Author Topic: How many episodes for the 1950s price is right show exist  (Read 863 times)

Offline Victor dexter

• Outside in Line
How many episodes for the 1950s price is right show exist
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
I know a good deal of the total number of episodes was wiped but how many still exist?

Offline Victor dexter

• Outside in Line
Re: How many episodes for the 1950s price is right show exist
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 01:11:03 AM »
Anyone?

Online urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:45:35 AM »
More than 1 and less than 5000.

Seriously, you need to stop.

Offline Victor dexter

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 02:10:29 AM »
More than 1 and less than 5000.

Seriously, you need to stop.

I'm participating in these forums and contributing just like you

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:06 AM »
I know a good deal of the total number of episodes was wiped but how many still exist?
Although this is an interesting question, Im not sure anyone here knows the answer. Maybe you could tweet at Buzzr TV and see if they know.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:01:15 AM »
I'm participating in these forums and contributing just like you
There's a difference in contributing and being impatient when an answer isn't immediately given. Eagerness to participate and learn is good, but pull in the reigns and think about things a bit before you post. You could've let more than two days pass before pressing for a response.

I saw the thread and meant to reply and forgot. I'm sorry I did.

I can't give a number, but from what I was told, most of the nighttime run exists. While not in color, it was a very popular series and it sounds like it was given the kinescope treatment like Goodson-Todman's other popular primetime series of the era. If I recall correctly, 60 primetime episodes previously were in rotation when GSN aired the series. I'm not sure of how many Buzzr has run since it's run the series. My memory is hazy on the number GSN ran, but I recall reading that somewhere.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:12:17 AM »
From Wikipedia:
Although The Price Is Right became Goodson-Todman's first regularly aired game show to be broadcast in color on September 23, 1957, no color kinescopes or videotapes are known to exist from the nighttime run.

Many monochrome NBC nighttime episodes (plus at least one ABC episode) aired on Game Show Network from 19962000, at which time the network's contract to air the show ended; it has not been renewed since. The 1961 episode hosted by Francis aired on Buzzr on March 8, 2019 as an homage to International Women's Day; Buzzr added the program to its weekend lineup in September 2019, with its package also including episodes hosted by Merv Griffin.

Most of the daytime run is believed to be wiped; the UCLA Film and Television Archive lists the first and third episodes from 1956 among its holdings. A few NBC daytime episodes with commercials intact, originally broadcast in the late spring/early summer of 1957, have been around the "collector's circuit." They are now available for viewing on YouTube.