Author Topic: Tom Kennedy (1927–2020)  (Read 6259 times)

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Tom Kennedy (1927–2020)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:32 AM »
I enjoyed all his great shows in the 70s and 80s (namely Split Second, Whew!, Password Plus and Nighttime Price is Right.)  We were lucky to have him with us for so long.  Sympathy to his family and friends.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
I'm glad he enjoyed a full life and gave us a significant part of the equation towards the gold age of TV game shows, and like many others, I only saw his stuff secondhand, but he had a nice warm personality and always was encouraging to the contestants and celebrity guests. Just like Bert Convy, Gene Rayburn, Jack Narz, Jim Lange, and many others that are a little before my time, he'll continue to provide many fine memories from all the great shows (13 in all) that he hosted, even short-lived gems like 50 Grand Slam, '70s Break The Bank, and of course his final show, Wordplay. My consonances go out to all of his family, acquaintances, and fans.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »
I saw Password Plus on GSN when I was a toddler. He was great, and will forever be missed.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:08 PM »
I enjoy watching Tom on Body Language while watching Buzzr, and I certainly thought he was wonderful hosting the nighttime TPIR. Probably the most underrated host ever, because he always had to compete with the likes of Barker, Cullen, Rayburn, Dawson and many others from that golden era. Condolences to his family and others that knew him well.

R.I.P. Tom Kennedy

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »
First was acquainted with Tom on the original You Don't Say! in the 60s. I also recall the finale of Split Second when producer Monty Hall came out and complimented Tom on his professionalism.  He was truly a consummate professional.

Still remember my late grandmom watching the original You Don't Say! in the 60s right after the soap opera Another World. Still remember her watching AW and YDS with the on screen notice that either show could be interrupted if a space flight encountered issues.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
Still remember my late grandmom watching the original You Don't Say! in the 60s right after the soap opera Another World. Still remember her watching AW and YDS with the on screen notice that either show could be interrupted if a space flight encountered issues.

And I recall hearing Bill Wolff saying (from an audio clip of an early closing of AW at one time), "Now stay tuned to You Don't Say!, next in color on NBC."

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
And I recall hearing Bill Wolff saying (from an audio clip of an early closing of AW at one time), "Now stay tuned to You Don't Say!, next in color on NBC."

John Harlan became so associated with YDS like Bill Wolff was on AW. I know we've lost both in recent years.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
R.I.P. Tom Kennedy. Definitely a pro.

I remember watching him when several of the game shows he hosted first aired. And he actually emceed two shows that I would have really liked to (this was my dream job): The Price Is Right and Password Plus.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »
R.I.P. Tom Kennedy. Definitely a pro.

I remember watching him when several of the game shows he hosted first aired. And he actually emceed two shows that I would have really liked to (this was my dream job): The Price Is Right and Password Plus.
What would you have liked to do on The Price Is Right and Password Plus?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »

And during the 1964-69 timeframe, NBC really had 4 of the best announcers in daytime doing shows in the 2:30 to 4:25 block- Mel Brandt (The Doctors) Bill Wolff (Another World) John Harlan(You Don't Say!) and Johnny Olsen (The Match Game). All four of them were legends in the booth. Harlan and Olsen also of course had better known assignments(Name That Tune and American Gladiators for Harlan, and Price Is Right and Concentration for Olsen)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
And during the 1964-69 timeframe, NBC really had 4 of the best announcers in daytime doing shows in the 2:30 to 4:25 block- Mel Brandt (The Doctors) Bill Wolff (Another World) John Harlan(You Don't Say!) and Johnny Olsen (The Match Game). All four of them were legends in the booth. Harlan and Olsen also of course had better known assignments(Name That Tune and American Gladiators for Harlan, and Price Is Right and Concentration for Olsen)

Also, Match Game 7x/PM/Synd. for Olson as well.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »
Tom was the best TPIR host not named Bob Barker. I know, Drew has come a long way, but Tom is still best non-Barker host.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Tom was the best TPIR host not named Bob Barker. I know, Drew has come a long way, but Tom is still best non-Barker host.

I've said it before, but....Tom had a warmth to him, here and really in general too...that Bob for as polished as he was never did. In a sense I prefer him to even Bob for that. The perfect Switcheroo playing is a perfect example of this. The exchange at the end where the contestant thanks him and him Tom tells her she's welcome, is such a genuine moment, the type Bob really couldn't ever match IMO. Tom was really one of kind, and will be very missed. Just glad he got that one big interview a couple years ago about his life and career before he passed.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 12:42:38 PM »
He was an awesome host. He had an energy about him that was rarely matched by any other game show hosts. And it was obvious that he loved what he did.
1,682 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!