Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356431 times)

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1170 on: October 05, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »
I have to say, I'm impressed with what Fremantle/ViacomCBS were able to accomplish with this channel. Based on the fact that they "converted" 400 hour-long episodes in a year when other Pluto channels have nowhere near that and Buzzr's only converted 400 hours of Match Game and maybe Supermarket Sweep - around 300 half hour episodes of most the other shows (after 6 years). Hopefully it's been lucrative for the powers that be. And if so, a lesson to other content owners (ahem, Sony) that it can be a viable option to monetize their library.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
I caught an episode last night before bed. I know that we are back to the beginning of the cycle again so it's 1982. One of the showcases had a trip to London and Jan molded it from the turntable by the contestants. Was it common for small trip skins to be on the turntable and how long was that a practice? Honestly, the only other time I remember seeing one on a turntable was the first IUFB on the 25th Anniversary Special, a trip to Hawaii modeled by Jan.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1172 on: October 08, 2021, 10:01:29 AM »
That was done frequently in the showcases through the early 80s but I couldn’t tell you when exactly it stopped.

Offline C8

« Reply #1173 on: October 16, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »
Now that we’re back in the Holly hiatus I have to say its incredible, if not laughable, the lengths they went to make the substitute models look like Holly. Some of the wigs worn by these models are….questionable.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1174 on: October 18, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
A couple of changes that got missed during the first watch-through, as per panonni1 on the discord:

Range Game got it's lighter green revamp on 5235D
Five Price Tags lost the shelves from Most Expensive on 5241D

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1175 on: October 18, 2021, 11:21:49 PM »
which substitute model wore wigs to look like Holly and which ones didn't? I wonder if Stan Blitz can offer any information on the Substitute model's filling in during Holly's Temporary leave and how well they worked with Janice and Dian. Kyle did an excellent job.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1176 on: October 20, 2021, 12:38:46 PM »
I do know that off all the models, the next-to-last one (not Gina) had the most Holly-like appearance to the point that I confused it for her when I saw that Bullseye playing from 5241D pre-Pluto.

3 AM Eastern/Midnight Pacific on Bob's Birthday (December 12th) will be three complete cycles after the next one begins late tomorrow night, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next drop happens then, considering its about 3 1/2 months after the 300s dropped, similar to the length between Pluto #101, Pluto #201, and Pluto #301 in terms of its first airing. Like what they did last time, air about 25-35 episodes, and then after cycling back again, do a special Christmas marathon on 12/24 and/or 12/25 and air, in addition to Christmas Week 1984, air the 1982 and 1983 Christmas weeks, perhaps a total of three times before picking up again and then airing the next episodes to air around New Year's, including the first 1985 episodes.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1177 on: October 31, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »
Anyone else having problems with loading the channel on a computer? For me it just displays the channel logo and never loads. Oddly, and annoyingly, every other channel on Pluto loads just fine; it's only the TPiR channel, and only on desktop--I can still watch on my phone. But I'd rather have it on the big screen if I could...

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1178 on: October 31, 2021, 12:06:00 PM »
I just clicked the PlutoTV channel for TPIR just now.  Works well on my side.  I view it in Firefox.

Offline Blissey

« Reply #1179 on: November 04, 2021, 10:03:26 AM »
Starting December 1st, The Barker Era will no longer be a Pluto TV-exclusive channel--Cord Cutters News is reporting that Fremantle has reached a deal with video rental company Redbox to have three Fremantle-branded channels (including The Barker Era) come to Redbox's Free Live TV service.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/redbox-will-add-3-new-channels-in-content-deal-with-freemantle/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1180 on: November 04, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »
Great news!  Pretty neat that the start date is one year removed from the launch of the Barker Era on Pluto.

Just speculation, and it may have been mentioned elsewhere: I guess this could coincide with Pluto dropping some of the first 100 or 200 shows that aired a ton over the past year.  That way, whenever they get to 500 or 600 in the rotation, it won't take too long (for instance, if you miss an episode, you'd have to wait about a month before it airs again)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #1181 on: November 15, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
Any idea why Pluto won't be airing it anymore?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1182 on: November 15, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »
As far as I know, Pluto is still airing the show as normal.  It's just that it's not as exclusive.  With the rotation growing, it gives people an opportunity to see episodes they might have missed without waiting a month (really close to 2 and a half week as of November 15th, 2021 but soon to be close to 3 weeks)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline bduddy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1183 on: November 18, 2021, 04:02:12 PM »
Great news!  Pretty neat that the start date is one year removed from the launch of the Barker Era on Pluto.

Just speculation, and it may have been mentioned elsewhere: I guess this could coincide with Pluto dropping some of the first 100 or 200 shows that aired a ton over the past year.  That way, whenever they get to 500 or 600 in the rotation, it won't take too long (for instance, if you miss an episode, you'd have to wait about a month before it airs again)
That makes no sense whatsoever, people watch television to see different content, not to see a particular episode more than once a month.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #1184 on: November 21, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »
Hi. Anyone know who is this young lady sitting right behind the contestants row on the right at the end?  She has short brown hair wearing nice outfits. Maybe she's the relative or friend of the crew cause she's on almost every episode in the 1983-4 season. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!