Author Topic: Name That Tune Returns on Fox  (Read 788 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Name That Tune Returns on Fox
« on: November 18, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »
According to the article, Fox will be bringing back Name That Tune January 6th following The Masked Singer. Jane Krakowski from 30 Rock will be hosting and Randy Jackson will be the bandleader.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/name-that-tune-fox-jane-krakowski-randy-jackson-1234618113/

Hopefully there will be some sort of tribute to Tom Kennedy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:57:41 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Online Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Name That Tune Returns on Fox
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »
Wasnít the Donít Forget the Lyrics and Beat Shazam shows in recent years essentially the same concept? I was never a big fan of Name that Tune, the reruns havenít aged well since so much of the music in the 70ís and 80ís incarnations were old standards and older music that nobody watching today under the age of 70 would recognize

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:29:49 PM »
Wasnít the Donít Forget the Lyrics and Beat Shazam shows in recent years essentially the same concept? I was never a big fan of Name that Tune, the reruns havenít aged well since so much of the music in the 70ís and 80ís incarnations were old standards and older music that nobody watching today under the age of 70 would recognize

But at least they played actual MUSIC on the older Name that Tune shows; one's skin is already starting to shrivel thinking about what they might play on the revival!

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
     But at least they played actual MUSIC on the older Name that Tune shows; one's skin is already starting to shrivel thinking about what they might play on the revival!

I really, really dislike this attitude. NTT (except the Lange Run) has always played music that was popular at the time, along with standards.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
I really, really dislike this attitude. NTT (except the Lange Run) has always played music that was popular at the time, along with standards.

I recall hearing the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" and The Police's "Every Breath You Take" on the Jim Lange version. Let's hope for a  healthy mix in this revival. :-P

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:56:42 PM by Alfonzo »

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »

One step shy of get off my lawn territory. Music is in the, um, ear of the beholder. Oneís unwillingness to attempt to appreciate the taste of other generations says more about them than anything else.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 12:51:18 AM »
One step shy of get off my lawn territory. Music is in the, um, ear of the beholder. Oneís unwillingness to attempt to appreciate the taste of other generations says more about them than anything else.

Heh. I was thinking of "Old Man Yells at Cloud" when I read it. I'm sure you'll appreciate the reference. 😉

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Indeed! That is a good one  :-D

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »
It'll certainly be interesting to see what the music mix will be for the revival.

Although I'd guess a good percentage of the songs will be skewed toward modern/post-2000 music (i.e., hip-hop/rap, trap, alternative rock, electronic/electro-dance, etc.), you'll still see pre-Y2k popular music (all styles), along with pre-rock era (before 1955) pop standards and the fare that we saw in each of the previous versions: folk, jazz, classical, children's, traditional, patriotic, religious, holiday and so on. In other words, I'm guessing there'll be enough music the contestants will have to guess without worrying about what someone thinks of a certain era of music, including the current one.

I think it's probably best to hold off on judgment until after the first few shows air.

Brian

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
Since it's all about the audience, I would be surprised if in 2020 that we saw folk, standards, religious, etc., on a Fox Name That Tune. I don't think their focus would be, nor should it be, on audience members who stopped paying attention to popular music when the Bee Gees were still a thing.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »
I'm surprised FOX is doing the show since they already have Beat Shazam and it was renewed for a 4th season at the beginning of the year. My guess would be they use similar songs-- Beat Shazam mostly stays within the 1990s to present, with a little bit of dipping into the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 04:35:18 PM »
I don't think their focus would be, nor should it be, on audience members who stopped paying attention to popular music when the Bee Gees were still a thing.

Honestly, I doubt that the new NTT would have very many contestants who are that elderly, which is what they'd have to be if they've lived under a rock since the early 1970s. After all, someone who graduated from high school in 1972 Ė the year the Bee Gees had their last significant pre-disco hit Ė would be 66-67 years old, and I'm sure FOX/the producers don't exactly someone that old as a contestant.

My point was that while the music list will likely be heavily skewed toward post-2000 music, I think the producers will still fold in enough familiar tunes that everyone can have a reasonable chance at guessing and Ė for the TV audience Ė be able to play along.

Brian

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
Totally get that. My thought is Fox has a specific demo in mind, and I donít see them being overly concerned with whether people outside the demo are tuning in, so to speak.

As for Beat Shazam, beats me. NTT has a band. BS uses the actual recordings. Presumably the game play will be quite different. But at the end of the day, itís another music guessing show. More power to them.