Author Topic: College Hoops 2020-2021  (Read 9441 times)

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: College Hoops 2020-2021
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2021, 12:15:29 AM »
If you had told me one semi-final game would go to OT and be won on a buzzer beater and the other one would be won by 20 points, I would have believed you. But not like that. Wowsers, what a game UCLA-Gonzaga was!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: College Hoops 2020-2021
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 12:46:58 AM »
If you had told me one semi-final game would go to OT and be won on a buzzer beater and the other one would be won by 20 points, I would have believed you. But not like that. Wowsers, what a game UCLA-Gonzaga was!

If you had told me the OT buzzer-beater winner would crush the other team that crushed its semi-final foe, I would've believed you.

Going into the game, either team was capable of beating the other.  Baylor was one of those teams that had the tools to knock off Gonzaga.  It happened, and it wasn't a shocker if you've studied or followed sports forever.  It would also have been ridiculous to go with the Bears if you had Gonzaga winning.  Prediction-hedging is no fun (unless there's a guaranteed profit).

Despite the difficulty Baylor possessed toward Gonzaga, you would figure that they'd find a way to win.  The same was the case for Florida State against Auburn in the 2014 BCS National Championship.  Even though the game was not close, it was still worth the watch.  Anyone else and I'm turning the TV off, but if there's anyone that could overcome a deficit, Gonzaga is that team (they had a decent first half close).  It just didn't happen (didn't help Suggs ran into super early foul trouble).

Congrats to Baylor.  The 37th team to win the Men's Division I NCAA National Championship!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck