6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105350 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2021, 08:17:37 PM »
It’s a group of vocal internet fans. Sony isn’t under an obligation to humor them if it’s not what they want to do.

Also, as good as he could potentially be, LeVar Burton is well into his 60s. They probably want someone younger who will last a while.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2021, 08:28:09 PM »
Very true.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:14 PM »
Although one episode is a small sample space, I though Anderson Cooper did a great job hosting today.  The way he read the answers reminds me of Alex the most.  I am sure being a newsperson helps in this sense.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2021, 11:44:07 AM »
Felt the same way. I wouldn't want to see him leave CNN, nor do I think he would, but have felt for quite some time that he would be an ideal "prototype" to host Jeopardy.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2021, 10:23:14 PM »
For a second I thought Anderson was headed to his 60s himself, at which point I was like, “He isn’t that much younger than LeVar!”  However, as I feel pretty bad adding 4 years to him, he actually hit the 50s not too long ago.

Mr. Cooper was great, as expected.  Having seen his earlier stuff including Channel One as well as the Mole, this would’ve been easy for him, IMO.  Man, he was pretty super serious on the latter, though.

I doubt he’s leaving CNN either.  What’s a bigger gig, though: Jeopardy or CNN?  FWIW, prior to CNN (and 60 minutes) Mr. Cooper had a decent spot with The Mole but the exec sort of botched that program, but nearly 2 decades later, I think Anderson is doing quite well.

If there ever were a pleasant surprise for whoever succeeds Alex, it would be Anderson.  He is actually, IMO, one of the top 3 legit candidates they have, including who’s been announced.  That would be based on his past and present work.

I think Mr. Burton not even getting a shot is a bigger deal than I (and maybe others) are making it out to be.  It would look like they’re just putting him on for “filler” and have no intention of hiring him.  I think he would’ve done better than at least a couple of whom we’ve seen, but as mentioned, age is a pretty big factor.  Now, I know that he’s around Drew and Steve in terms of age (even though they both don’t work for Sony), but in my opinion, it would be even worse if they hire LeVar for a short-lived stint before someone else to host over the following several decades.

Mr. Burton not getting a shot is saddening due to my respect coupled with the media’s wishes to have him on, but it’s likely overblown due to that.  TPTB not giving him a shot isn’t a big deal otherwise
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PricingPatrick

• Outside in Line
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2021, 07:11:48 AM »
Here’s my prediction, unless Mayim Bialik scores incredible ratings or reviews, Aaron Rodgers will get the Jeopardy! gig. He’s proven the most committed to the job and the reviews were strong.

However, Mike Richards will replace Pat Sajak as host of Wheel. Fewer taping days would be beneficial to Mike’s other roles and he seems to gel more into Wheel then he did on Jeopardy! (Which he was amazing it anyways). Remember Pat is in his 70s and now has been doing Wheel since 1981 (counting the NBC version). I think Sony would be wise to put the now well-known commodity that is Mike Richards into the Wheel role as soon as Pat retires. Guest hosts on Jeopardy! were born of necessity and won’t be as appreciated on Wheel

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:08 AM »
Unless Aaron retires from the NFL, he's not getting the permanent gig at least not right now. His reviews were good yes, but I think that was partially because he was following Dr. Oz who had mostly negative reviews.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
Honestly Anderson fits the Jeopardy host role very perfectly. His style is very similar to Alex. I feel like he would be accepted well.

I thought Aaron was boring.

I would love to see Mike Richards host Wheel. Pat/Vanna needs to retire the show has been bland for some years. I would love to see some updates and a host with energy take over.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:49:41 AM by Reloaden »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »
I see no practical way they can put Aaron as host. It’s not feasible to squeeze in effectively an entire season in his off season, let alone account for his offseason physical/training regimen.

Heck, I’d be behind moving Jeopardy to New York to get Anderson, but that’s a pure pipe dream.

I still have a feeling Savannah will be excellent, but time will tell.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
I see no practical way they can put Aaron as host. It’s not feasible to squeeze in effectively an entire season in his off season, let alone account for his offseason physical/training regimen.

Heck, I’d be behind moving Jeopardy to New York to get Anderson, but that’s a pure pipe dream.

I still have a feeling Savannah will be excellent, but time will tell.

I'm very optimistic about Mayim Bialik.

Someone once thought I was crazy when I said six years ago "Anderson Cooper would make a great Jeopardy host". Guess I wasn't so crazy after all! 😃
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
I still think that Ken has earned the job, and he did quite well. I also liked Aaron (did well and was quite prepared), and I'm liking Anderson. I would be content, at least, with any of these as permanent host.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
Further scheduling and additional guest hosts for the remainder of the season have been announced: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule?fbclid=IwAR327o9_7wKGAxPjBLDnQZcN9OKvf6HApA6tiWKNlgT86h2vERci13h91pg
ABC Good Morning America's George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts, CNBC "Squawk on the Street" co-host David Faber... and LeVar Burton round out the rest of the names hosting for one week each between July and August. Joe Buck will host the final week of the season, August 9 through 13.

So one surprise is that the season will be extending into mid-August. George Stephanopoulos is no surprise since he's been speculated as a possibility for a while, Robin Roberts is a nice surprise addition. I'm pretty surprised honestly they did actually add LeVar in.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
Also, as good as he could potentially be, LeVar Burton is well into his 60s. They probably want someone younger who will last a while.

Open mouth, insert foot.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2021, 03:39:35 PM »
Well, it’s just a guest gig.

I mean, now the social media crowd will just complain all that much more if he’s not the permanent host because...people are never content.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2021, 04:56:38 PM »
I think the point that he's not a young man still applies.

Buzzy Cohen is 36
Aaron Rodgers is 37

Mayim Bialik is 45
Mike Richards is 45
Ken Jennings is 46
Savannah Guthrie is 49

Joe Buck is 51
Dr. Sanjay Gupta is 51
Anderson Cooper is 53
David Faber is 57

Robin Roberts is 60
Dr. Mehmet Oz is 60
George Stephanopoulos is 60
Katie Couric is 64
LeVar Burton is 64
Bill Whitaker is 69

Average age of the guest hosts is 52.93 (just about 53). Alex was 44 when he was hired. They are going to probably choose someone on the lower end of the age bracket.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]