Author Topic: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)  (Read 4328 times)

Offline BillyGr

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
Hopefully Buzzr is planning the same thing, because it's already airing Classic Concentration, plus it aired Double Dare in the past, and hopefully it will have Alex hosting To Tell the Truth as well (even if it's most likely a very long shot).
Except Buzzr is owned by Fremantle and GSN is owned is Sony, in which they own Jeopardy. Small chance that'll happen.

True, but definitely not an impossibility - being allowed to show something has happened on other of the "older show" channels before with shows they normally don't run for this type of situation.

To be fair, the first season of Jeopardy with the ring in whenever you want rule is really bad, getting rid of that starting with season 2 was a blessing.

It was definitely noticeable when they showed that original show during the best of reruns this year.  Not being sure that I ever saw it that far back originally (not even sure when or if it was on here back then) but I had read about that change.

It was also slightly more useful in the days when they uncovered clues manually, as they could trick a contestant who rang in very fast by varying when the card was pulled - they might ring in too quick and not even be able to see the clue!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2020, 12:12:59 AM »
a lot of those old timer TV critics probably considered anything that wasn’t Art Fleming to be blasphemy

Art Fleming hosted Jeopardy! for nearly 11 years on NBC. Alex was a lot looser and jovial in his first year, so audiences and critics alike weren't used to that kind of hosting style

I wonder if there were any other game shows that found themselves in a similar situation...  xlx
"Now folks, I want to thank you very, very much for inviting me into your homes for the last 50 years.  I am deeply grateful.  And please remember - help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.  Goodbye, everybody!"
- Bob Barker signs off for the last time, June 15, 2007

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »
Alex was set to appear in a future edition of "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?", but Cartoon Network/Boomerange decided to release that episode now, in light of the news.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9FXRTROvU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9FXRTROvU</a>

if this belongs elsewhere (outside this thread) let me know

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2020, 02:36:25 PM »
I’d disagree with the decision, but that’s just me.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
I guess Watson doesn't exist in the Scooby Doo universe.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 63 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
I wonder if there were any other game shows that found themselves in a similar situation...  xlx
In 1984, game shows were still at the bottom of the pecking order in regards to critical appeal, so even when Jeopardy! came back it was a case of "Another game show? Another revival of an old show?" Maybe it didn't stand out from the rest of the pack at the start, but that's where patience and a leap of faith come into play. Jeopardy! was gifted with both and blossomed into the Emmy winner it deserved to be.
Bureaucracy is cutting the red tape lengthwise.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In the Audience
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »
I just listened to every version of the theme and think music from 1984 on (including the spin-offs) in Alex’s honor. With headphones on. His replacement will have massive shoes to fill, but Alex would like to see the show keep going.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020