6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 104232 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 12:36:06 AM »
I disagree, if for no other reason than the fact that oddmakers wouldn't know who he is. I would imagine Sony would want some sort of known entity to be the permanent host. Despite having a couple of shows under his belt as a host, Mike would not qualify.

I do think Mike would do a very good job and would be a great option if they needed a fill-in on short notice during this transition period. But not permanent. Would he really want to give up his job as EP on J! and Wheel to be host of one show? I doubt it. He seems like a guy who likes to run things, not be a cog in the machinery.

Finding the permanent replacement is tricky because you need not only someone fans will recognize, but also someone who can do the technically complicated job of hosting that show. It's not like other game shows where a teleprompter and heavy editing can bail out someone who lacks the technical chops. That's the thing that makes Ken an obvious choice: He is a known entity on the show, and also undoubtedly capable of being a trivia competition host.

That said, I was not exactly bowled over by the job he has done as a clue reader this season... he has come across as a little robotic.  I think he'll have to up his game a little bit as a fill-in if he wants the permanent job.
Okay, if Richards is not at the top of the odds list with Ken Jennings, then who is?

Alex would retake any clues that he misspoke while reading. Haven’t you noticed he hasn’t misspoke on air reading a clue in YEARS? There was even some shows a few years ago where he re-recorded every single clue in post-production as he was hosting with a raspy voice. Everything that wasn’t a clue had him with his raspy voice but the clues were dubbed over when his voice was healed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:41:24 AM by jhc2010 »

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 02:46:09 AM »

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 08:09:46 AM »
There are actually betting odds on the next host!

What the actual... That is without a doubt one of the most horrific things I have ever seen.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
What the actual... That is without a doubt one of the most horrific things I have ever seen.
Seriously?  Hyperbole much?

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
I mentioned before in the post when Alex passed that my first choice for a replacement would be Ken Jennings. I've watched him on GSN's Master Minds for some time now, and he comes across as very cordial and seems he would be a good host. He definitely knows the game. I think the biggest obstacle for him, or for that matter anyone else who eventually takes the podium, will be that their name is anything other than Alex Trebek. Hard to replace a legend, especially one who has been associated with the show for so many years. Remember it took a long time before people really started to warm up to Drew Carey hosting The Price is Right (and some still haven't).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
There are bookies who will take action on anything. The site looks to be an individual contribution, based on the syntax (I, me, etc.). Distasteful though it may be, it’s not worth time or effort, nor taking seriously in the big picture.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:41 PM »
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that longtime news reporter Katie Couric will be the second guest host according to several people familiar with the plan.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-01-06/katie-couric-will-guest-host-jeopardy-after-the-final-alex-trebek-episodes-air
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 02:30:22 PM by jude_este »

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
Sorry for the self reply, but sharing news of confirmation of a third guest host who is a quarterback for the Green Bay Packers & 2015 Celebrity Jeopardy! contestant Aaron Rodgers, who confirmed the news on today's The Pat McAfee Show.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 01:58:59 AM »
If that holds, I think that would make him the second elite NFL player to host an Elite gameshow within the past decade if not all time.  Albeit temporary, he would be the first accomplished NFL player (but not first outright NFL player) to host an accomplished year-round gameshow
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »
Jimmy Cefalo and Rolf Benirschke might beg to differ with your definitions of "elite" and "accomplished."  ;)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 12:24:20 PM »
He certainly has some experience in front of a camera. And the skill set of someone like an NFL QB might translate to the fast paced game management the show requires.

But...I’m still a little apprehensive about the guest host period becoming a circus.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 04:27:01 PM »
Sitcom star Mayim Bialk and 60 Minutes's Bill Whitaker have been confirmed from a TVLine article as guest hosts. And as per a Jeopardy representative, as part of each guest host’s appearance, a donation will be made to a charity of their choice with the amount donated will equal to the cumulative winnings of the contestants that compete during the weeks they serve as a guest host.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »
After hearing the new parade of guest hosts, I’m beginning to respect the decision to hire Katie Couric a bit more. I only knew the choices were going to be more bizarre than Aaron Rogers, although Rogers did play as a celebrity contestant so I’ll give him that. I had to familiarize myself on who Mayim Bialk and Bill Whitaker were because I’m too young to remember Blossom and I’m not even a casual viewer of 60 Minutes.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »
I most know Mayim Bialk for her role as Amy Farrah Fowler on CBS's hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
In addition, Mike Richards will host after Ken finishes his slate of games.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist