Author Topic: Check Game checks  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Check Game checks
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »
Does anyone here have a Check Game check from their appearance on the show? To me this would have to be one of the top TPIR collectibles I’d love to have. A cursory glance appears that they don’t come up for sale particularly often, none have been on eBay recently, I’d imagine a Bob-era check would probably go for a couple hundred dollars, no?

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
Re: Check Game checks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
If you want the money from it, you must cash it at the bank, so I guess no one kept it.

8-)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 12:58:48 AM »
I remember either Bob or Drew mentioning on air that they would find these souvenirs from Check Game in the trash at Television City.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
If you want the money from it, you must cash it at the bank, so I guess no one kept it.

8-)
I would think that the VOIDed checks would have a chance of appearing on eBay.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 04:47:29 PM »

Even the ones dated "Today, 19Now"?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
Yes. The money was transferred from Bob Barker's personal checking account, since his signature was on the check.

That's why Bob intentionally explained the game poorly--it was a Win Ben Stein's Money situation and Bob was protecting his bank balance by playing up the "no one understands this game" bit
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 12:26:43 AM »
I’ve got two at my house.  A blank “Barker” check and a “Drew” check used during a rehearsal during his first season.

Who wants to start the bidding? 😜

Offline Victor dexter

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
Does anyone here have a Check Game check from their appearance on the show? To me this would have to be one of the top TPIR collectibles I’d love to have. A cursory glance appears that they don’t come up for sale particularly often, none have been on eBay recently, I’d imagine a Bob-era check would probably go for a couple hundred dollars, no?

I guess keep checking ebay. Why does this need to be a thread again?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
Why does this need to be a thread again?

Dude, you started a thread asking if Alex Trebek liked TPIR.  You're in no position to criticize.

Actually, keep this up, and you're not going to be in a position to do anything.  Start thinking before you post.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
I guess keep checking ebay. Why does this need to be a thread again?

It’s almost as if it’s a discussion about a subject directly related to TPIR or something