Author Topic: College Hoops 2020-2021  (Read 9433 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
College Hoops 2020-2021
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:00:20 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to sports, there are a handful of events or periods full of them to look forward to annually.  Opening Day.  The Cup-Clinching game in the Stanley Cup finals.  For the latter, the series and the postseason as a whole.  Wimbledon.  Army-Navy.  The Saturday of NBA All-Star break.  The Super Bowl.  And the Masters.

In between those two are personal periods that I wait for annually.  Especially given the fact that I've dealt with the worst weather within a long period that follows the Big Game every first Sunday of February.   Throughout this year, there have been several tragedies that are a bigger deal than a lot of the stuff that doesn’t benefit one’s livelihood.  Unless your career (and future) is (are) based off of that.

I will admit, I was not happy when Selection Sunday and the NCAA Tournament were both cancelled.  I was livid period.  Not conference tournaments that preceded it, no Thursday & Friday opening day.  No Final Four.  As mentioned there are bigger issues, but it doesn’t mean you can’t be upset about it.

November 25, 2020 was a special day, in my opinion.  Within a pandemic, we finally saw the return of the last of six big sports (including the 4 professional sports & college football).  Obviously different, I was glad to see it back.  Ongoing issues have impacted the sport, but to see College hoops in any capacity is a blessing.  It’s a recognition that we are in a pandemic, but it’s a sign that people have to live their lives on their own terms

As for the action, I think Villanova is going to win it all.  Not really an official pick, but I forgot that they were rolling last year and this year, returned 4 of 5 starters
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: College Hoops 2020-2021
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:08:14 AM »
My own "look forward to" list includes: Pro: anything NFL related in the regular season or postseason, MLB opening day, the World Series, the NBA Finals, and the Stanley Cup Finals. College: All New Year's Six Bowls and the National Championship game, Ohio State-Michigan football, the Iron Bowl, Duke-North Carolina basketball, major conference basketball tournaments and the NCAA tournament.  But I'm an NFL fan 1st. Before the sports shutdown I remember having goosebumps seeing all the living members of the NFL's 100 all time team on the field before the Super Bowl. That was awesome. 

I was glad to my Sun Devils get a win over Rhode Island tonight 92-88. I think we have a shot at making the field of 68 this season. Though I certainty don't see us beating Villanova tomorrow night.

FWIW, I personally believe that if the NCAA tournament had been played last year that Kansas would have won the natty last year. As for this year, it's impossible to make picks this early in a season in college because of how much teams change from year to year.

A lot of games today were blowouts but it didn't matter. It just felt awesome to watch college basketball again.  There was something almost nostalgic about seeing ESPN refer to "Feast week"  Very happy to see basketball again.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
I will admit, I was not happy when Selection Sunday and the NCAA Tournament were both cancelled.  I was livid period.  Not conference tournaments that preceded it, no Thursday & Friday opening day.  No Final Four.  As mentioned there are bigger issues, but it doesn’t mean you can’t be upset about it.

If you were livid that an overhyped sports tournament based on nothing but greed (the hypocrisy of college players being "amateur" athletes is laughable) was cancelled during a national health crisis, the worst such crisis in modern times, then you seriously need to rethink your priorities.

It's nice to have some sense of "normalcy" in these less-than-normal times, but public health always needs to take priority.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:50:54 PM »
As expected. my Sun Devils lose to Villanova 83-74. Villanova is clearly elite.

Meanwhile, Illinois is spectacular offensively scoring 122 points yesterday and 97 today.

My how the mighty have fallen. WTF happened to the Jayhawks today?! SMH!
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
Apologies for the month long bump, but officials announced today that the NCCA men's basketball tournament will be played in Indiana. With teams playing most of the games at multiple venues in Indianapolis and some in Bloomington and West Lafayette.

Selection Sunday is still scheduled for March 14, while the Final Four is tentative for April 3 and 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30650595/ncaa-men-basketball-tournament-played-entirely-indiana

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:58:40 PM »
1353742196814589957[/tweet]]On This Day 33 Years Ago...Send it in, Jerome!

In modern day news, I still cannot believe that it's been SIX decades since Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina were all out of the Top 25.  That is incredible.  I think Kentucky might be in trouble, I don't know about UNC, but IMO Duke can recover and easily made the NCAA Tournament

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »
What's really amazing about that too is.....Kentucky had a probation period at the end of the 80's/beginning of the 90's. and even THEN they woulda still been in Top 25, that's unreal.

It is, but on the other hand, it's pretty typical.  Big time programs or blue bloods get that type of treatment more often than not.  The rankings stuff happens today, but if a school had a postseason ban it wouldn't matter too much.  Especially as it relates to the NCAA Tournament

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »
Selection Sunday is four weeks from Sunday, and prior to that, courtesy of CBS and NCAA March Madness, comes the 5th annual Preview Show.  It's the typical "If the season ended today" outlook where the NCAA Hoops committee and the Road to the Final Four team selected their top teams for the NCAA Tournament.

At the mid point (between the average start of conference play and the conference championship games) Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan, Ohio State.  Alabama, Villanova, Houston, and Illinois round out the Top 8 (1 seeds and 2 seeds).  As of February 13, Gonzaga is the overall one seed, but speculation of Baylor passing them down the stretch is legitimate.  The Top 16 teams so far can be found right here.

Obviously no preview of all 68 teams this year; they didn't originally do that.  It's something they started later on.  Might have done it in 2020, but definitely in 2019

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
Well, it's Selection Sunday, and to the surprise of no one, there has yet to be any programs to voluntarily bow out of March Madness.  Well, outside of Duke, whose athletic director ended things last week due to a positive test.  Two other schools (Kansas & Virginia) bowed out of their respective conference tournaments for the same reason, but they are slated to be within the field of 68.  They were before Conference Week even started.

Jerry Palm's "Top 8" teams remain the same for the most part.  As in 75% of it.  Big 10 teams Illinois & Ohio State, who are currently playing as of this post, swapped places from the projections made 4 weeks ago.  Michigan, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Alabama stayed put.

Joe Lunardi's Last Four In & First Four Out include Syracuse being the last team (and hoping the tourney steals exclude the AAC Title Game).  WSU is the first four out, but think they might be doomed.  Michigan State might have to earn their way into the main 64-team bracket.

The Big East Game was a nice treat.  IMO, that was vintage Georgetown

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
Well, it's Selection Sunday, and to the surprise of no one, there has yet to be any programs to voluntarily bow out of March Madness.  Well, outside of Duke, whose athletic director ended things last week due to a positive test. 

Actually they may still play if they are selected for the tournament.....so might not be done afterall. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31057689/source-duke-blue-devils-play-ncaa-tournament-selected

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:13 PM »
Actually they may still play if they are selected for the tournament.....so might not be done afterall. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31057689/source-duke-blue-devils-play-ncaa-tournament-selected

Looks like Duke didn’t make it after all.  I don’t think they were going to get in anyway, and if they had, I don’t think they would’ve been much of a threat this year.  However, it didn’t help that their AD said that their “season was over” which it likely was given the fact that they needed a tourney win.  I think a win over Florida State would’ve had them limping into the dance (at Syracuse’s expense).  On the other hand, there were so many stolen bids including the Big East Tournament Winner that anyone on the bubble was pretty much at the committee’s mercy

Gonzaga, Baylor, Illinois and Michigan headline the 2021 Mens Division I NCAA Tournament.  Unlike Virginia 3 years ago, overall top seed Gonzaga has a rather easy path into the final four.  I think the Bulldogs would have to beat themselves in order to bow out prior to April.

Michigan State & UCLA, both programs who were in similar positions Duke was in, face each other in one of the First Four matchups on Thursday.  That has the potential to be a great game.  Speaking of the First Four, I actually had concerns that the winners on Thursday might have to play the next day, but all of the teams would earn a spot against a team scheduled to tip on Saturday.

Here are the tip times for this year's NCAA Tournament.  A previous discussion started by jhc2010 over a month ago included a change in terms of what days the games would take place.

To be brief, the first week was pushed back a day, and the second week was pushed back two days.  The times are pretty much the same as it relates to the first week.  However, the second week tip times are somewhat reversed.  The Sweet 16 starts in the afternoon given the weekend start, while the Elite 8 takes place in primetime EST, both on weeknights.  The Final Four and National Championship game dates and times remain as scheduled

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
Don't forget to join the official bracket pool!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »
Thanks cu.  Bracket submitted (before the deadline obviously).  Should we continue any March Madness discussion in the other thread, or should we post NCAA Tourney discussion here?  Even though the dance is part of the 2020-2021 College Basketball year, it feels like a restart or a new season on its own

Good luck to all of the participants!

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
We have our first upset of the tournament as Oral Roberts, the 15th seed in the south defeats the 2nd seed Ohio State in OT.