Author Topic: 2020 College Football  (Read 11039 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2020 College Football
« on: October 24, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
Well, the Big Ten (a.k.a. B1G) has rejoined the fray this weekend.  Ohio State gets the Saturday going (10/24/20) with Penn State resuming its season midday and finally Michigan closing it out (well, in Primetime EST).

While the season started over a month ago (albeit a week or two after it normally does), it wasn't too easy to get into the festivities.  It was still a joy to watch, but participation was incomplete.

It's obviously that the SEC is king though Clemson is carrying the ACC to where that conference has produced several national championships over the past decade.  The Big 12 isn't as great as it once was, and the Pac-12 is or isn't there.  In my opinion, it's not a real season without the Big 10.  I know that they haven't done well recently, but they're still a great and historic conference, both in football and basketball. 

I'm glad that the season is rolling.  Not really due to several postponements & cancellations, but it is much more than I though; really that was the chance at no season
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2020 College Football
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 01:20:20 PM »
The O/U on Alabama-Tennessee is 66. I'd lay odds Bama puts all 66 up themselves.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »
A couple bad beats for sure in the Bama/Vols game.  The O/U missed by one, and on a serious note, the Tide lose their best player on offense.  If we get Alabama/Clemson Part V, we'll never know whether Jaylen Waddle absence will make the difference between a win and a loss, but like the Tigers, the Crimson Tide are still stacked.

Meanwhile, North Carolina is for real, and might be able to overtake Clemson.  Probably not until next year; Ohio State's Fields might have a case over Lawrence for the Heisman.  The thing that might hurt Justin Fields is that the ACC is playing more of a full season as opposed to the Big 10.  Trevor didn't look good, but he does have time on his side

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
Clemson was a 29-point favorite vs. Boston College.  At the half, BC leads 28-10. Still plenty of time--we'll see how #1 answers.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »
Error: it was 28-13 at the half. Clemson is owning the second half, trailing now 28-26.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
Well, Clemson survived.  We'll see how the status of Lawrence impacts what should be a great game at Notre Dame

Edited for punctuation and because Notre Game isn't on Clemson's schedule
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:49:41 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »
Clemson survived Boston College but they'll need Laweernc to beat Notre Dame.

I'm more surprised Michigan lost to Sparty.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
The easy money on Georgia-Kentucky was on both Kentucky and the points and the under. Dawgs prevail but by a paltry 14-3 score (the line was 17 at kickoff and the O/U was 42).
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
I would've disagreed in previous years, but Notre Dame is better built to beat Clemson this year.  They'll need Trevor Lawrence available to practice during the week leading up to their game & not just him entering next Saturday without any reps.  A little different than Nick Saban making it for Alabama/Georgia at the 11th hour.

The Michigan loss to Michigan State didn't surprise me.  It's still too soon for anyone to know how each Big 10 team will perform this year, having returned just last week.  Another example is if Ohio State blows out Penn State tonight.  Any other year, OSU is not blowing out PSU at Beaver Stadium.

Michigan falling today was probably inevitable as well because everyone on College Gameday picked Michigan to beat Michigan State

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »
Just announced: Dabo Sweeney says Trevor Lawrence will not play next week against Notre Dame.
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 06:43:39 PM »
That should be Dabo Swinney. Apologies for the error.
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »
Michigan drops from no. 13 to no. 23 following their loss to Michigan State while Oklahoma State drops from 6 to 14. The 1 through 5 spots remain unchanged.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
Michigan drops from no. 13 to no. 23 following their loss to Michigan State while Oklahoma State drops from 6 to 14. The 1 through 5 spots remain unchanged.

Man, Michigan is such a disappointment.  That is strange to say given the fact that they've been one of the best programs over the past half-decade.  It would be a shame but not a surprise if Michigan (reluctantly) kicks out one of their own in Harbaugh.  Winless against your rival & zero division titles isn't a recipe for survival.

It really doesn't matter; they probably will lose to Ohio State again this year, I think.  The Buckeyes are too good as always.  I think 2021 will be a fair assessment for the Wolverines with optimism that we'll get closer to the old normal at the very least.

For Clemson, as mentioned, I think it's a smart move from Dabo.  Rather than have a week (especially next week) full of speculation related to Lawrence's availability, saying so now eliminates that.  Maybe Trevor will get better, but I don't think there's enough time for him to get relevant reps prior to the game at South Bend.  Not a great idea having him go in without any practice.  The best coaches never have any of their players participate without practice, no matter the reason.  That includes Swinney

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
Word now out is that Trevor Lawrence will miss the Florida State contest as well on the 21st (Clemson has a bye week on the 14th).
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
Wow.  It's more about Trevor's well-being over his return if he even comes back.

The thing is Clemson's a pretty deep team.  They probably make the playoff without Lawrence, assuming they can win enough.  It wasn't like he was returning to Clemson in 2021 anyway, so the good news is getting a head start at the future.  OTOH, if TL misses enough time, that could impact his status in the NFL, to where he could return next year.  It's too early to tell; while I wish him the best, the speculation of his future will be discussed at great length, I believe