Author Topic: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT: Alex Trebek
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
USA Today's take:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/11/08/jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-dies-after-long-multiple-emmy-career/1885204001/

He fought the good fight and he's now at peace.

RIP.

Brian

PS: I'm sure he's sharing some good laughs with both Art Fleming (who passed in 1995) and Sean Connery as well.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 01/26/15
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »
EROO  :-(
CSS Champion - Season IX (Part II); G-R Recapper - Season 44 (Part I)

And if you win that trip, you travel to the end of the Golden Road, where we have the most expensive prize ever offered on Golden Road.net!!!! IT IS MORE THAN $481,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wild cheering and applause) LOOK WHAT WE HAVE AT THE END OF THE GOLDEN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your whole family will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Tahiti where you'll sign a deed to a 2-mile across, 2-mile wide island 25 miles off the coast of Tahiti. This island includes a beachouse and more! And if you win this island, you'll recieve A NEW CADILLAC XLR CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.
Quote from: bobbingforapples
Why was he unbanned? He hasn't changed.

Offline bonkers77

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
I'm so sad...

Online Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »
A sad day in the game show industry; at least we'll have those classic Jeopardy! and Concentration reruns to remind us what a remarkable host he truly was. Whoever the next host of Jeopardy! is will have some awfully big shoes to fill, just like Drew Carey did when Bob Barker left TPIR.

R.I.P. Alex Trebek

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
A sad day in the game show industry; at least we'll have those classic Jeopardy! and Concentration reruns to remind us what a remarkable host he truly was. Whoever the next host of Jeopardy! is will have some awfully big shoes to fill, just like Drew Carey did when Bob Barker left TPIR.

R.I.P. Alex Trebek

Wonder if Buzzr runs a Classic Concentration marathon to honor him, or even a general one, since he hosted Double Dare and To Tell the Truth too, both shows they also would have in their library.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank You Alex
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
What’s more sad is that Art Fleming, the first host of Jeopardy, also died of pancreatic cancer.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:08:00 PM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline Bill_Cullen_#1

• Outside in Line
Re: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »
Well crap. Knew it was going to happen, but still, hurts badly.

Offline geniusinmath

• In Contestant's Row
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
Alex Trebek will always be great in a lot of people. I watched him on High Rollers but he maybe gone now but he will never be forgotten. He is in my top 5 hosts of all time for sure. He also guest starred in shows such as Mama's Family, The Nanny, and the Golden Girls. RIP Alex Trebek.

Offline Blissey

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »
Here's a video I made for my YouTube channel about my thoughts and reading the official show statement (I may be hard to hear as I was wearing my face mask at the time, having just got back to my house after taking a walk):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AmI5xttVw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AmI5xttVw</a>

Online Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
Sorry to interrupt, but shouldn't this thread be merged with the already-existing one from Out in Left Field?

It's also a sad coincidence that original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming died the exact same way 25 years ago.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
Sorry to interrupt, but shouldn't this thread be merged with the already-existing one from Out in Left Field?

It's also a sad coincidence that original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming died the exact same way 25 years ago.

Done.
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

CSS Season 14 Cash: $729,601
CSS Season 15 Cash: $888,251 - All time CSS high for myself in 8 years.
CSS Season 16 Cash: $286,480

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I feel like trying to write a 2nd response on the 2nd different forum won't have the same effect, so I'll copy what I wrote on JBoard.

While a previous poster mentioned, this is news that you will want to remember where you were when you heard, I was driving on Interstate 190, to go see a beginning (new train station opening in downtown Buffalo), that's when I found out about an ending.

Each day with pancreatic cancer is a gift, local pancreatic cancer has a 35% survival rate over 5 years. Survival when the cancer has metastasized is only 7%. Most stage 4 pancreatic cancer patients die relative soon after diagnosis. It is a gut punch of a disease that we have yet to find a cure for, or a stronger treatment than heavy chemotherapy and radiation. There are few commercials that get your attention than the Lustgarten Foundation one of the late Danny Aiello watching videos of his now-late son, a pancreatic cancer victim. You can tell how much pancreatic cancer can affect even the greatest. Alex Trebek said on ABC in January that it has helped him stop thinking about the future and to enjoy every day to the fullest. At the same time, I think once Alex publicly announced his diagnosis, the country and the world realized how much every day with Alex Trebek on this earth meant. All of us knew this day was coming at some point.

However, the pancreatic cancer diagnosis did something else. It helped us take the last 35 years of having Alex Trebek on our televisions on Jeopardy! has been not for granted. Celebrities, politicians, fellow game show hosts, famous contestants and most importantly, you and me, had an outpouring of support for a man that was part of multiple generations of television, and a fixture in much of our childhoods and adolescence. In the United Kingdom, there are many game show and quiz shows that help show who the best of the best in trivia is. In the United States, we have considered Jeopardy! the top of the line. If you are able to make it on to the show, you are already in a club of people who have had the honour to be considered one of the best. There isn't another. The benefit of Jeopardy has been the longevity, the strength of the writing and the whittling of contestants. We all watch game shows because we want to see people like you and me win unthinkable amounts of money.

Alex Trebek has always been there. Thanks to Jeopardy!, a man who loved to poke fun at himself made many guest appearances on television, from Cheers to the famous Celebrity Jeopardy on Saturday Night Live. He made appearances on multiple animated shows. He was on the Simpsons, where he made fun of Marge's poor performance. He was on Rugrats, hosting a show named Super Stumpers as Alex Quebec. In that appearance, he made a quotation that sounds heinous in retrospect: "And didi, you don't have to answer in the form of a question." His other appearance on animation that I grew up with was on The Magic School Bus. There he was the host of the "International Show-and-Tell Competition".

It takes a certain kind of person to have the impact that Alex Trebek did. I think a lot of us have this unsustained mythological belief that all celebrities on television are like these uber rich people who have butlers who do everything in giant houses. In reality, many of them are you and me, but just have more money. Rather than going on ritzy vacations, here's a man who spends all day tearing out roofs and floorboards, making construction work. He's just a man who felt he was doing his job and we all appreciated it. He always treated contestants with the utmost grace and professionality, just as he handled every day. It could not have been easy for him to have to reveal to the public that he was suffering. However, in the face of an uncurable disease, he did so in March 2019 with the utmost grace and most importantly, the same sense of humour he had doing Jeopardy and every other guest appearance on television.

My #1 favourite quote in history is from George Bernard Shaw and it is meant for use when there has been an ending.

Quote from: A Splendid Torch (1896)
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.
I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me.
It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment,
and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

From The Wizard of Odds, Battlestars, High Rollers, Malcolm, To Tell the Truth, Classic Concentration and Jeopardy, the young kid from Sudbury, Ontario lived as bright a life you could ask. While he is no longer a mortal man, we shouldn't look at his death a loss. We should look at his death as a celebration of the life of a man whose life was to entertain you and I and made himself an international icon doing so.

We'll miss you, Alex. I'm sure Art and Merv are waiting for you.

Reformatted post slightly to use a horizontal rule as opposed to quote tags to make it easier to read. This post has otherwise not been modified.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 05:43:54 PM by therealcu2010 »
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

CSS Season 14 Cash: $729,601
CSS Season 15 Cash: $888,251 - All time CSS high for myself in 8 years.
CSS Season 16 Cash: $286,480

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
I remember watching Alex on other shows in the 1970s and 80s. He had my dream job! But, as a two-time Jeopardy! champion I had the opportunity to actually meet him and see him at work. He was a very intelligent man, and I enjoyed his interactions with the audience and with Johnny Gilbert.

He fought hard and he will certainly be missed. May he rest in peace. Thoughts to his family and friends.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:37:21 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2020, 02:29:30 PM »
RIP to a legend. X( But, my ethos is that of being grateful of someone having been there, so I raise a toast to Alex on an amazing life.

Here's to you, the G.O.A.T. game show host. Say hi to all the other guys (Bill Cullen, Peter Tomarken, et al.) for me.