6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 104199 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
The same thing did happen in 1984, from critics in newspapers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWqOb2FiZV/?igshid=1cb9afcu751ww

?s=19

Oh sure, some critics did their thing. I was referring to the pervasiveness of social media which tends to make things look much bigger than they remotely are.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »
I agree about Mike Richards. If Vegas was taking odds on the next permanent host, he would have to be near the top of the odds list.

I disagree, if for no other reason than the fact that oddmakers wouldn't know who he is. I would imagine Sony would want some sort of known entity to be the permanent host. Despite having a couple of shows under his belt as a host, Mike would not qualify.

I do think Mike would do a very good job and would be a great option if they needed a fill-in on short notice during this transition period. But not permanent. Would he really want to give up his job as EP on J! and Wheel to be host of one show? I doubt it. He seems like a guy who likes to run things, not be a cog in the machinery.

Finding the permanent replacement is tricky because you need not only someone fans will recognize, but also someone who can do the technically complicated job of hosting that show. It's not like other game shows where a teleprompter and heavy editing can bail out someone who lacks the technical chops. That's the thing that makes Ken an obvious choice: He is a known entity on the show, and also undoubtedly capable of being a trivia competition host.

That said, I was not exactly bowled over by the job he has done as a clue reader this season... he has come across as a little robotic.  I think he'll have to up his game a little bit as a fill-in if he wants the permanent job.

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
I wonder if there will be a new set and a new announcer.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »

Likely no. They already upgraded the set for this year with the stuff from GOAT Tourney and Johnny is doing stuff remote as is.
Season 41Season 43, Season 46Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 10:38:25 PM »

No. Unlike a planned transition, there is no reason to add more shock to the system.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 10:43:37 PM »
No. Unlike a planned transition, there is no reason to add more shock to the system.

Plus, it'd be a LOT to ask them to change the set and look just after their host of the last 36+ seasons died. No way that happens. I DID wonder if Johnny mighta been replaced though, either by his choice or the staff's as linked to Alex specifically as he was/is, but that was just my thinking. It's gonna feel mighty odd though when he announces the new host or series of hosts when Alex's final shows are done at the beginning of January. (still can't believe he outlived Trebek at 96 too, and STILL sounds amazing with nary a dip in voice or performance quality for that age).

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 10:52:08 PM »
I do think Mike would do a very good job and would be a great option if they needed a fill-in on short notice during this transition period. But not permanent. Would he really want to give up his job as EP on J! and Wheel to be host of one show? I doubt it. He seems like a guy who likes to run things, not be a cog in the machinery.

Why would he have to give up his roles as EP? They both don't film at the same time, Mike can ensure all the crew knows what to do during show time and when they hit record he walks out and hosts the show. I can't see any reason why he would not be able to

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 11:00:52 PM »
Why would he have to give up his roles as EP? They both don't film at the same time, Mike can ensure all the crew knows what to do during show time and when they hit record he walks out and hosts the show. I can't see any reason why he would not be able to

I wouldn't bet on Mike Richards to host, outside of a week or two.  That being said, I agree that his EP role shouldn't exclude him from hosting.  Alex was a producer decades ago, and while it's a totally different show, Bob Barker was the solo EP of TPIR for his final 20 seasons as host.

As mentioned, and while I think he would be pretty good, it's likely a moot point, but he wouldn't lose his EP role of both Wheel and Jeopardy due to hosting Jeopardy alone
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 11:44:57 PM »
That's good that Johnny's been able to do shows by remote, just like the what the original Jeopardy announcer Don Pardo did during his final years of SNL (announcing his shows from I think Arizona).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
That's good that Johnny's been able to do shows by remote, just like the what the original Jeopardy announcer Don Pardo did during his final years of SNL (announcing his shows from I think Arizona).

Was he doing this even before this season with his age? Or it more a COVID thing?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
I thought it was done well before COVID but could have misunderstood or misread that somewhere along the way.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
I thought it was done well before COVID but could have misunderstood or misread that somewhere along the way.

Before COVID, Johnny was recording from home for the morning tapings. Jimmy and Sarah (and Kelly before stepping down) were doing the VO's in-studio for the morning's tapings, then Johnny would dub them over before the episodes were aired.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 03:24:11 AM »
I am glad they are testing out hosts to take over rather then picking someone out of a hat or a big name.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 04:28:16 AM »
I am glad they are testing out hosts to take over rather then picking someone out of a hat or a big name.

I wonder how many test hosts they'll use and how many shows each will do? A week a time? 2 weeks? Longer? This will be interesting.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 08:50:48 AM »
Interim doesnt necessarily mean auditioning nor contender for the permanent job. Its worth noting their choice of words.

That said, the idea that had they not pursued this path, that a host would be effectively drawn out of a hat is not remotely grounded in reality. The producers know the weight of the decision they will need to make. They know the financial impact. Agree or disagree with the final choice, it will be made with substantial consideration and evaluation.