Author Topic: How many episodes for the 1950s price is right show exist  (Read 4523 times)

Offline alabamafan121

• Outside in Line
Re: How many episodes for the 1950s price is right show exist
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 03:31:27 PM »
I would love to find more information on this topic as well specifically the episodes from 1958. My grandmother just recently passed away and was on one of the 1958 spring or summer episodes so our family would really love to see it one day. Does anyone know how a person would go about locating this episode? 

Online vnisanian2001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »
If it was a Daytime episode, chances are it doesn't exist anymore. If it was Nighttime, then Fremantle might have it. Contact their archives.

Offline SuperSweeper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 05:18:50 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no 1958 daytime episodes in existence, to my knowledge (in fact, there is supposedly nothing from roughly mid-1957 to late-1963 still around).

Nighttime, however, likely exists. Buzzr has aired a lot of episodes from that year.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no 1958 daytime episodes in existence, to my knowledge (in fact, there is supposedly nothing from roughly mid-1957 to late-1963 still around).

Nighttime, however, likely exists. Buzzr has aired a lot of episodes from that year.
Nighttime's confirmed to exist, in its entirety, per Adam Nedeff. If it hasn't aired, either it has a tobacco company sponsor or else BUZZR simply hasn't gotten to it yet.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 09:42:29 PM »
I presume at that point (late 50s-early 60s), Mark Goodson may not have had enough control to preserve all his show's tapes as he thankfully, particularly with Price's current run, would later have.  We of course can thank he and Bill Todman for whatever efforts they were able to do then to preserve their library so that it overall is generally more intact that everyone else's of that time period.  Can we pinpoint a more or less precise time they really started going strong with their preservation efforts?  Since it appears they were instrumental in getting CBS to become the first network to stop wiping daytime in 1972, it was at least by then.   

Online vnisanian2001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 09:47:52 PM »
I do not think it was up to the networks on whether or not to keep masters. My understanding is that it was the producers' decisions. So I'm pretty sure whether it was Daytime or Nighttime, Mr. Goodson had the final say on keeping or discarding masters. And I think it was Mr. Goodson who made the decision to withdraw the first Season of the Garry Moore run of To Tell the Truth.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2022, 07:24:21 AM »
I'm surprised Goodson would wipe his favorite show compared to say Beat The Clock from that same season, since I wouldn't feel like he would find that much wrong with Truth. Its also surprising that absolutely nothing exists for a season of a program that has multiple copies produced for various markets.

But at least its good to know that the primetime Cullen run is essentially intact, after assuming that either about half or even as little as around 70 episodes existed. But tobacco is to Cullen to what fur is to Barker. The daytime ABC run has a slightly higher survival rate than NBC due to a few celebrities keeping a copy of their appearance, which was much more attainable compared to regular contestants.

Superballer, almost every Goodson show from 1980 on is intact, with a few exceptions due to tape damage. Mindreaders was the last show to be significantly wiped, with ABC Password and Showoffs the only other '70s shows to be significantly purged. That said, G-T was ahead of the game regarding game show preservation with the vast majority of their primetime shows from late summer 1952 onwards intact, and this was during the kinescope era, which overlapped well into the videotape era. Daytime TV wasn't really taken too seriously yet, and naturally given cost, little exists pre-TNPiR with Bob Barker. The final year of CBS daytime password was an anomaly, but it was really TNPiR that preservation was the rule, with those exceptions above. The lack of G-T shows in primetime allowed the company to start preserving shows in syndication, along with some episodes from the final year of daytime Truth with Collyer.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/