Author Topic: [Minor Spoilers] CBS This Morning New Season Preview  (Read 6945 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: [Minor Spoilers] CBS This Morning New Season Preview
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 12:59:05 AM »
Yeah I don't either.....I've hated every bit of the term (and the subtle hints that this WILL stay forever in some form as time has gone on) since we began being bombarded with it ad nauseum at the start of all this mess. I wonder about the pit as well too, it's quite a dramatic change to say the least. Would take at least a little bit of time to reverse, however they could/would do it.

I think the phrasing perhaps implies "forever", but I think people panic when they go that far. Life got back on track after the Spanish Flu, things will get back on track after this. That said though, this is something that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even after a vaccine is found, the logistics of implementing it (to those that would want it) is quite an undertaking, and experts don't expect things to get back to "normal" until the end of next year. So, it makes sense to call things a "new normal" if we're going to have to adjust to things for such a long period of time (like this entire upcoming season of Price, probably). And maybe "new normal" doesn't have to mean everything that changes stays, but some things that change remain. Things that would help us be ready to combat another threat like this should one crop up again in our lifetimes.

Let's just say, the way I look at this and how others might is different, and as such I don't hold high hopes for the future much, will leave it at that.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 10:12:58 PM »
We all need to remember is to think logically. The network reported some of the highest ratings in daytime this spring- because of Price (and deal). While other shows moved to zoom (The Real, The view and 25 words) creative green screening (Drew Barrymore's new show) or, ugh, editing in of previous reactions (Masked Singer), they sought a way to bring the show back as close as they could and pretty much as soon as it was safe enough to do so. They could have put the show on extended hiatus- They didn't. They could have showed more reruns- They didn't. They could have even moved studios temporarily- they didn't. Some shows were even renewed for additional seasons on other platforms and had those offers rescinded due to the pandemic. CBS and Fremantle clearly believe in the show. I believe that whatever they do is going to keep things going until they can go back to a (new) normal.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
Its been predicted life will be some what normal the 3 quarter of 2021 after the vaccine. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/coronavirus-cdc-says-us-should-have-enough-vaccine-to-return-to-regular-life-by-third-quarter-of-2021.html

It's going to take some time getting used to TPIR with out an audience going wild. I was watching Millionaire and it wasn't the same without an audience 

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »
I don't like what Drew said at 2:56. It's as if these changes are gonna be forever. I don't want this "new normal" to stay forever. I don't think anyone does.

In context, it didn't sound to me as though "anymore" was intended to imply forever. I think we all know by now that Drew is not always super-precise with his words.

Offline PriceFan87

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
The show's official YT page posted a sneak peek of the primetime special today:

Great to see George doing well also.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 06:03:43 PM »
Knew they would still used canned applause, although in this case it's pretty comparable to sporting events where you barely even notice it.

They're still doing that left-to-right pan shot in the opening and after IUFB's are presented? Doesn't look the same with all those gaps between everyone.

So everyone is now mic'd before being called down... so why do they need the mics on the CR podiums? I know Drew's mic is a TPIR icon and you can't get rid of that even when he has a lapel mic of his own, but are the CR podium mics really necessary anymore since there aren't any unmic'd players being called "down" now?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »
So those that guessed they'll use clips for the opening before calling down the first four contestants were correct. Makes since there's no audience to do an audience pan. I think they did a good job bringing in energy and excitement in the first four calldown without the audience. Rachel's message to the first responders was very nice also.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:13 AM »
In context, it didn't sound to me as though "anymore" was intended to imply forever. I think we all know by now that Drew is not always super-precise with his words.

Same here.  I took it to mean "indefinite" or "going forward" meaning this is the new normal until further notice.  As mentioned, it might scare people into thinking this is what TPIR will be until the end of time, but that didn't cross my mind at all.  I might be a little more optimistic, and the return of sports and other business albeit with a small capacity and with restrictions helped with that.  However nothing is guaranteed & there will be setbacks (which happened with baseball until it didn't and what's happening with the NFL).

In other words, I'm taking it a week or a month at a time.  Not just Price, but everything else.  It's a nice thing that the show figured out how to operate under the current conditions.  Upon seeing it, similar to Family Feud, I'll probably give it a thumbs up for how great everything looks despite the changes
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 01:02:41 AM »
...are the CR podium mics really necessary anymore since there aren't any unmic'd players being called "down" now?
Unnecessary, yes, but IMO it would look a bit strange if the mics weren’t there.  Like Family Feud which uses a similar setup, it seems to be an aesthetic choice.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 11:09:08 AM »
Unnecessary, yes, but IMO it would look a bit strange if the mics weren’t there.  Like Family Feud which uses a similar setup, it seems to be an aesthetic choice.

Hell, Drew doesn't even need glasses anymore to that end, but he still uses them for aesthetics. And you technically don't need the hand held mic by this logic either, at least where contestants are concerned. But that's still there.

Offline Bill_Cullen_#1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 09:49:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the video (though boo to cbs for making us Canucks use a vpn).

As an old man myself, really not a fan of the beard, makes him look 15 years older. Getting really close to Santa territory (lol).