Author Topic: Grocery Game Question  (Read 2922 times)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
Grocery Game Question
« on: November 11, 2020, 02:15:22 PM »
Even though it's part of the official rules, when was the last time someone lost the game by undershooting the range?  I don't think I've even seen a playing where this has happened.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Grocery Game Question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
For certain, I can't say, but checked tpirstats going back to Season 32; according to them it hasn't ever happened since they started keeping detailed records.

Of 242 playings since Season 32, only four playings ended up using all five grocery items. Three of those playings overshot the range and one playing resulted in a win.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
Even though it's part of the official rules, when was the last time someone lost the game by undershooting the range?  I don't think I've even seen a playing where this has happened.

There's at least a Dennis James episode where someone used all five items and ended up with $6.74, one lousy penny short of the target!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
There's an early daytime playing from 1972 where a player uses up all the products before reaching $6.75.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
Makes sense that would have been easier to do earlier on with much lower priced items, even when the total that they were aiming for was lower.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 12:36:03 AM »
There's an early daytime playing from 1972 where a player uses up all the products before reaching $6.75.
And even in the 1980s it was still a thing. In fact, on one episode from '87 (the same one that debuted Pathfinder), a contestant used up all five GPs and got a grand total of $6.04. And the strange thing about it is, they sounded the foghorn instead of the more expected regular buzzer that the game used at the time.

OTOH, I've never seen a playing where someone would fail to reach $20 after trying all five GPs. The mere fact that Drew mentions it implies that it can still be done, but I've seen a few items over $10 that would make it impossible to do so.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 01:25:09 AM »
OTOH, I've never seen a playing where someone would fail to reach $20 after trying all five GPs. The mere fact that Drew mentions it implies that it can still be done, but I've seen a few items over $10 that would make it impossible to do so.
That being said, you also don't want to produce a setup where buying one of everything would yield a win, since that would make the game too easy, if enough viewers caught on.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »

Drew doesn't typically reveal all 5 GPs, but sometimes when he does the total does come in under $20.

The May 7, 2020 playing had all five items total $17.55, while on Jan 2, 2019 they totaled $13.55. It's definitely not impossible.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:11:20 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:14:31 PM by EaglesWings4500 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ybmd2cOlug

11:40

Nope.

We're discussing the idea of losing by using all five items and not spending enough.  That video is of somebody going over.

Please put some more thought into your posts before you submit them, bud.  Between this and the thread where you asked why there aren't YouTube videos of shows that don't even exist, you're not exactly making the greatest impression.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.