Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 364206 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1590 on: December 07, 2023, 11:31:46 PM »
I have to disagree here.  While I have no idea how long or how often they're going to show the tribute, my guess ranges from next week into the new year.

If I had to bet, I would not.  You have to remember that not everybody has the time to get to Pluto or Roku or whatever to catch the special.  So I feel that they'll run it beyond Bob's 100th anniversary of his birth, maybe on occasion in December, and then in January before doing away with it.

It may be old for people that frequent the channel a lot, but there are several that didn't get a chance to see the special in August, and haven't made time to see it this month
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1591 on: December 08, 2023, 10:18:30 AM »
I have to disagree here.  While I have no idea how long or how often they're going to show the tribute, my guess ranges from next week into the new year.

If I had to bet, I would not.  You have to remember that not everybody has the time to get to Pluto or Roku or whatever to catch the special.  So I feel that they'll run it beyond Bob's 100th anniversary of his birth, maybe on occasion in December, and then in January before doing away with it.

It may be old for people that frequent the channel a lot, but there are several that didn't get a chance to see the special in August, and haven't made time to see it this month

Fair point! Thanks for sharing.

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1592 on: December 15, 2023, 08:06:49 PM »
Did they just skip half of S1 or was I just lost in where we were in the airing order of the 72 eps? We're suddenly on the debut of Hi-Lo which is April.

On that note, what clunky rules it started with. Definitely could lead to some confusing and anti-climatic losses. Glad they went to selecting the hi row only.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 08:16:32 PM by C8 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1593 on: December 16, 2023, 12:49:04 AM »
As far as we know, most but not all of what they've skipped is fur episodes.  GSN apparently got through the airable portions of Seasons 1-3 in about seven or eight months, so that idea seems to check out.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #1594 on: December 16, 2023, 01:04:07 AM »
There are some skips that aren't fur episodes. 0044D comes to mind, but there are quite a few other known non-fur skips.

They are as follows:
0043D
0044D
0053D
0083D
0084D
0085D
0092D
0093D
0102D
0103D
0105D
0112D
0113D
0114D
0123D
0133D

Not sure why they were skipped, especially 0044D as that was on the DVD set, but they were.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 01:42:09 PM by SteveGavazzi »
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1595 on: December 22, 2023, 07:10:29 PM »
Could some of the skips be due to videotape decay rendering parts of the episodes unairable?

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1596 on: January 01, 2024, 10:00:50 AM »
0114D had a fur coat that slipped through GSN's content screeners (pictured) and shouldn't have aired THEN, so the reason why it was skipped on Pluto's passthrough is very obvious.

I have GSN copies of at least 4 other episodes (0043D, 0112D, 0145D, 0444D) that GSN ran in '97 that didn't air on Pluto. No issues on GSN's tapes from 25+ years ago at the time, and no content issues. 0112D is kind of a trainwreck, even by the standards of the technician strike, but I wouldn't think that would be an automatic DQ.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #1597 on: January 01, 2024, 04:18:46 PM »
0114D had a fur coat that slipped through GSN's content screeners (pictured) and shouldn't have aired THEN
Of particular interest is that it appears to have slipped past the content screeners twice. See the below video at the 8:39 mark:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 09:03:27 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1598 on: January 02, 2024, 09:17:20 PM »
0114D had a fur coat that slipped through GSN's content screeners (pictured) and shouldn't have aired THEN, so the reason why it was skipped on Pluto's passthrough is very obvious.

I have GSN copies of at least 4 other episodes (0043D, 0112D, 0145D, 0444D) that GSN ran in '97 that didn't air on Pluto. No issues on GSN's tapes from 25+ years ago at the time, and no content issues. 0112D is kind of a trainwreck, even by the standards of the technician strike, but I wouldn't think that would be an automatic DQ.

I did noticed at least one episode that ran during the stream had bad Digibeta dropouts during the opening segment. I think it was 0455D it was on the 2008 DVD set and did not have issues on there. It's just possible that the tapes got damaged at some point. The half-hour shows I'm assuming were transferred three to a tape and it's likely they skipped episodes with significant issues with the first episode on the tape. It does appear that most of the non-furs skips were companion episodes (0043D, 0044D) (0083D, 0084D, 0085D etc.).

Of particular interest is that it appears to have slipped past the content screeners twice.

I'm assuming that since it was accidentally cleared for broadcast they didn't bothered with pulling it after they briefly looped back around to the earlier episodes.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1599 on: January 11, 2024, 09:33:07 AM »
Anyone care to speculate on when we'll get a new batch of episodes from PlutoTV?

While I enjoyed the first-season shows they recently unearthed, IMHO it's time for them to get out of the 1982-85 cycle that they've been showing for three-plus years and give us something else.

Still hoping that some 1975-1982 episodes see the light of day on there...

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1600 on: January 11, 2024, 10:24:58 AM »
Anyone care to speculate on when we'll get a new batch of episodes from PlutoTV?

While I enjoyed the first-season shows they recently unearthed, IMHO it's time for them to get out of the 1982-85 cycle that they've been showing for three-plus years and give us something else.

Agreed, but I speculate the new age problem of "enough content to appear various" rather than unearthing all content available is at play here.  For the average Pluto TV viewer, who would tune in every now or then and not be paying attention much to what they've run, they've got enough episodes they cycle through to always appear to be showing a different episode.  Why spend money digitizing more tapes if they don't have to?

The answer is that the goal of this channel should be to make absolutely every episode of The Price Is Right available to people.  There should be such a love for the content and what this channel can accomplish that they want to showcase everything.  As long as they can turn a profit in the process (and clearly they are since the channel's still going after three-plus years), why not run absolutely every single episode you can?

Still hoping that some 1975-1982 episodes see the light of day on there...

Agreed, and "The Price Is Right: The James Years" has a nice ring to it too.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1601 on: January 12, 2024, 08:08:31 PM »
Very interesting post just now to the channel's X and Facebook accounts. I'm an old fart and couldn't figure out how to link it here properly, but it's easy enough to find...

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #1602 on: January 12, 2024, 09:38:43 PM »
Here's the post. It's nothing. It's a stupid trend where people say something along the lines "had to gatekeep this song" and then block out the name and artist but not the album art so that it's stupidly obvious what the song actually is. I wouldn't read anything into it.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1603 on: January 13, 2024, 10:19:54 AM »
I see, my bad. Like I said, I'm old and don't keep up with what the kids these days are doing...

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #1604 on: January 13, 2024, 02:49:39 PM »
Agreed, and "The Price Is Right: The James Years" has a nice ring to it too.

I know it is very unlikely, but I would dearly love to see somewhere some James episodes beyond what is available on YouTube. I was as big a fan of Dennis as a child as I was Bob.