Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/27/2020 (TPiR at Night: Season 49 Preview 1: Essential Workers)  (Read 16039 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
As I said in The Talk Is Right, I'm really, really impressed that the staff managed to get this show back up off the ground and make it feel, for the most part, like nothing had changed even though so much obviously has.  They were able to make it sound like there was still an audience somewhere, even though we couldn't see them.  They were able to rework the opening into something that doesn't make it painfully obvious that there's no audience.  There were a few awkward things, yeah, mostly relating to where various people were standing, but they were things that there's really no way they could have worked around.  They did a better job with this than I think anyone could have anticipated.

This is updating the show without making it feel like things are being changed just to change them.  This is Season 37 done the right way.

Now then...this show seemed...well...more like a primetime special than the last several primetime specials.  Whereas the specials in Seasons 44 and 48 felt like glorified daytime shows, this felt more like a $1,000,000 Spectacular.  Grand Game's prize was back up at $20,000, Cover Up was played for a freaking Audi, and Balance Game and the Showcase were both pretty insane.

Did anyone notice that the light strip around the Giant Price Tag wasn't on during Grand Game?  I'm chalking it up to it being at the first set of tapings and everything probably being a little nuts, but it was still a strange thing to see.

On the Franches Mountains restarted for every item in Cliff Hangers.  I really hope that was a mistake and not something permanent.

This is a little thing, but I like that they added a little container for the Drew Dollar to Balance Game.

Time to speculate on what pricing game broke to force an awkward Pick-a-Number for a car sixth in primetime!

I don't see why anyone would think something broke -- Pick-a-Number was blatantly set up for a win.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
It is apparent that the inside of the 4 has more space S46+ I couldn't find good video of the first PAN playing of S46, so for the sake of effort, I'd guess they changed it when they automated the reveal.

Thank you for going to the trouble to confirm that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Even if it means you made the mistake of exponentially amplifying my unjustified cockiness about my observational skills.

Also, could the little "dance" that each seemed to do be coached to them as a necessity of having to swing cameras around and get positioned for the PG, as well as potentially setting up the PG itself (assuming they don't want it in the shot with Drew during the one-bids)?

Every pricing game is in place by the time Drew reads the actual retail price of the One Bid, so that isn't it. But yeah, it is clear that the contestants were instructed to first run to the giant daisy in the middle of the floor, stop on it, and celebrate until they're told where to go next. Perhaps the show wants to prevent any overexcited contestants from accidentally getting too close to Drew while he's still making his way to his pricing game mark?

While that choreography was indeed awkward, I'm assuming that there's some health protocol reason for it, so I'll cut it some slack. In my previous post, I was referring to how it felt like every contestant was instructed to perform some signature move when they emerged from behind the curtain to take their place in Contestants' Row. It stops being special when it happens multiple times per episode.

I know it wasn't intentional, but I liked that you could see where the edge of the stage should have been in some of the wide shots. Kind of a subliminal reminder that this isn't how things normally are but that it won't be forever.

Did they strike the blue and yellow Contestants' Row displays in order to get the shot of Devin showing off the trip and cash in the first showcase?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Did anyone notice that the light strip around the Giant Price Tag wasn't on during Grand Game?  I'm chalking it up to it being at the first set of tapings and everything probably being a little nuts, but it was still a strange thing to see.
I wish they show wouldn't rest the Giant Price Tag slightly up off the ground when Grand Game is about to be played. It makes it obvious to me (and likely many others) that Grand Game is behind the Giant Price Tag the moment the Tag is shown in relation to Drew's height. I wonder why they didn't make the Grand Game sign a little shorter when they refurbished the game a few years back.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
I finally watched this last night, and aside from the dorky entrances they had the contestants do, this episode was quite enjoyable.  Like others, I appreciate that they didn’t shy away from the pandemic and instead addressed it head on with “this is how we do The Price is Right during a pandemic.”

I didn’t mind the lack of audience, to be honest.  The fact that the other players were helping the game playing contestant was enough for me.  It felt to me, for the most part, to just be a nice episode of TPiR.  I honestly like the less frenzied feel it had.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
I wish they show wouldn't rest the Giant Price Tag slightly up off the ground when Grand Game is about to be played. It makes it obvious to me (and likely many others) that Grand Game is behind the Giant Price Tag the moment the Tag is shown in relation to Drew's height. I wonder why they didn't make the Grand Game sign a little shorter when they refurbished the game a few years back.

I would doubt many people would analyze that closely, nor let it bother them.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The opening montage leading to the call to "Come On Down!" that led to Grand Game being played for $20,000 (and a win) was just so freaking awesome! Cover Up had its first win of the season, and for a car worth nearly $36k at that!!! Overall, a wonderful show!!!! That opening montage was very dramatic to me, for some odd reason. Maybe a season preview of sorts?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Thouroghly enjoyed this episode. As others have said, it feels more like a primetime show than many of the recent ones. I like the slower pace presented here, that's what happens when you have less commercial time, we need more of that in daytime. I do also like that there isn't an audience because we're not getting shots of them every 10 seconds, more focus on the contestant and host. Drew's new appearance will indeed take time to get used to, thought it looks better than I thought it would.

Other thoughts:
- Opening montage was spectacular
- Come on Downs were kinda cheesy, thought not totally unwatchable.
- The chasing lights on the podium's Pricedown sign when the contestant wins the IUFB was a spiffy touch.
- Fantastic 20k win on Grand!
- Cliffhangers: ...............................
- Awesome win in Cover Up, and for an Audi no less!
- Showcases were great, none of this 20k crap.

Quality show, here's hoping for more later in Season 49.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Every pricing game is in place by the time Drew reads the actual retail price of the One Bid, so that isn't it. But yeah, it is clear that the contestants were instructed to first run to the giant daisy in the middle of the floor, stop on it, and celebrate until they're told where to go next. Perhaps the show wants to prevent any overexcited contestants from accidentally getting too close to Drew while he's still making his way to his pricing game mark?

That was, by far, the most distracting innovation to me.  If the winner's run is too fast for the usual ped camera without the stairs to slow them down a bit, why not just use the jib camera to follow them all the way over from their podium to the game area?  Yes, you're going to see a crew member or two, but I thought they were over that sort of thing by now.  You usually see crew at some point in the daytime show, often by design, but they went out of their way to not do so in this episode.  Even when Drew specifically called them out.

It's inevitable for a contestant to periodically forget protocol, and I had been wondering if they would make those people redo their moves and edit out the mistake.  I guess my question was answered when the contestant in the last COD high-fived another contestant, immediately realized her mistake, and reflexively held her contaminated hand to her mouth.  :roll:

Offline Declan127

• In the Audience
  • I like turtles
Time to speculate on what pricing game broke to force an awkward Pick-a-Number for a car sixth in primetime!

One Away?
Bring back Penny Ante, but have it with 3 prizes, one grocery item/prize, 5 pennies, and a $3-5K bonus for playing perfectly, and maybe, just maybe, I will enjoy the show more.

Edit: The showcases are better, so the show is being enjoyed.

ALSO WHO MISSPELLED PENNY "PENY" ON MY AVATAR?

Offline Declan127

• In the Audience
  • I like turtles
Bring back Penny Ante, but have it with 3 prizes, one grocery item/prize, 5 pennies, and a $3-5K bonus for playing perfectly, and maybe, just maybe, I will enjoy the show more.

Edit: The showcases are better, so the show is being enjoyed.

ALSO WHO MISSPELLED PENNY "PENY" ON MY AVATAR?

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Did they strike the blue and yellow Contestants' Row displays in order to get the shot of Devin showing off the trip and cash in the first showcase?

It looks to me like they may have zoomed in the camera really well. Door 4 looked a bit bigger than usual in that shot.
I support The Price is Right.