Author Topic: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)  (Read 12201 times)

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: RIP Alex Trebek (1940-2020)
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »
First saw Alex on 1973's The Wizard of Odds, but it seemed like he really wanted to do a show along the lines of Jeopardy! when he did Double Dare. The symbiosis of Alex with Jeopardy! was perfect. He truly went with his boots on.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
This is truly a sad day!  I was just re-watching many of the classic "Celebrity Jeopardy!" skits from SNL last night on YouTube.  And now both Sean Connery and Alex Trebek are gone.

RIP Mr. Trebek.  We will all miss you!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »
I don't think anybody can truly prepare for a legend's passing, even though we knew it was inevitable. As somebody who made Jeopardy part of my nighttime routine for at least a decade, this one hurts. A lot. It's another reminder that we need to savor the time the celebrities we know and love are here, because they won't always be.

Thank you, Alex, for all your contributions. God bless you, and rest in peace.

EDIT: I'll say it too, because it's true: F*** cancer.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
It's a very tragic day for the game show community.  Earlier this year we did an 80th birthday thread for Alex and we seemed to feel pretty optimistic at that time. I was a big of Classic Concentration on NBC in the late 80s and early 90s. Trebek's 37 years and 8200 shows at Jeopardy are amazing records.

FWIW, Alex Trebek makes my Mount Rushmore of game show hosts alongside Bob Barker, Monty Hall, and Wink Martindale.

RIP Alex Trebek. You will be missed.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »
If anyone has the Radio.com app, they are still running Colonial Penn life insurance spots with Alex.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »
Devastated. Heartbroken.

Alex was without equal in what he did. The epitome of class. A calming, steady presence in millions of homes. Someone who made us want to know more, to learn something new.

I have fought back the tears all day to focus on other tasks I needed to complete, but they are flowing now. In part because Jeopardy was one of the things mg father and I had in common. Now that link to someone I still miss years later feels broken. Yes, if the show goes on I will embrace the new host, and I hope the show does thrive for years to come. I hope there is someone who becomes synonymous with it. But that piece is lost to me.

This one hurts especially bad.

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »
Done.
Apologies for inadvertently making the duplicate thread. I thought Alex’s obit should have been in the same area as Tom Kennedy’s recent passing. I didn’t look thorough enough. Completely my fault.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2020, 05:05:18 PM »
Apologies for inadvertently making the duplicate thread. I thought Alex’s obit should have been in the same area as Tom Kennedy’s recent passing. I didn’t look thorough enough. Completely my fault.

The reason for Tom Kennedy was because he was a former Price host. That's why it was in TTIR.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
Here in Ottawa, Ontario, where he's the city's favourite adopted son, I was driving back into the city tonight past the Canadian Tire Centre, home to the Ottawa Senators NHL team.  There on the screen outside was a picture of Alex in the stands at a game with the caption, "Thank you, Alex".  I knew it could only mean one thing.  Given the increase in the number of celebrities doing PSAs for municipal transit services, I wish the City of Ottawa had jumped on the bandwagon with Alex while they had the chance.  Would have made city bus rides a tad more humuorous.

I saw Jeopardy! in person three times between 2012-2013.  When question time with the audience came during the break at my first taping, I tried to go off the run of the mill questions and asked Alex what his favourite hosting gig was outside of Jeopardy!.  Of course, we all know the answer: "To Tell the Truth... because it was the first show where I got to sit down."  At another taping, I tried to fish for anecdotes asking him about working with Jay Wolpert and Johnny Olson (hey, it was at least highly original).  Truly stumped him.  He paused and could only muster, "Is Jay Wolpert still alive?...  Johnny Olson isn't."

For the many hundreds of times he was asked the same questions over the decades, I was truly pleased how he could, for all those people in the audience there for their first time and probably never again, come across as engaged and interested as he would have been opening night.  He probably was engaged, or if he was not, he knew he'd be making a lasting impression on some loyal fan of the show and he mustered up the enthusiasm.  Props to him.  He made the Jeopardy! experience enjoyable watching at home as well as in the studio.  Truly a class act.  I am glad so much of his work remains for us to enjoy for the decades to come.

Indeed, thank you, Alex.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
I've watched Jeopardy and Alex since the show had the sushi bar set at the age of 3!!!!! It's amazing how he could easily pronounce foreign names and phrases!!!! He made me feel smart each night!!! Although the show will continue on, I feel like I lost a family member!!! Glad he passed away peacefully!!! Thanks for everything, Alex!!! Rest easily in a place where there's no more cancer!!!!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »
No! That's all I can sum up there! He seemed so determined to beat this thing! But sadly it wasn't meant to be! RIP to a legend and fellow Canuck! RIP Alex Trebek. F*** cancer!  :cry:

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »
ABC will bump tonight's Card Sharks for a tribute to Alex.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT: Alex Trebek
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2020, 09:42:33 PM »
Yeah I hope so too.....someone over at the Jeopardy Reddit page on that said he was taping through October 29th and his last show would air on 12/25 or Christmas Day of all days. Something sadly poetic about that. RIP to one of the GOAT to steal a title. Between him and Tom Kennedy......last few weeks have seen a couple huge losses from the golden age era of TV. So sad.  :cry:
Yes, per the Jeopardy! website his final show will indeed airing on Christmas day. For those where Jeopardy airs on ABC, Jeopardy and Wheel are typically preempted because of an NBA game broadcast on Christmas so assuming they are playing then this year hopefully ABC airs at least Jeopardy that day.

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »
I am devastated. Here I was thinking that maybe 2020 could be salvaged after yesterday, then this happens.

RIP Alex.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 11:08:43 PM »
As with the rest of you, saying goodbye is hard, even though we had in essence advance warning of it over the last year.  He was always a familiar presence in the evening for me for as long as I can remember (in my particular case at 7:30 on the local NBC affiliate), and always handled Jeopardy with genuine class.  In my younger years, I also watched him regularly on Classic Concentration, which I rate as my 10th favorite game show of all in no small part to his hosting style.