6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105099 times)

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »
Controversial take:

I think a fair thing to do is listen to the community and give LeVar (or other popular guest hosts legitimately interested in the job and who had support) another round if they'd like it. Let the execs and audience see if Mike tried to muddy the waters for them or if their choppy performances were really just their approach.

In a specific example: I always thought LeVar trying to do a PR tour to lower expectations of his hosting was because he knew he'd struggled and wanted to get ahead of it. I don't think Mike necessarily set him up for failure. But why not test that with another week of shows.

You then get the goodwill of the audience as the show tries to make it right for a non-controversial fan favorite (or series of favorites) and, if they continue to struggle, sending the implicit message that maybe the show isn't right for them (or, conversely, if they succeed, that perhaps there was a spark that was missed the first time).

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2021, 10:43:19 PM »
According to some people on call at Sony, Mike Richards is expected to keep the EP job, but will be working under a much shorter leash:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/business/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-executive-producer.html?searchResultPosition=1

Relevant section for those who can't get behind the paywall:

During a call with “Jeopardy!” staff on Monday, Sony’s top TV executive, Ravi Ahuja, made clear that the studio supported Mr. Richards, according to several people briefed on the call who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations.

Mr. Ahuja praised Mr. Richards for his willingness to step down from the hosting job, saying it was the right move for “Jeopardy!,” and signaled that he expected the crew to move forward from last week’s uproar with Mr. Richards in charge, the people said.

He lamented the media coverage of Mr. Richards and instructed the staff not to speak to reporters. Mr. Ahuja also invoked his own upbringing as an Indian American who grew up in the 1970s in Mississippi, where, he said, he faced racially offensive remarks, to emphasize that he was sensitive to concerns about Mr. Richards’s crude comments, the people said.

Mr. Richards has agreed to undergo sensitivity training, the people said.

On the call, Mr. Richards apologized again for his behavior and asked for an opportunity to prove “who he really is,” according to his spokesman, Ed Tagliaferri.

Mr. Tagliaferri also swatted away the notion that Mr. Richards might be negotiating an exit from Sony, saying, “Mike is committed to continuing as the executive producer of ‘Jeopardy!’ and ‘Wheel of Fortune.’”

Sony has tapped a veteran business and legal affairs executive at the studio, Suzanne Prete, to oversee Mr. Richards at the show and “take more of an active presence on the creative direction and strategy.” Sony said that the new role for Ms. Prete, who will also oversee the business side of the show, was planned before last week’s uproar. She will report to Mr. Ahuja.

Now, the quote about Mike being committed to the show comes from his publicist, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also of note from the article: Three people familiar with the audition process said that Meredith Viera was lobbying hard for a guest host slot but the studio was not interested in anyone currently hosting a game show and 25 Words or Less put the kabosh on that [which is ludicrous to me, as though anyone thinks Meredith would put 25WOL in front of the Jeopardy gig if offered]

And Gwendolyn is willing to defend Mike:

Gwendolyn Osborne, a model who worked on "The Price Is Right" for more than 12 years and considers herself a friend of Mr. Richards, said she was shocked to learn about his podcast comments, saying they did not align with his behavior as a boss. Contrary to the behavior alleged in the pregnancy-discrimination lawsuit, she recalled that Mr. Richards supported her when she return to work from maternity leave, and then years later when she became pregnant again.

"I have reached out to him to tell him to continue to believe in his greatnesses, and that I do believe that everybody is worthy of redemption," she said in an interview.

Drew, Evelyn, and Rachel had previously made statements of support for Mike after the TPIR allegations resurfaced but AFAICT have been on radio silence after the Ringer article was dropped.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #407 on: August 27, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Came across this article on Buzzer blog.

http://buzzerblog.com/2021/08/20/brooke-burns-should-host-jeopardy-if-she-wants-to/

If this has already been mentioned before please forgive me.   Do you think she will make a good host?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #408 on: August 27, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »
Brooke has little to no chance at being the successor.  I think she would do well in the role, but based on the structure toward choosing the next host, IMO, it's not happening
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #409 on: August 28, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »
Three people familiar with the audition process said that Meredith Viera was lobbying hard for a guest host slot but the studio was not interested in anyone currently hosting a game show and 25 Words or Less put the kabosh on that [which is ludicrous to me, as though anyone thinks Meredith would put 25WOL in front of the Jeopardy gig if offered]

Meredith has a contract with the producers of 25 Words or Less. She doesn't get to unilaterally decide she would rather focus her attention on efforts to get hired by a competing program.

Brooke has little to no chance at being the successor.  I think she would do well in the role, but based on the structure toward choosing the next host, IMO, it's not happening

I think she probably would be a good host. But I also thought LeVar Burton would be a good host, and we saw what happened there. It's hard to predict.

I see no reason they could not accommodate a tryout, especially since she's already working for Sony. Ironically, I think her biggest challenge would be with casual fans who are unaware of her game show background and assume she is being tested strictly because of her looks.

Offline kishy214

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #410 on: August 29, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
I mentioned previously Ken would appear in Asheboro, NC for a speech/Q&A on Saturday, August 28. I went, and I believe I saw at least one other inactive member of our G-R community there.

The prepared remarks were about what you’d expect — think back to his TED Talk about “obsolete know-it-alls” and how having lots of knowledge can really just help you to be a better citizen.

The Q&A was all over the place. Lots of great questions about the show, current champion Matt, Ken’s childhood, etc. The question on everyone’s mind got asked by a particularly enthusiastic fan on the stage left side of the audience; “When will Jeopardy do the right thing and name you the permanent host?!” Ken responded that the show was once again using guest hosts, and that he considers himself a pretty likely name to be tossed around at Sony. He said he expects they will ask him to guest host again, but did not say anything about the permanent hosting job. “I’m just waiting by the phone. If they call, I’m in,” Ken said. When asked who he liked during their guest hosting run, he named Robin Roberts, Bialik, and David Faber.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #411 on: August 29, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »
My question to everyone saying Ken should just be named the next permanent host is: why are his previous insensitive/offensive comments ok, but others' aren't? If this host search has taught the Sony executives anything it's that when Pat and Vanna decide to call it a day, they need to start the search before the end of their final season (which I'm predicting to be season 40) and dig deep into their social media past so as to not have another embarrassing fiasco on their hands. Personally, I don't think things said years and years ago define a person today, but if you're going to apply standards to one person, the same standards have to be applied across the board when dealing with the same situation.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #412 on: August 29, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
Finding a person with the talent, name recognition and ability (be that contractually, lifestyle wise or both) who also has said nothing that offends anyone on social media? You’re better off finding a unicorn.

We don’t live in a world where that’s likely. There are going to be gray areas and whataboutism. First, we have no idea that Sony will offer him (or enter into serious discussions) about the job. So the whataboutism here is premature. But the reality is there will be decisions about which level of angst is tolerable to a given team at a given time. There are probably some obvious red lines that are immediately disqualifying. And some that will incense one group but not another. Such is modern life.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #413 on: August 29, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
My question to everyone saying Ken should just be named the next permanent host is: why are his previous insensitive/offensive comments ok, but others' aren't? If this host search has taught the Sony executives anything it's that when Pat and Vanna decide to call it a day, they need to start the search before the end of their final season (which I'm predicting to be season 40) and dig deep into their social media past so as to not have another embarrassing fiasco on their hands. Personally, I don't think things said years and years ago define a person today, but if you're going to apply standards to one person, the same standards have to be applied across the board when dealing with the same situation.
Ken owned up to the comments he made on Twitter and apologized, and otherwise has no other character flaws. The comments Mike made on the podcast were not brought up until after he got the job, and that along with the sexual harassment allegations resurfacing cost him. I agree though that Sony needs to learn their lesson here and handle the succession from Pat and Vanna on Wheel very differently to avoid the same mess.

And as imhomerjay said, no matter what something always seems to get found on a celebrity that will offend somebody.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #414 on: August 29, 2021, 07:57:27 PM »
While not discounting the value of the money it…uh…spins off, Wheel is somewhat different. Important to be sure. But let’s be honest, it’s not going to generate the same consternation. It should be easier to replace them and harder to screw up. The show just doesn’t have the intellectual heft behind it. The pool of suitable replacements should be far wider.

I mean…barring Rolf 2.0, this should be an easier lift for them if they learned a single, solitary thing.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2021, 09:34:40 PM »
... if they learned a single, solitary thing.
And considering this is Sony we're talking about, I'd be very, very surprised if they did.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #416 on: August 30, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
But we’re talking about very specific executives. Companies aren’t sentient. And executives have managed to have very successful programming for some time now. It may be these people at this time will make a mistake again. But the situation is more nuanced and has more shades of gray.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #417 on: August 30, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »
RuPaul is now reportedly interested in hosting Jeopardy.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #418 on: August 30, 2021, 02:52:34 PM »
Um, ok. Interested doesn't mean they're going to consider it (seriously, that is)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #419 on: August 30, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »
Hell, I'm interested in hosting Jeopardy!. Tell the presses!
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.