Author Topic: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC  (Read 15266 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 01:05:57 PM »
I think I would've rather it be one game being played for the hour rather than two separate games with three rounds and bonus round. With the way they paced the show it could've been done that way. I also don't like that the $20,000 bonus in round 3 pretty much means whoever wins that round will win the game.

Not much different from Prize Puzzle Round normally lol, but with it being the final round in this instance, I can see your point.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
I was disappointed by how little game play there was. In spite of there only being one introduction, one conclusion, one set of contestant introductions, no prize puzzle prizes to describe, and more time in general due to being primetime instead of syndicated, they still only got 5 full puzzles plus one speed up round in. Compare to two syndicated episodes, where they fit in 6 full puzzles plus two speed up rounds. Yes, I know there was more exposition than usual, but it was still painfully slow at times. I also felt a bit bad for Tony Hawk, who was actually trying to play the game but kept getting overshadowed by two celebrities who were spending as much time trying to be funny as they were actually playing.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
I was disappointed by how little game play there was. In spite of there only being one introduction, one conclusion, one set of contestant introductions, no prize puzzle prizes to describe, and more time in general due to being primetime instead of syndicated, they still only got 5 full puzzles plus one speed up round in. Compare to two syndicated episodes, where they fit in 6 full puzzles plus two speed up rounds. Yes, I know there was more exposition than usual, but it was still painfully slow at times. I also felt a bit bad for Tony Hawk, who was actually trying to play the game but kept getting overshadowed by two celebrities who were spending as much time trying to be funny as they were actually playing.

Was it me or did Tony not seem to wanna be there? He seemed really low on energy at least in the 2nd half, can't speak for the first not seeing it. It's either that or he was nervous. Also as an aside...did anyone else think the 2nd Toss Up at the start of the 2nd game seemed really really redundant, having no contestants to introduce/reintroduce? I don't see why they couldn't have done 1 puzzle for a flat $3,000 there, given they tweaked with different money amounts and all otherwise. Having a 2nd puzzle to determine who began the round just felt kinda silly.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
I personally thought Tony's energy was fine, it's just that Leslie and Chandra were so over the top that Tony looked stiff in comparison to them. BTW, you should watch the first half if you get a chance, as Tony did have a couple of funny moments.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2021, 10:01:58 AM »
I wasn't a fan of Tony Hawk on the show. My family also mentioned that he seemed as though he didn't want to be there. Leslie and Chandra were entertaining at least.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2021, 12:04:08 PM »
I disagree, I do think Tony was happy to be there it's just he isn't the comedian or the big personality Leslie and Chandra are.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
I’m biased as I cannot stand Leslie’s personality. Just me, totally get it works for others. I’m more low key in my own life, so Tony’s vibe never struck me as not wanting to be there, but as someone who can quietly enjoy the experience and play the game without the more animated tone.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 02:07:47 PM »
I had this same conversation with my wife about Leslie the other day. I can’t quite tell if that’s simply her personality and who she is in real life and thus has no “off” button, or if she feels that Leslie Jones the entertainer is a character separate from Leslie Jones the person and she feels obligated to always be that character in whatever role she’s in.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2021, 02:41:49 PM »
I had this same conversation with my wife about Leslie the other day. I can’t quite tell if that’s simply her personality and who she is in real life and thus has no “off” button, or if she feels that Leslie Jones the entertainer is a character separate from Leslie Jones the person and she feels obligated to always be that character in whatever role she’s in.

Yeah idk....just watching this alone even without any other context outside of it, she came across as well.....a certain word for a female dog let's say that. I didn't find her likeable at all. Her facial expressions, her general attitude, it all was really off putting for me.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder if this game was kinda miscast. I say that because.....with two SUPER strong personalities in Leslie and Chandra, there wasn't a lot of balance. Leslie kinda overshadowed both she and Tony IMO, but Chandra was by no means meek. I think it might have worked out better to have Leslie on one episode and Chandra in another rather than have them both together. Anyone else share this view?

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:28 AM »
I think the thing is Tony got himself signed up for the show without fully knowing what it was, more than anything. Like he mentioned playing the app, but... in what set of circumstances is Tony Hawk Of All People the kind of person to sit down and watch Pat and Vanna play glorified Hangman every night, let alone enjoy it so much he downloaded the app? He had to have been using it to learn about the show and thus missed out on the stereotypical trappings like Shouting. Every. Word. Of. The. Answer. One. At. A. Time., surely.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
Hi!!  If there's no other posts here yet, just letting everyone know Drew Carey will be one of celebrity contestants on Celebrity Wheel this week (it's 1/14 on ABC at 8:00-9:00pm PT)!  I'm looking forward to it! 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 04:02:04 PM »
Yeah idk....just watching this alone even without any other context outside of it, she came across as well.....a certain word for a female dog let's say that. I didn't find her likeable at all. Her facial expressions, her general attitude, it all was really off putting for me.
Um, that's a little uncalled for to compare her to that. Her brash/loud attitude is part of her act. It's a charity game all for fun, which I'm sure they were told more than once to get them comfy enough to even play the game, of course she's going to turn it on and ham it up. Her energy was no different than Richard Simmons when he appeared on the show and would probably less than the energy you'd get if Sam Kinison, Chris Farley, or Robin Williams could appear on the show.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder if this game was kinda miscast. I say that because.....with two SUPER strong personalities in Leslie and Chandra, there wasn't a lot of balance. Leslie kinda overshadowed both she and Tony IMO, but Chandra was by no means meek. I think it might have worked out better to have Leslie on one episode and Chandra in another rather than have them both together. Anyone else share this view?
Did not get the same impression that you seemed to get from Chandra. She was mostly quiet and became mildly animated during her turn. She honestly seemed the most nervous out of the three of them, something that came across on the last game show I remember watching her on (The Pyramid). And I think they figured it'd be fun to see the clash between Leslie's animated attitude, and Tony's laid back vibe, which to me it was kinda fun. I enjoyed their overall chemistry together and can see why they picked this one to be first.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »
Drew Carey's episode aired tonight. I won't spoil how he did, but there was a bit where he and Vanna discussed her appearance on Price while wearing her "Get Serious" shirt.  :P

Online JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
Too bad Vanna hadn't kept the "Get Serious" shirt fron her 1980 appearance. It may have turned up on Ebay as Pat said!  :oldlol:

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
Drew did a great job last night competing on Wheel. He seemed very into the game and could be seen intensely studying the board when it was not his turn.