6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 106161 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2021, 04:22:45 PM »
The real thing that catches my eye here is they must have had serious interest in expanding the show’s footprint before all of this started.

They have had many primetime specials before, going back many years. Not to mention at least three previous spinoff shows, each with a different host. With game shows becoming relatively popular in prime time again, it makes sense that Sony would be already planning this sort of expansion.

How is Mike going to continue producing Wheel of Fortune (and Celebrity Wheel of Fortune)?

The simple answer is, someone else will pick up some of his current duties. Wouldn't surprise me if the shows get a "co-executive producer" or something similar next season.

Given that she'd be splitting hosting duties with a weasel, that should have been the only option.

I wouldn't really call this "splitting hosting duties." Mike will host 230 episodes a year. Mayim will probably host, what, maybe 20-30 a year, tops? And evidently under somewhat different formats. That's like saying Alex was "splitting host duties" with Jeff Probst.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Always ready for that prize reveal...
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »
The simple answer is, someone else will pick up some of his current duties. Wouldn't surprise me if the shows get a "co-executive producer" or something similar next season.
It wouldn't be the first time that Wheel had a co-executive producer. Season 17 was Merv and Harry. I'm not sure who J! has had.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #302 on: August 11, 2021, 04:56:11 PM »
Try convincing the guys on Buy a Vowel Boards of that. Not gonna name names, but one guy there has an absolute "the sky is falling!" reaction at this point.

I assure you that is not a majority opinion over there, and we actively deal with the conspiracy theorists.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2021, 06:13:31 PM »
At least it's not Dr. Oz hosting.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
Given that she'd be splitting hosting duties with a weasel, that should have been the only option.

A weasel? Sony knew exactly what they were doing. I 10000% guarantee you Mike Richards left Fremantle knowing he would be the next Jeopardy host.

Did he know it would happen so soon? No one did. But Sony was preparing for Alex to pass and stealing him from Fremantle was the first step. Sony used the "guest hosting" route to introduce him to the world as many have not seen him before. Was it a smart idea? No. Did they expect Lavar Burton to act like a baby when he was not included in the list so now it makes Mike look bad? No.

But I can assure you that Mike was picked for this job the moment he was poached by Sony.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #305 on: August 11, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Got to say it's been rather amusing to see so many of the hysterical reactions on Twitter etc.

Of course people will have their own preferences for host, but Mike will do a fine job, as will Mayim.  The sun will rise again, people will continue to watch and enjoy Jeopardy, and life will go on.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #306 on: August 11, 2021, 08:20:53 PM »
Congratulations Mr. Richards! You earned it, and although you will have to stand up to a legend like Alex once did with Art Fleming, you're still part of the greatest quizzer of all time, and you'll still have the same witty contestants, tricky clues, wacky categories, tournaments, and hopefully soon, the return of the audience. And we've still got Johnny Gilbert introducing the show and the players. Provided that Matt Amodio wins these next couple nights, you'll inherit the gig with a top five superchamp to help add the excitement for the upcoming season.

And I'm sure Mayim will make a great companion in primetime just like where she's been for the last three decades, just like what Dennis James and Tom Kennedy did for Bob Barker and The Price Is Right, and even what Vicki Lawrence did with Bert Convy on the late '80s show Win, Lose or Draw, or even Gary Owens with Chuck Barris for The Gong Show.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #307 on: August 11, 2021, 08:37:19 PM »
Is it the best choice? no. One might argue the reverse is better than this. That being said, Mike Richards isn't a terrible game show host or executive producer. We're talking on a site who has its future to thank with Mike Richards.

There's no reason for the sky to be falling as I've seen on JBoard especially. No one was going to be universally happy with any of the choices. LeVar Burton would've shut a lot of the general public up, but LeVar bombed and it was clear from the start he was never a contender for the job, Sony just gave him the 5 shows. Mike will do fine, so will Mayim.

Not worth throwing the remote in the corner and acting like it's doom.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #308 on: August 11, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »
And I'm sure Mayim will make a great companion in primetime just like where she's been for the last three decades, just like what Dennis James and Tom Kennedy did for Bob Barker and The Price Is Right, and even what Vicki Lawrence did with Bert Convy on the late '80s show Win, Lose or Draw, or even Gary Owens with Chuck Barris for The Gong Show.

Would it be at all fair to put Doug Davidson alongside Bob here as well? The show itself didn't exactly do well, but...Doug was a decent host I thought.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #309 on: August 12, 2021, 01:25:44 AM »
I just hope Mike doesn't say the phrase "We were looking for..." nearly every time a clue is a triple stumper. He said this WAY too much during his guest-hosting gig and it was painful to listen to. Hopefully he can come up with a variety of ways to say things like Trebek and many of the other guest hosts did.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #310 on: August 12, 2021, 07:13:03 AM »
"Correct response...., The response was...., We're going for..., simply state What/who is/are....," to name a few. Alex's autobio even referenced the various ways he would say both this, correct, and incorrect responses. We don't want another Patrick Wayne or Pat Finn. Hopefully by his third year in he will have settled into a groove like Alex did after a rather awkard first season and a more settled, but still rather uncontrolled second season hosting. Its too bad that early Art Fleming footage is gone since I'm sure he would of had an interesting early hosting style before he settled down.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
Indeed. Anyone needs time to make the show theirs. Their template is essentially Alex.
They’re almost inevitably going to be caught in a bind of accused of imitating too closely on one hand and not being Alex enough on the other. Social media only amplifies the nitpicking and needless criticism.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »
A weasel? Sony knew exactly what they were doing. I 10000% guarantee you Mike Richards left Fremantle knowing he would be the next Jeopardy host.

Did he know it would happen so soon? No one did. But Sony was preparing for Alex to pass and stealing him from Fremantle was the first step. Sony used the "guest hosting" route to introduce him to the world as many have not seen him before. Was it a smart idea? No. Did they expect Lavar Burton to act like a baby when he was not included in the list so now it makes Mike look bad? No.

But I can assure you that Mike was picked for this job the moment he was poached by Sony.

Though I am very much opposed to Richards being named host, I think that you hit upon the biggest objection that I had: namely, that even though Richards may very well have been singled out from the get-go, this whole bull**** charade was allowed to go on for a long time. Such phoniness and lack of honesty are no doubt parts of show business, but that doesn't make me hate what happened any less.

I certainly find some of the explanations given by Sony and Richards' zealots supporters to be suspect, if not outright laughable. If this decision was solely about which host attracted the most viewers, then Ken Jennings should have been picked. Yes, Richards' shows scored the second highest ratings, but any one with a modicum of knowledge regarding TV viewing habits realizes that ratings would continuously dwindle as the a new host was introduced every week or every other week (which was, indeed, the general pattern as to what happened).

In its press release, Sony praised Richards for being at ease behind the podium. Those who believe this to be the case are entitled to their opinions, but much of the feedback I've read on social media echoed my own sentiments, which was that David Faber did an extraordinary job and most resembled Alex Trebek. (And for those who say that Faber wasn't available, that just isn't the case, since he recently stated that he would take the job if offered.) And don't even get me started as to just how incredibly insulting and disrespectful it was to have all these leaks come out the week Faber was hosting and how equally insulting it was to have this official announcement come out the week Joe Buck is at the helm.

Regarding the breadcrumbs that are being given to Mayim Bialik, I echo comments made by others that suspect this was a move made by Sony to quell some of the backlash over allegations of past misconduct Richards has faced regarding his treatment of women. The spin that she's somehow a true co-host may also be an attempt to quell the "woke" left (who are upset over LeVar Burton not getting the gig) and those who suspect that Richards was gaming the system all along in a Dick Cheney sort of way.

As to Richards himself, I actually do think that he is a competent game show host, which is in sharp contrast to Drew Carey. But my personal opinion is that he comes across as overly slick and phony, and also comes across as lacking the intellectual gravitas necessary for hosting Jeopardy! (And I also agree with others who suspect he did what he could to game to hosting selection process.) One analogy I can think of regarding the change in hosts from Alex Trebek to Mike Richards would be to see Pat Summerall (the late, legendary sportscaster) get replaced by Bill Clinton. Obviously, Summerall and Clinton were in very different professions, but--for the sake of the point I'm trying to make--try to picture them both as game show hosts. Pat Summerall was somebody universally beloved, never let his ego get in the way of his job, and was perceived as having total credibility. Though Bill Clinton was and is adored by many, a great many others viewed him as totally self-serving and untrustworthy. (And should somebody criticize me for injecting politics into the discussion, I do apologize. However, you might want to know that I despise Donald Trump even more than Bill Clinton.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:24:56 PM by BonusShell »

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »
As to Richards himself, I actually do think that he is a competent game show host, which is in sharp contrast to Drew Carey. But my personal opinion is that he comes across as overly slick and phony, and also comes across as lacking the intellectual gravitas necessary for hosting Jeopardy!

I've said this elsewhere, but in my view Alex had a "Mr. Game Show" personality early on before he mellowed out into the more professorial tone. There's no reason to think Mike couldn't do the same after some time.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »
David Faber saying he’d take the job ignores perhaps that his employer has something to say about that under contract. But more broadly, people chose to read things into the guest hosting rotation that were never there.