Author Topic: Episodes with technical wins  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Victor dexter

• Outside in Line
Episodes with technical wins
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
Does anyone have a list of episodes where a pricing game was won due to technical error? Im talking about episodes like the missing slip in punch a bunch or the model giveaway.

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Episodes with technical wins
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
Here are 2 episodes I know of off the top of my head where there were pricing games that were lost but the contestant won the prize they played for due to a technical error with the game....

There was an episode from season 32 (2003) where the timer in the old Time is Money game was running fast. In the first showcase showdown, Bob announced that the timer was malfunctioning, so they awarded the contestant the prize. I don't remember what she won.

And in season 36, Drew's first season as host, the lights in Bonkers that signify the correct location of the paddles malfunctioned WHILE the contestant was playing. The producers decided to award the contestant the prize they played for.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:32:12 PM by 1DC »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Best in the World
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »
The Season 38 premiere is a particularly noteworthy one... especially since said technical win was the only win of the day. That was such a weak premiere.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
The final few games of Penny Ante.
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:45:42 PM »
I don't know about an entire list of episodes but I can think of a few Race Game tech wins off the top of my head.

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »
I don't know about an entire list of episodes but I can think of a few Race Game tech wins off the top of my head.

"Just throw the price tags down."

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »
There was also that one Ten Chances playing from 2000 (?) where all three prices were revealed where the initial numbers would be.

EDIT: Ah here it is, it was November 1, 2000. Starts at 17:26. https://youtu.be/ra5-rMEX6Gg
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:36:51 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
Season 17 cash earnings: $58,732
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

“People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Rob Siltanen

Online ThatDonGuy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:03:11 PM »

I remember one of those, and it was during a half-hour episode. The scoreboard said 4, but only one was right. Bob explained that, with the one correct answer, the contestant qualified for the showcase as the runner-up, but got to keep all four prizes.

I also remember a Temptation game where they brought out the first two prizes, then Bob stopped the game, told the contestant not to guess any more numbers, brought out the last two prizes, and explained that, since the first two prizes had been brought out in the wrong order, the contestant would get the car and all four prizes automatically.

There was also an error that didn't result in a win; a One Away playing had one of the trilons with one of the numbers wrong (something like 6-7-9, and the actual digit was 8), but since the contestant had another digit wrong, it was counted as a loss.

Smileys deactivated by Steve to make "8)" display properly.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:24:30 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 11:04:29 PM »
There was also that one Ten Chances playing from 2000 (?) where all three prices were revealed where the initial numbers would be.

EDIT: Ah here it is, it was November 1, 2000. Starts at 17:26. https://youtu.be/ra5-rMEX6Gg

Begs the question..
I mean, some tech wins I completely understand. Lights glitching on Bonkers or Race Game or such. Accidental wrong price cards printed from the Art Dept. Penny Ante’s last season. But this one was ridiculous.
Why on Earth wouldn’t they just stop down and double/ triple check the game board? This may have been semi-scripted, given that Bob comically never hesitated to proceed as usual past every ‘oops’ moment, ending with a winking nod to the “2 guys that set the game up” and a Classic Bob one-liner to top it off.
Still, an interesting segment. Thanks for sharing that, somehow I hadn’t seen or heard of that before.

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »
I also remember a Temptation game where they brought out the first two prizes, then Bob stopped the game, told the contestant not to guess any more numbers, brought out the last two prizes, and explained that, since the first two prizes had been brought out in the wrong order, the contestant would get the car and all four prizes automatically.

Would it really be necessary to give away everything in an instance like this? All you'd need to do is to say "Take the numbers from X Prize and tell me which one is the 2nd number in the price of the car, and do the same with Y prize for the 3rd number", and then you could proceed as normal for the final 2 prizes. I can't see how a situation like this would really disadvantage the contestant, unless I am missing something.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:11:47 AM »
On March 3rd, 1989, a contestant was awarded the $10000 after the 1st hole she had punched was empty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoAXjOAQ54
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Online jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:14:56 AM »
Would it really be necessary to give away everything in an instance like this? All you'd need to do is to say "Take the numbers from X Prize and tell me which one is the 2nd number in the price of the car, and do the same with Y prize for the 3rd number", and then you could proceed as normal for the final 2 prizes. I can't see how a situation like this would really disadvantage the contestant, unless I am missing something.
My guess from reading this is that Bob thought the show would run too long if they tried to reverse course and correct everything. Temptation already makes for a lengthy segment and awarding the prizes was probably the simplest resolution while keeping the show on time.

In those days I feel like they tried to avoid stopping tape at all costs. I wonder what percentage of shows from Bob's early years involved a stop tape of some sort. Probably a very small number.

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:32:06 AM »
My guess from reading this is that Bob thought the show would run too long if they tried to reverse course and correct everything. Temptation already makes for a lengthy segment and awarding the prizes was probably the simplest resolution while keeping the show on time.

In those days I feel like they tried to avoid stopping tape at all costs. I wonder what percentage of shows from Bob's early years involved a stop tape of some sort. Probably a very small number.

I'd wonder what percentage had many period to be honest. Be interesting to find out, though I suspect we'll never truly know the answer to that. Your explanation makes sense BTW, even if Bob was typically a master of getting shows back on time no matter what. Incidentally, to ThatDonGuy....when do you remember this occurring, just for the sake of curiosity?

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:34:30 AM »
Begs the question..
I mean, some tech wins I completely understand. Lights glitching on Bonkers or Race Game or such. Accidental wrong price cards printed from the Art Dept. Penny Ante’s last season. But this one was ridiculous.
Why on Earth wouldn’t they just stop down and double/ triple check the game board? This may have been semi-scripted, given that Bob comically never hesitated to proceed as usual past every ‘oops’ moment, ending with a winking nod to the “2 guys that set the game up” and a Classic Bob one-liner to top it off.
Still, an interesting segment. Thanks for sharing that, somehow I hadn’t seen or heard of that before.

This always bothered me—it may have been a funny moment, but was it really worth taking a $20,000 bath to look behind the third window?

As a host, it’s funny, but at some point the EP has to take over and try to save the game without throwing other crew members under the bus.

On March 3rd, 1989, a contestant was awarded the $10000 after the 1st hole she had punched was empty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoAXjOAQ54

I forget where I heard this (maybe Roger’s Facebook page) but IIRC after the episode they discovered the slip got pushed back out the end when the contestant punched it, causing the slip to fall out of the hole and get stuck at the bottom of the prop.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 01:38:14 AM »
Begs the question..

That'd be quite the undertaking both then and in post editing wise, vs. just going with it as it is. You'd have to bring the  Giant Price Tag over it so no one could see.....the staff members checking and adding prices in if need be.......it'd have been a lot.