Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/16/2020  (Read 8905 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: TPiR Recap - 11/16/2020
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 12:53:55 AM »
I haven’t had a chance to watch yet, but I’m not too bothered by the lack of the typical ‘season premiere’ flair.  The essential workers primetime special was kind of, sort of the unofficial introduction to the new season (and had the beefed-up budget we’d expect), so I’ll give them a pass for not making a big deal out of the occasion — never mind the fact we’re in the middle of a pandemic and the season is beginning two months later than usual.

Now Season 50 next year, I’m expecting t-shirt cannons, pyrotechnics and Cadillacs. :P

/and an audience
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:56:02 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 07:37:43 AM »
Very disappointed by this season opener.  Why no mention of the 49th year - how many shows get to that milestone?  They could have done so much to celebrate and help compensate for no audience and they did nothing.  The only interesting part of the show was how Rachel helped reveal the $20,000 in Time is Money.   The should have always done that.  Also, could Rachel be pregnant?  She usually doesn't wear those types of dresses.

After a few weeks of this, I think they should consider airing these new shows Mon-Thurs and doing 'Best Of' shows on Fridays from the pre-Covid Carey era.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
Like the first prime time special this season, I was glad to see that Drew was able to have more time to converse with the contestants. It's a nice change from a very rushed show where we get to learn nothing about the contestants, although he's not the best conversationalist - he's no Bob.

Also, I'll echo what Steve said - give the contestants and the show a break with these entrances. Most of these contestants are probably super loyal to the show and have been watching for years, waiting for this dream to come true, and they're not getting to do a legitimate come on down. Let them dance, damnit; I know I would and no contestant coordinator would have to tell me to do that... I guarantee they aren't being "coached".
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »
Also, I'll echo what Steve said - give the contestants and the show a break with these entrances. Most of these contestants are probably super loyal to the show and have been watching for years, waiting for this dream to come true, and they're not getting to do a legitimate come on down. Let them dance, damnit; I know I would and no contestant coordinator would have to tell me to do that... I guarantee they aren't being "coached".

Also I know its only a few seconds but the show does not have the luxury of the contestants celebrating and running up the stairs so they get set for the next game, they look to be coached to dance in front of the camera while drew and the cameras get into place for the pricing game. It would be awkward if they just stood there so they have to do something

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
During prime time Plinko, Drew freely picked up each Plinko chip after it landed at the bottom of the board (they just edited around it). Between that and Rachel handling the Time Is Money products, I suspect that Drew will simply pick up the Dice Game dice as they're rolled. Trying to use that grabber arm to maneuver the die into its restrictive cubbyhole while keeping one specific side facing outward is more like a Double Dare physical challenge.

I'd suspect that the reasoning behind that grabber on LMAD was to keep Jonathan from getting too close to the contestant (since he is returning the die to them for another roll) rather than worry about him touching the die.

So if anything a similar item might be used by whoever to return the dice to the container for Let em Roll second or third rolls than within the Dice Game (as the die is not being returned to the contestant there).

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
Speaking of Eazy az 1 2 3, did anyone else notice how loud the price reveals were?  I think it actually drove home the fact that there was no audience even more than not seeing the audience did.

I didn't notice that, but I did notice how loud the countdown was of the money on Time is Money.  What a difference no audience makes.

I'm still hoping that the time gained because there is no audience leads to some longer pricing game lineups this season.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 01:11:06 AM »
Wow, something we haven't seen in 25 years has happened again. Although it does hurt to have a season premiere end in a DOB, I'm still very excited to see what this new one will bring.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 01:22:30 PM »
Wow, something we haven't seen in 25 years has happened again. Although it does hurt to have a season premiere end in a DOB, I'm still very excited to see what this new one will bring.

This wasn't the season premiere.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
This wasn't the season premiere.

What was/is?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 06:39:49 PM »
What was/is [the season premiere]?

The show that aired Wednesday.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.