Author Topic: 2020 College Football  (Read 10967 times)

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Re: 2020 College Football
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
And another game has been postponed as the Kansas-Texas football game, scheduled for tomorrow in Lawrence, Kansas, has been postponed to December 12th due to a combination of injuries and COVID-19 issues in the Jayhawks' program.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30343752/amid-injuries-covid-19-concerns-saturday-game-kansas-texas-moved-dec-12
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:21:46 PM by jude_este »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
It's getting to the point where these school will not be able to finish their games.  Hats off for getting the season in as opposed to having it play out early in 2021, but to an extent.  No way the year is happening without the cash involved (TV deals, Power Five glory, whatever), or if college football didn't generate massive revenue.  It's a tough subject in tough times, and I'm optimistic that this will not be as bad in a year.

IMO, Kansas & Texas are doing the right thing.  It'll be interesting to see how they plan on the CFB Playoff or the bowl games.  I wonder if they'll emulate the NFL's Pro Bowl and just name who the participants are, but not actually play the games
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2020, 04:03:50 PM »
Kyle Trask continues to add to his Heisman resume, throwing for three TDs and 390 yards in Florida's 38-17 win over winless Vanderbilt.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:12 PM »
The only thing that might stop him is losing to Alabama.  Of course that's more probable than not, but Florida could beat them.  Lawrence is getting unlucky, and Fields looked human at home vs Indiana

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2020, 10:21:48 AM »
I have a feeling that NO ONE is right for the Nebraska job.

That their time as college kingpins has passed and that they will for years be the face of mediocrity.

The fact that Scott Frost was hyped as the next big thing and would turn Big Red into a fearsome force by now is laughable. When they lose to a mediocre program like Illinois THAT BADLY, something is seriously wrong in Lincoln.

Or maybe not ... and that it is simply someone else's time time be in the spotlight and that Nebraska had its time to shine.

Brian

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
I think Nebraska shouldn't even been in the Big 10.  As mentioned by several elsewhere, they belong in the Big 12.  Not sure if they'll perform better if that were the case today.  Given Penn State is 0-5 for the first time since football was created as something special on Planet Earth, I don't I would hold it against Scott Frost.  Although given his tenure & this year's disaster, it might be the end for him

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »
 Nebraska in the big 10 has always weirded me out a bit. They absolutely belong in the big 12 playing Oklahoma every year.

I know Nebraska sucks now, but bear in mind that there was a time when people were calling Notre Dame the big thing from yesteryear whose time had past and look where they are now.

FWIW I believe that Colorado also belongs in the big 12. I'm a Sun Devils fan and ASU alum who lives about 4.3 miles south of Sun Devil Stadium. When I heard the Pac 10 was expanding to the Pac 12, I thought it should have been Utah and BYU. In my opinion, BYU is a better fit for the Pac 12, especially with Utah now in the Pac 12.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 08:31:11 PM »
1331392438376787968[/tweet]]The first rankings for the College Football Playoff have been revealed.  Not much surprise within the Top 4, which features Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Ohio State.  Barring something, I don't expect the season to end with these rankings.  I personally don't need to see Notre Dame/Clemson Part III.  There was an ounce of surprise to see the Tigers at No. 3 but it's not a stunner.  Ohio State nearly lost at home to Indiana.  Yes they are decent this year, but Indiana should've won given the fact that OSU looked bad.  Clemson didn't play, and prior to that, they didn't have their quarterback.  I think the committee got it right.  Florida & Texas A&M are just outside of those rankings.  Northwestern isn't too far behind, and thanks to that (among other things), Cincinnati has no chance at making the CFP

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 10:29:21 PM »
Intuitively, Cincinnati has no chance. But what about this scenario: Alabama wins the SEC Championship and by beating Florida in the Sec Championship Game eliminates Florida. Then Ohio State wins the Big 10 Championship and by beating Northwestern in the Big 10 Championship Game eliminates Northwestern. Then Notre Dame wins the ACC Championship and by beating Clemson in the ACC Championship Game thus eliminating Clemson. In that particular scenario who gets that 4th spot if it aint Cincy. That might be a scenario Cincy could get in with if they win out. Intuitively it seems like they have no chance but in the scenario above someone would have to get spot 4.   
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2020, 01:12:45 AM »
This year's Iron Bowl has Bama heavily favored. Auburn could make a game, but at this point I don't see anything outside of a typical Tide drubbing.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
Two stories coming in from the past few hours.

First, Alabama coach Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not coach the Iron Bow against Auburn this Saturday. And according to a statement released by the university, Saban received the positive test Wednesday morning and is showing "very mild symptoms." and because he is symptomatic, the test will not be categorized as a false positive.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30386828/alabama-coach-nick-saban-tests-positive-showing-covid-19-symptoms

And the Cincinnati and Temple game has been canceled and will be declared a no-contest due to positive COVID-19 cases and the ensuing contact tracing of athletes at both schools, the American Athletic Conference announced.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30386578/cincinnati-temple-canceled-due-covid-19-issues-teams
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:33:48 PM by jude_este »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 12:35:43 AM »
Intuitively, Cincinnati has no chance. But what about this scenario: Alabama wins the SEC Championship and by beating Florida in the Sec Championship Game eliminates Florida. Then Ohio State wins the Big 10 Championship and by beating Northwestern in the Big 10 Championship Game eliminates Northwestern. Then Notre Dame wins the ACC Championship and by beating Clemson in the ACC Championship Game thus eliminating Clemson. In that particular scenario who gets that 4th spot if it aint Cincy. That might be a scenario Cincy could get in with if they win out. Intuitively it seems like they have no chance but in the scenario above someone would have to get spot 4.

I'll give Cincinnati a 1% chance.  Based on that scenario, I can't see how the committee can justify sending anyone else.  Northwestern is undefeated, so they'd have to jump Cincy before their game against Ohio State.  Clemson would have 2 losses, but they could argue that they lost without Lawrence and that they'd be a one-loss team losing to a perfect Notre Dame.

No way I'd bet Cincy to get there (though I sorta would root for it, in case they get to face Notre Dame).  They need help from the teams they beat.  The Bearcats, to be fair, were once a power school when they had 6 big conferences including the Big East

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »
Tomorrow's Colorado-USC game (3:30 PM ET, ABC) will now be Colorado-San Diego State and will kickoff at 5 PM ET. ABC is replacing the Colorado-USC game with Pittsburgh-Clemson which was originally on ESPN (now Northwestern-Michigan State, originally on ESPN2).

Oklahoma at West Virginia (7:30 PM ET, ABC) will now be Utah at Washington.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 04:26:14 PM »
December 29's Pinstripe Bowl has been cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:53 PM »
Penn State finally gets their first win against the season, meaning both PSU & Michigan are 1-5.  Meanwhile, Clemson is pissed and their play is showing such, at the expense of Pittsburgh.  Northwestern is trailing Michigan State at the half (I considered picking MSU, but I didn't since NW's defense is pretty good).  Ohio State is one Michigan or Spartans outbreak away from being ineligible for their postseason, and if you didn't pay attention to the sidelines in Tuscaloosa, you wouldn't know that Nick Saban wasn't there with Alabama's performance so far against Auburn