6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105171 times)

Offline PatrickMadison

• Outside in Line
Re: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post
« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2022, 08:00:18 AM »
Finding a person with the talent, name recognition and ability (be that contractually, lifestyle wise or both) who also has said nothing that offends anyone on social media? You’re better off finding a unicorn.

We don’t live in a world where that’s likely. There are going to be gray areas and whataboutism. First, we have no idea that Sony will offer him (or enter into serious discussions) about the job. So the whataboutism here is premature. But the reality is there will be decisions about which level of angst is tolerable to a given team at a given time. There are probably some obvious red lines that are immediately disqualifying. And some that will incense one group but not another. Such is modern life.

twitter [DOT] com/MortuaryReport/status/1346134633688276994

Unpacking Ken's tweets:

Anti-gay comments. Racist comments about South Asians. Racist comments about East Asians. Racist comment about Hispanics (Spanish-speakers). Homophobic comments. Islamophobic comments. Racist comments about Romani, including a slur. Used the same "ret" slur Mike Richards used. Racist comment mocking Native Americans. Used an indigenous slur. Used terms like "jewy." Multiple ableist comments (not just the hot person in a wheelchair one). Mocking disabled people that expressed animus with his ableist comment(s). Comments that aren't racist towards black people but trivialize racism against black people.

I would say this goes beyond some ~always going to be some whataboutism~ And I don't think most J viewers are aware of this. And I don't think that most celebrities have this much baggage.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
You joined today to respond to a 10 month old post about Ken Jennings?

Offline PatrickMadison

• Outside in Line
« Reply #482 on: June 22, 2022, 10:42:05 PM »
You joined today to respond to a 10 month old post about Ken Jennings?

In a word.......Yes.

Though I wouldn't have quoted it if any Jeopardy journalists would have... ya know... done their job and actually posted the reality concerning Ken.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
or maybe we need to stop cancelling folk for past mistakes

mistakes that people would usually learn from if given the chance

Offline EhManana

• Outside in Line
« Reply #484 on: June 24, 2022, 02:36:15 PM »
People should be held accountable for what they have done in the past. I'm not the biggest fan of either Bialik or Jennings, I would have preferred someone like LeVar Burton.

Offline PatrickMadison

• Outside in Line
« Reply #485 on: June 24, 2022, 09:56:38 PM »
or maybe we need to stop cancelling folk for past mistakes

mistakes that people would usually learn from if given the chance

Too late for that. J! chose its cancel path at the beginning of the season.

And while some people would learn, Jennings isn't one of them. He was called out years ago for some of his tweets and kept doubling and doubling down, even saying he should get an apology from a disabled man for correcting his vocabulary. And remember, only a few days after he gave a fake apology just to get the Jeopardy job, he showed much more disdain for the sleuthers who found his podcast buddy's bigoted tweets than he did for the bigoted comments.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #486 on: June 24, 2022, 10:09:26 PM »
also, i'm sure you have something someone like you would point out

and these are your first three posts in this whole forum... way to endear yourself...

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #487 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:45 PM »
Ok, WHERE is the fanbase pulling this "Jeopardy is about the be cancelled" nonsense from? The Show's ratings are GOOD, even NOW! How are people not getting this?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #488 on: June 24, 2022, 10:25:20 PM »
Too late for that. J! chose its cancel path at the beginning of the season.

And while some people would learn, Jennings isn't one of them. He was called out years ago for some of his tweets and kept doubling and doubling down, even saying he should get an apology from a disabled man for correcting his vocabulary. And remember, only a few days after he gave a fake apology just to get the Jeopardy job, he showed much more disdain for the sleuthers who found his podcast buddy's bigoted tweets than he did for the bigoted comments.

...did he personally hurt you?

EDIT: They just won ANOTHER Emmy, so...yeah.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:35:09 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #489 on: June 25, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
People should be held accountable for what they have done in the past. I'm not the biggest fan of either Bialik or Jennings, I would have preferred someone like LeVar Burton.
Who among us hasn't said or done something that upon reflection, we probably would have done something different?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #490 on: June 25, 2022, 12:53:58 PM »
Just to try to steer this thread back into actual hosting news, according to XFinity's program guide Ken will be hosting the final two weeks of the season with Mayim still hosting through then (the weeks of July 18 and 25).

Also, Buzzy Cohen posted a cryptic clue on Twitter that he could be the one hosting Celebrity Jeopardy rather than Mayim or Ken. https://www.tvinsider.com/1049232/jeopardy-buzzy-return-host-tweet/

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2022, 09:36:27 AM »
I realize this is bumping, but I feel this is relevant: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-hosts-1235325067/
It looks like status quo for a while yet.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2022, 01:44:26 PM »
That's fine for me.  To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with both permanently.  I hardly think the show would crumble if they split duties going forward.  I do not think there's a law that mandates just one person hosting a gameshow series.  For me, it's show first, host or hosts second.

If and when they go with one, I might bet on that being the result of Jennings or Bialik moving on to greener pastures than TPTB making a final official call in the one person that will succeed Trebek
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #493 on: July 27, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:15 PM »
Looks like they named Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings as permanent hosts. Ken will host from Sept-Jan and Mayim from Jan to the end of the season.

I said this from the start they should both just host the show. They appeal to different viewers and it keeps the show fresh.