Author Topic: College Hoops 2020-2021  (Read 520 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
College Hoops 2020-2021
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:00:20 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to sports, there are a handful of events or periods full of them to look forward to annually.  Opening Day.  The Cup-Clinching game in the Stanley Cup finals.  For the latter, the series and the postseason as a whole.  Wimbledon.  Army-Navy.  The Saturday of NBA All-Star break.  The Super Bowl.  And the Masters.

In between those two are personal periods that I wait for annually.  Especially given the fact that I've dealt with the worst weather within a long period that follows the Big Game every first Sunday of February.   Throughout this year, there have been several tragedies that are a bigger deal than a lot of the stuff that doesnít benefit oneís livelihood.  Unless your career (and future) is (are) based off of that.

I will admit, I was not happy when Selection Sunday and the NCAA Tournament were both cancelled.  I was livid period.  Not conference tournaments that preceded it, no Thursday & Friday opening day.  No Final Four.  As mentioned there are bigger issues, but it doesnít mean you canít be upset about it.

November 25, 2020 was a special day, in my opinion.  Within a pandemic, we finally saw the return of the last of six big sports (including the 4 professional sports & college football).  Obviously different, I was glad to see it back.  Ongoing issues have impacted the sport, but to see College hoops in any capacity is a blessing.  Itís a recognition that we are in a pandemic, but itís a sign that people have to live their lives on their own terms

As for the action, I think Villanova is going to win it all.  Not really an official pick, but I forgot that they were rolling last year and this year, returned 4 of 5 starters
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: College Hoops 2020-2021
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:08:14 AM »
My own "look forward to" list includes: Pro: anything NFL related in the regular season or postseason, MLB opening day, the World Series, the NBA Finals, and the Stanley Cup Finals. College: All New Year's Six Bowls and the National Championship game, Ohio State-Michigan football, the Iron Bowl, Duke-North Carolina basketball, major conference basketball tournaments and the NCAA tournament.  But I'm an NFL fan 1st. Before the sports shutdown I remember having goosebumps seeing all the living members of the NFL's 100 all time team on the field before the Super Bowl. That was awesome. 

I was glad to my Sun Devils get a win over Rhode Island tonight 92-88. I think we have a shot at making the field of 68 this season. Though I certainty don't see us beating Villanova tomorrow night.

FWIW, I personally believe that if the NCAA tournament had been played last year that Kansas would have won the natty last year. As for this year, it's impossible to make picks this early in a season in college because of how much teams change from year to year.

A lot of games today were blowouts but it didn't matter. It just felt awesome to watch college basketball again.  There was something almost nostalgic about seeing ESPN refer to "Feast week"  Very happy to see basketball again.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Best in the World
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
I will admit, I was not happy when Selection Sunday and the NCAA Tournament were both cancelled.  I was livid period.  Not conference tournaments that preceded it, no Thursday & Friday opening day.  No Final Four.  As mentioned there are bigger issues, but it doesnít mean you canít be upset about it.

If you were livid that an overhyped sports tournament based on nothing but greed (the hypocrisy of college players being "amateur" athletes is laughable) was cancelled during a national health crisis, the worst such crisis in modern times, then you seriously need to rethink your priorities.

It's nice to have some sense of "normalcy" in these less-than-normal times, but public health always needs to take priority.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:50:54 PM »
As expected. my Sun Devils lose to Villanova 83-74. Villanova is clearly elite.

Meanwhile, Illinois is spectacular offensively scoring 122 points yesterday and 97 today.

My how the mighty have fallen. WTF happened to the Jayhawks today?! SMH!
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Online jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
Apologies for the month long bump, but officials announced today that the NCCA men's basketball tournament will be played in Indiana. With teams playing most of the games at multiple venues in Indianapolis and some in Bloomington and West Lafayette.

Selection Sunday is still scheduled for March 14, while the Final Four is tentative for April 3 and 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30650595/ncaa-men-basketball-tournament-played-entirely-indiana