Author Topic: [Minor Spoilers] CBS This Morning New Season Preview  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
[Minor Spoilers] CBS This Morning New Season Preview
« on: October 24, 2020, 10:05:15 AM »
CBS This Morning ran a sneak preview of the new season and interview with Drew.  Contains some clips not yet seen and an interview with Drew - now sporting a full beard!

Video does show a couple of pieces of miscellaneous gameplay footage from the season, mostly from the dramatically revamped bidding podiums but also misc. gameplay from a couple of pricing games. No major spoilers, showcase results, etc.

Although this is a video, it's primary purpose is as a hype piece and discussion point for the new season - and honestly, kind of excited.  Also happy they found a way to retain the "come on down" aspect, at least somewhat.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
Re: [Minor Spoilers] CBS This Morning New Season Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
Okay, interesting to see the One-Bid podium itself flash -- I thought it was just painted wood.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:36:28 AM »
Drew's beard is gonna take some getting used to.

Curious they used so many clips with Bob, since the piece was about Price returning and changing as a result of the pandemic and not the show's history itself. I'm not surprised "Come on Down!" is still being used -- as was said in the video it's so iconic that it's not The Price is Right without the line.

There's just very short clips to go by, but my one concern is that it definitely feels and sounds empty with no audience. There's some noise with the contestants that are there, but there's just no way to fully substitute the sound and energy of the audience.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
I think I might get used to the lack of sound.  It'll take some time & this is obviously unprecedented, but I've seen a lot of competitive television shows without an audience.  Drew's new look, on the other hand, I'm already used to it.  After all, the guy has changed a lot since his debut, and I've seen Drew's work for decades.

I think the use of so many clips with Bob is a way to get fans from every era back into the show.  I think it made sense to add them, but I don't know if we needed to see that many.  There's enough history from Drew's era that features what Price was like before the pandemic.

Agree with the continued use of "Come On Down".  Iconic or not, there is no good reason to exclude that, regardless of where & how the contestants are entering contestants row
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
I think the use of so many clips with Bob is a way to get fans from every era back into the show.  I think it made sense to add them, but I don't know if we needed to see that many.  There's enough history from Drew's era that features what Price was like before the pandemic.

It's interesting the first clip they used was of Bob's era I will say with that, vs. Drew 13 years in. But I guess I see why, since he would be as established and then some as his successor is now.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »
James (model) posted about it on his Twitter page.  He has something of a new look, too:

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
I don't like what Drew said at 2:56. It's as if these changes are gonna be forever. I don't want this "new normal" to stay forever. I don't think anyone does.

I don't even know how they're gonna put back the theater pit once the pandemic ends.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:28:57 PM »
Yeah  said at 2:56. It's as if these changes are gonna be forever. I don't want this "new normal" to stay forever. I don't think anyone does.

I don't even know how they're gonna put back the theater pit once the pandemic ends.

Yeah I don't either.....I've hated every bit of the term (and the subtle hints that this WILL stay forever in some form as time has gone on) since we began being bombarded with it ad nauseum at the start of all this mess. I wonder about the pit as well too, it's quite a dramatic change to say the least. Would take at least a little bit of time to reverse, however they could/would do it.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »
Studio 31 had a theater pit, but it was covered in concrete 60 years ago. Don't know if they did that with Studio 33.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »

There really weren’t that many, just a few at the start and some B-roll for Drew’s interview. I’m assuming that they wanted to highlight energetic contestants kissing/picking up the host in the past so they could draw the contrast between that and what they’re doing now, and kissing/picking up the host was a more common thing in the Bob era. They may have even had a “Bob kissing” highlight package already edited beforehand ready to go for media purposes and this just fit the occasion.

I don’t think the CBS Morning News was making any effort to try to appeal to disgruntled “Bob era only and forever” viewers.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »
I think I might get used to the lack of sound.  It'll take some time & this is obviously unprecedented, but I've seen a lot of competitive television shows without an audience.  Drew's new look, on the other hand, I'm already used to it.  After all, the guy has changed a lot since his debut, and I've seen Drew's work for decades.
Other game and competition shows don't rely on audience participation the way Price does though. Price to a degree relies on the energy from the audience as part of the entertainment factor in a way that most other shows don't.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
The reduced commotion and confusion with no looking to the audience...it makes me wonder if they will have time for longer game lineups.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
Or some decent GP plugs and contestant banter...
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
Kudos to the CBS This Morning graphics designer who placed all of the numbers on the Big Wheel in the correct order for the opening animation.

For an idea of how the show will feel without an audience, watch this season of Card Sharks and just imagine indistinct audience noise instead of tension-creating background music. The big difference is that you'll be able to hear specific people yelling suggestions. Let's hope that this encourages contestants to think for themselves more than always relying on what others say (especially during the Showcase).

When audiences are allowed to come back, the show should have no problem reverting the studio to the way it once was. The Deadline article from earlier this month said that the extended contestant area is on decking, which makes sense -- nobody expects these changes to be permanent. The chairs have always been designed to be bolted and unbolted from the floor, and I'm sure they're in storage somewhere, waiting to be reinstalled.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »
I don't like what Drew said at 2:56. It's as if these changes are gonna be forever. I don't want this "new normal" to stay forever. I don't think anyone does.

Yeah I don't either.....I've hated every bit of the term (and the subtle hints that this WILL stay forever in some form as time has gone on) since we began being bombarded with it ad nauseum at the start of all this mess. I wonder about the pit as well too, it's quite a dramatic change to say the least. Would take at least a little bit of time to reverse, however they could/would do it.
I think the phrasing perhaps implies "forever", but I think people panic when they go that far. Life got back on track after the Spanish Flu, things will get back on track after this. That said though, this is something that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even after a vaccine is found, the logistics of implementing it (to those that would want it) is quite an undertaking, and experts don't expect things to get back to "normal" until the end of next year. So, it makes sense to call things a "new normal" if we're going to have to adjust to things for such a long period of time (like this entire upcoming season of Price, probably). And maybe "new normal" doesn't have to mean everything that changes stays, but some things that change remain. Things that would help us be ready to combat another threat like this should one crop up again in our lifetimes.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.