of people that progress through the school system at a rapid pace, but ten is ten.  I think if Hank is on the show he'll be okay.  There was someone on AGT that almost won a decade ago, and she was 10 during her appearance

The problem isn't whether or not he's capable - after all, he's a TV actor - but how they handle it. Do they offer cars, knowing he probably doesn't know very much about pricing them? (This isn't that much of a problem; hold him back until the second half of the show, and play three non-car games.) What if he makes it to the Showcase?

I'm a little surprised they're including him; usually, "the kids" are ignored in things like this.
Cases in point in the Everybody Loves Raymond retrospective that aired along with its season finale, the three siblings that played Ray's kids weren't even mentioned, much less interviewed.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »
The problem isn't whether or not he's capable - after all, he's a TV actor - but how they handle it. Do they offer cars, knowing he probably doesn't know very much about pricing them? (This isn't that much of a problem; hold him back until the second half of the show, and play three non-car games.) What if he makes it to the Showcase?
I wouldn't be surprise if they allowed him to have some "help" should he come across any prizes he might not know. On the middle schooler episodes of Kids Week, they play by themselves for non-car prizes and then for those that make it to the showcases, their parents are allowed to come on stage to help them. I'm sure it's going to be a loose environment given that they all work together and they'll allow them to help each other. I also think it's going to be a different kind of show outside of the celebrity aspect.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 04:32:08 AM »
I’ve seen the “preview” video of tonight’s show and it’s as horrible as I imagined it to be.  Seemed scripted, rehearsed, and just not good.  I’ll give em this nugget though:  They did find a way to make the pre-COVID eps more watchable! (not that much 😜)

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
I’ve seen the “preview” video of tonight’s show and it’s as horrible as I imagined it to be.  Seemed scripted, rehearsed, and just not good.  I’ll give em this nugget though:  They did find a way to make the pre-COVID eps more watchable! (not that much 😜)

They have to fill that time somehow. There more than likely won't be too many contestants going to exactly three people for help in games.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:04 AM »

:roll: