6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105167 times)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
Re: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post
« Reply #495 on: July 28, 2022, 10:11:58 PM »
While Mayim Bialik  is hosting the second half of the season, will Ken still be doing his other job on the show (Consulting Producer)?

I did not see it anywhere in the article.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #496 on: July 29, 2022, 12:15:51 PM »
Ken probably would return to the Chase if it gets renewed to fill the gap. Meanwhile, tonight wraps up the first full post-Trebek season of Jeopardy! Outside of the period around February/March and for the past several weeks, much of the season was dominated by long-running champs, with nine qualifiers for the next Tournament of Champions coming in November, plus another for the Professors Tournament.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if the Teen Tournament has been retired, last being held in 2019.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2022, 03:06:14 PM »
Hard to make any judgement about tournaments given how the pandemic scrambled things. Sure, they reworked college into that primetime special, but maybe it was just too much to undertake yet more tournaments in a season filled with flux.

Offline amazzola910

• Outside in Line
  • What a bonehead
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2022, 08:07:32 PM »
This thread has not been updated in a few weeks, and I'm not sure if this will continue to be utilized into Season 39 onward, but there's a plethora of updates regarding the show!

First off, Second Chance will take place from October 17-28 in two week-long spurts. Each of the two weeks will consist of three qualifying games, with the winners advancing to a two-day final, with the winners of each week advancing to the TOC. The link to the players and bracket can be found below.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/second-chance

Inside Jeopardy! launched on Monday, August 1, will release weekly episodes on Monday around roughly 10:00 pm on the east coast. Michael Davies and Sarah Witcomb Foss host the show.

Over the past two weeks they've talked about a LOT:

- Ken and Mayim will do their first ever joint interview on the podcast towards the beginning of S39.
- A J! book club, which was hinted at in February, is still in the works.
- The teen tournament may be revived/rebranded as a high school week.
- Ed Coulson, who competed during the final week of S38, was the professors tournament alternate.
- Davies attributes the uptick in superchamps to the changing and evolving nature of general knowledge, while Sarah attributes it to the "game show gods".
- There will be a new TOC structure, which will be unveiled on next week's episode, in which Buzzy Cohen will appear.
- Davies discussed about Jeopardy! Masters League, which he would like to do live, whether in Primetime or on streaming, he's also open to the idea of Ken, James, and Buzzy playing again, in spite of bending the host/contestant rules.
- Johnny's home studio is referred to as "Studio J".
- One of the initial changes Davies made was how Mayim would look over to where Johnny was in spite of him not being there, and redirecting her to the front camera, citing its lack of authenticity.
- The staff thought Amy would lose her tenth game to Pam Schoenberg, as she had 4 more correct responses heading into final than Amy.
- Sarah and Davies talked to Sadie Goldberger about the whole Harriet Tubman controversy and replayed her writing out her response several times to be sure they were making the right call.
- The show makes judging decisions with "sound logic and equity".
- The stylus pen times out with the FJ! music.
- Contestants have 5 minutes to make their FJ! wager, with a 30 second warning given.
- Ken is known to watch old footage of Alex to pick up tips and pointers.
- The inaugural Jeopardy! Honors will be held at Stage 10 on September 19, the day before the TOC tapes. Tony Griffin and Jean Trebek will be in attendance.
- Alex Trebek, Merv and Julanne Griffin, Harry Friedman, and Johnny Gilbert will be part of the inaugural Jeopardy! Hall of Fame class.
- Michael has great respect for Harry Friedman as a producer and called him to make him aware of his induction.
- Sarah called Johnny personally
- Future HOF classes will include superchamps.
- A dedication to Art Fleming is not out of the question.
- Award categories at the J! Honors will include best sportsmanship, best dressed, and best penmanship.
- The podcast will eventually be offered in video form on Youtube.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2022, 09:43:04 PM »
- The show makes judging decisions with "sound logic and equity".

I chuckled

Offline amazzola910

• Outside in Line
  • What a bonehead
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2022, 08:53:41 PM »
The 2022 TOC format and field has been announced! Begins October 31, immediately following the second chance tournament.

1. Jaskaran Singh (JNCC 2022)
2. Sam Buttrey (Professor's Tournament)
3. Amy Schneider
4. Matt Amodio
5. Mattea Roach
6. Ryan Long
7. Jonathan Fisher
8. Brian Chang
9. Courtney Shah
10. Eric Ahasic
11. Zach Newkirk
12. Megan Wachspress
13. Andrew He
14. Tyler Rhode
15. Jackie Kelly
16. John Focht
17. Margaret Shelton
18. Maureen O'Neil
19. Christine Whelchel
20. Second Chance Tournament Winner #1
21. Second Chance Tournament Winner #2

PRE-SEEDING

Jeopardy will be seeding these 3 players directly into the semi-finals:

•    Amy Schneider
    •    Matt Amodio
    •    Mattea Roach

Davies’ rationale for this is that these 3 players are so far ahead of the rest of the field that they felt it would be unbalanced to put them in a first seed bracket (quarter-finals).

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

•    6 Quarter-Final games
    •    Winner of each QF advances to the Semi-Finals
    •    3 seeded players added to SF bracket
    •    9 SFs will play 3 different games
    •    3 SF winners will play the final match.

THE FINAL MATCH

The 3 finalists will play a **first to three games** matchup, a la the 2019 “GOAT” tournament with Ken, James, and Brad.  This would take as few as 3 days, and as many as 7 days.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2022, 09:43:54 PM »
Interesting, but I am not a fan of changing the TOC format after ALL of these years. And seeding gives an advantage I don't think is fair.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 09:48:07 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2022, 09:57:05 PM »
Sometimes a change is needed...and I think giving Amy, Matt and Mattea automatic make sense as we are in a new era, simply put, of super champs.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #503 on: August 15, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »
Sometimes a change is needed...and I think giving Amy, Matt and Mattea automatic make sense as we are in a new era, simply put, of super champs.
But if they are "super champs", why do they need a bye into the semi-finals?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2022, 10:08:19 PM »
Because we already KNOW how they play. We all do. They are, simply put, forces not to be messed with and could easily knock out any competition. Its very, very likely we would see the three of them in the finals, but at least now the other champs will get a fighting chance.

Someone made a good point that the new format also kinda/sorta ignores Nov sweeps and builds anticipation in an increasingly competitive world.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2022, 10:12:52 PM »
Because we already KNOW how they play. We all do. They are, simply put, forces not to be messed with and could easily knock out any competition. Its very, very likely we would see the three of them in the finals, but at least now the other champs will get a fighting chance.
Easily knock out any competition? They all have lost to someone else.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2022, 10:16:28 PM »
Yeah, after 38, 40, and 23 games.  One game, after months (maybe even a year, I think) of prep and anticipation will make them even more ready to play- and win.

Amy, Matt, Mattea, are different than most champions. Throwing them in any preliminary game is asking for a runaway game when, tbh, people were getting a little fatigued with the super champs as it is. This is a good move and not "change for the sake of change".
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:23:05 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2022, 11:08:09 PM »
You know what?  I actually like this format.  While I grew up with the wild card version of a tournament, the first round byes for those three are fair enough.  I guess it decreases the chance for a pre-finals upset, but I respect a tournament where you actually have to win every game to advance
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
As accustomed as I am to the traditional ToC format, it is time for a change. The main issue I had with the past few tournaments was the qualifying period. It used to be over a year, and towards the end of Trebek's tenure it got to be double that. The longer it got, the lower chance a four-time winner had at getting invited. It's glad to see they're increasing the playing field to accommodate the qualifying period this time.

Giving Matt, Amy and Mattea first round byes and removing wild cards makes the quarterfinal matches more competitive. The latter will give players more of an incentive to win. It'll be exciting to see in action.

Has it been announced yet what the prizes will be for this upcoming tournament and the Second Chance games? I'm thinking a $50,000 minimum for each Second Chance winner, considering that they'll use the two-day final format. It wouldn't surprise me if they upped the ToC grand prize to $500,000, although $250,000 is still a nice chunk of change.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2022, 10:54:29 AM »
These all have the potential to be great tweaks. Becoming stale because “we’ve always done it that way” is a terrible rationale.

And if in execution something falls flat, they revisit and revise as needed.