Author Topic: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC  (Read 15139 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 10:06:25 PM »
I’m not sure I understand the surprise at a lack of primetime network Wheel of Fortune until now. Jeopardy had one summer run prior to 2020. That’s it, decades apart between the runs. It’s not like it was a huge phenomenon. Price showed up periodically in that span. A couple of incarnations of Feud had celebrity network runs.

Now ABC has some holes to patch on an interim basis. Game shows have worked, so they go back to the well. The Jeopardy GOATs end up on The Chase. Wheel gives them an easy way to do a celebrity show for not a huge investment. Win win.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »
Celebrity Wheel will be premiering on Thursday, January 7 at 8pm. The Chase will follow at 9pm, and a new game show "The Hustler" hosted by Craig Ferguson will premiere at 10pm.
https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-bachelor-american-idol-premiere-dates-celebrity-wheel-of-fortune-the-chase-the-hustler-abc-1234611967/

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
ABC O&O viewers will get lucky on Thursdays by getting 90 minutes of Wheel. I've always wanted a primetime Wheel even if it was a one-off thing like Super J! or J! GOAT.

Now that it's happening, I'd love to see ABC revive Password. I think it could work very easily, you just would have to find a good host. And, if possible, even if it's a pre-recording, have Betty White send a message or make some sort of an appearance.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
I believe in my area, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune has aired on my CBS affiliate and then my NBC affiliate, but never my ABC affiliate.  Just a coincidence; I'll get 90 minutes of consecutive Wheel, but I'll have to press a button or two to make the switch. No big deal.  Just rather amazing that I never had Wheel or Jeopardy on the network that has and will air Jeopardy and Wheel.

Now that it's happening, I'd love to see ABC revive Password. I think it could work very easily, you just would have to find a good host. And, if possible, even if it's a pre-recording, have Betty White send a message or make some sort of an appearance.

Of all the gameshows that have returned, and it's pretty much been all of successful & popular ones, this is the only one that hasn't returned.  At least in its classic format (I thought the 2008-2009 $1,000,000 version was alright)!  I think it would pretty good to see this return as part of the lineup (either in the summer or during the dead period between the fall and spring TV seasons).

That being said, I wouldn't bet on it.  Unless it's a limited primetime series (I think that's what you meant), I'd bet against a Password-revival.  I forgot where I saw it; tried to find where it was said (might've been quoted here on G-R dot Net), but Betty White made mention to why the show failed.  I believe it was due to the current era & how modern day contestants aren't as bright as they were in the past
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
ABC O&O viewers will get lucky on Thursdays by getting 90 minutes of Wheel. I've always wanted a primetime Wheel even if it was a one-off thing like Super J! or J! GOAT.

Count me as one of those since the NYC market will have that opportunity.

Anybody know yet if the primetime format is going to be two half hour games or one game for the full hour? Here's hoping it's the former; that seems more likely anyway.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
Two games makes more sense to me. If they stretched one whole game to an hour, then theoretically, they could have 8 regular rounds of play. I think it would be awkward to do two Toss-ups, 3 rounds, Triple Toss-up, one more round, then repeat again. I could see them doing like Feud. My only concern would be if they give too much time to the celebs, it takes away from gameplay. I know there have been a handful of Feud episodes that only have one game for the whole hour.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:10:11 PM by wheelfan1991 »
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
I’d sure hate to take away from the cliffhanger moments when the wheel will land on either $500 or $600.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 03:35:19 PM »
I hope that they have better puzzles than the regular show. For the past few years, it seems like syndicated Wheel has barely any 21st century pop culture in their puzzles. Nearly every Song Lyrics or Song/Artist puzzle is either Beatles or Bruce Springsteen, and I can't even remember the last time I saw TV Title, and not just 80's TV Title during Season 35.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 08:59:37 PM »
Count me as one of those since the NYC market will have that opportunity.

And some that will get a 90 minute Wheel segment with a 30 minute Jeopardy interlude (like Albany NY, since they put Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30).

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »
And some that will get a 90 minute Wheel segment with a 30 minute Jeopardy interlude (like Albany NY, since they put Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30).
And of course, it was the same for the O&O's during Jeopardy GOAT last year. I remember they reran the first three episodes the following Saturday, so that whole night was a 3.5 hours of Jeopardy with 30 minutes of Wheel sandwiched in, though all were reruns of course.

I wonder if the Wheel episode airing the same day Celebrity Wheel premieres will have Pat and Vanna promote it in the closing segment. I know they've done special closing segments meant to air only on certain networks before (I recall a segment promoting Dancing with the Stars that only aired on ABC airings)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »
I wonder if the Wheel episode airing the same day Celebrity Wheel premieres will have Pat and Vanna promote it in the closing segment. I know they've done special closing segments meant to air only on certain networks before (I recall a segment promoting Dancing with the Stars that only aired on ABC airings)

Good question - while it would make sense that some stations might not want to have something promoting a show on another station, things like that do happen on other shows (like talk shows where the guest is on a show that may also be on another network, at least in some areas).

Seems like it's even happened occasionally with a guest on a network show (like the late night shows) where the guest is in something on another network, but I'm not certain.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »
$100K Pyramid had people from NBC shows like SNL and This Is Us, so it's not like the shows stick to only ABC people.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
Those barriers broke down quite some time ago.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »
Match Game, which is currently on ABC, has had a ton of people from SNL (and other NBC shows) over the years.  I didn't even know there was an issue with that.   Game shows have had stars from different networks appearing on their shows for 40-50 years (more or less).

FWIW, the original Family Feud did feature stars from ABC more often than not (including The Love Boat, All My Children, One Life To Live, General Hospital) instead of shows from CBS & NBC.  IIRC, the nighttime syndicated Family Feud aired on my local ABC affiliate at 7:30 right before the ABC primetime specials when they had them.  Not much promotion from Dawson, I don't think.  Usually the stations would.

I don't think Pat & Vanna will be doing anything in their closing segments right before the show.  If there was one, it would be edited in.  Not much in the closing segment from one of their regular shows
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »
What you guys meant is the daytime series has had daytime stars from other networks appearing and daytime game shows usually had the rule of booking the daytime soap stars and the daytime hosts appearing on their own network's daytime series. There have been exceptions with this for instance, Family Feud Challenge, Now You See It '89 and Scrabble all booked daytime soap stars from another network in the Soap Opera Special Week. Password Plus, Tattletales, Just Men! and The New Battlestars had also done so as well as the $25,000 Pyramid IIRC.