6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 104990 times)

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »
In addition, Mike Richards will host after Ken finishes his slate of games.

I honestly hope that's not true. If it is, Mike will have proven himself to be a disgusting opportunist, and I'll lose any respect I've ever had for him.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
I honestly hope that's not true. If it is, Mike will have proven himself to be a disgusting opportunist, and I'll lose any respect I've ever had for him.

It is true indeed PatrickRox80, as the official website has confirmed Mike will be hosting for two weeks once Ken Jennings’ episodes conclude to keep the show on the air while preparing for the guest hosts.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/roster-guest-hosts-announced

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »
It is true indeed PatrickRox80, as the official website has confirmed Mike will be hosting for two weeks once Ken Jennings’ episodes conclude to keep the show on the air while preparing for the guest hosts.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/roster-guest-hosts-announced

Kind of understandable. I'd have preferred a few more weeks with Ken or maybe Brad Rutter if he was available.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »

Yes, how dare he take a guest hosting stint when they’re in need of temporary hosts.
The nerve.
[/sarcasm]

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
Why? Ken must've only been available for the 30 shows, and Mike was the easiest fill-in until the next guest host could come in.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2021, 12:24:59 AM »
I most know Mayim Bialk for her role as Amy Farrah Fowler on CBS's hit sitcom The Big Bang Theory.

Mayim Bialik holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience in real life, so it should be interesting to see how she does as guest host.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2021, 03:18:51 PM »
I have just never been a fan of Richards as a host, and I dislike some of the changes he brought to Price. He doesn't seem personable to me. I will not be watching his stint. 

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 04:40:03 PM »
I have believed for years Richards would rather be in front of a camera than behind it.

My wife and daughter loved Blossom back then (daughter preferred the fast talking friend, Six I think was her name), none of us ever got into Big Bang Theory. I don’t think the person who does end up with the job has to be a brain, as Fleming and Trebek weren’t necessarily (bright guys, but not brains, I hope that makes sense). If a person can read and speak clearly, and inject a bit of personality, they would be a potential host. It’s a game where a Steve Harvey type or a generic college professor personality would be a terrible choice.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
I don't have a problem with Mike Richards hosting.  I'm even going to place him amongst the greatest gameshow hosts of all time, or even the people hosting gameshows today.  However, based off of the small sample size we've seen, I think he was pretty good as a host.  Not great, but exceeded expectations.

As mentioned, it was rather imperative that he would be included; that was speculated even when Alex was still alive.  In my opinion, it would have been stupid for him to pass up on the opportunity.  Given the times we are in and the availability of prospects due to that as well as one's own schedule, it makes total sense. 

Now, if Mike Richards ends up being the permanent host, that may be a different story, but I think I might pass on making an opinion on his hosting style on Jeopardy until after his shows air
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »
I have trouble understanding why so many on this board seem to dislike Mike Richards.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »
Same here. Good lord, the man could order pancakes at a diner and people would be offended he’s not a waffle lover.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
They (including Roger Dobkowitz) are really mad at him over TPIR. That's probably why seemingly everyone hates him.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2021, 12:38:20 PM »
They (including Roger Dobkowitz) are really mad at him over TPIR. That's probably why seemingly everyone hates him.
What are they so mad about? Mike fixed many aspects of the show.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »
Because Roger would have left the show just like it was. Bob and he were sticklers about the show being almost live-to-tape, they didn't like change, at least drastic change. By the time Bob left, the show was stale. The prizes were bland, with the exception of the occasional Caddy, Lincoln, or Vette. The show was stuck in a bygone era, and that's just how Roger (and Bob) liked it. It was easy.  If Mike had been a carbon copy of Roger, the show would've been canceled by now. I agree that Mike's first bit in his role at Price was rocky, and he made a lot of drastic changes much too quickly. However, once he got acclimated, he did a very good job of turning things around and making it a show fit for today's style and demographic while keeping the core of the show what it always has been.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »
I have trouble understanding why so many on this board seem to dislike Mike Richards.

I think you'll find that the number of folks who dislike Mr. Richards around here are greatly in the minority.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.