Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 42065 times)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
  • The contestant must win, must always win.
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #690 on: January 11, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
Majority of the late '70s era aren't seen again after their original broadcast because of the fur prizes awarded. We know it's all part of television history, but we all know it would be up to Fremantle whether they'd let several platforms to reair the episodes after the time Bob would leave us, so the best thing you could do, just like most of us Price fans, is to wait.

EDIT: Mods, wrong thread posted... My apologies.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »
[things I want and will never get]
Jesus, dude.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
Does Pluto TV put in new commercials in their TPIR reruns, just curious. I know the commercial breaks in the studio master copies of TPIR after 1975 were pretty much just blank spaces, although some studio masters of TPIR from 9/4/72 to 1975 do contain their original commercials, including the 9/4/72 studio master.
There was a time when commercials were edited directly onto the air two-inch quadruplex videotapes. This might explain why copies of some "studio master" episodes in circulation contain original commercials. By the mid- or late 1970s, CBS played the spots outboard on Ampex ACR-25 VTRs.

I wonder how long it takes for Pluto TV to digitize a set of Price Is Right Barker-era episodes (100 at a time) and prepare them for viewing? Do they have to do the clean-up and restorations? Or has CBS/Fremantle already done that before giving them to Pluto TV?
The "digitizing" occurred during the early 1990s when Goodson Productions hired CBS to archive its library of shows from two-inch and one-inch videotape formats to Digital Betacam videotapes. Digital Betacam is a standard definition, high quality tape format that was popular in professional television at the time. To present shows from these tapes on the Internet (Pluto TV), the digital content on them has to be transcoded to computer files. I am unsure how much time and effort are necessary for this step, but it is not inconsequential. Each Digital Betacam tape would need to be played in real time on a deck that its connected with a signal transcoder and computer. And before the content could be shown, someone would need to screen it, make any needed trims or edits, and mark the in and out points of each segment.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2021, 10:10:07 PM »
because of this we can't see finish line shower game telephone game early playings of cliffhangers punch a bunch penny ante and pre green section showcase showdown if I wanted to buy a episode with a fur from freemantle I'll cite this episode might have a fur and can't be reran on tv and your the only one I can turn to

Holy good Lord, dude.

If you want to continue contributing here, you're going to need to stop whining, and you're going to need to start speaking in complete sentences.  The rest of the folks here don't need to be subjected to this.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
because of this we can't see finish line shower game telephone game early playings of cliffhangers punch a bunch penny ante and pre green section showcase showdown if I wanted to buy a episode with a fur from freemantle I'll cite this episode might have a fur and can't be reran on tv and your the only one I can turn to

Huh?

Brian

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #695 on: January 14, 2021, 07:07:52 PM »
My reason is much more simple and direct: For every episode that included a game/Showcase played for a fur, there were contestants including the ones who played for the fur who competed on the show.

Plain and simple.

Brian

Two words:  Showcase Skits.  That's reason enough to re-air the 1970s episodes, along with everything else Brian mentioned.

Watching these 1982 episodes on Pluto, I realize that time has played tricks on my memory.  The showcases aren't nearly as fun or inventive as I remembered.  That's because, by and large, the really creative and clever showcases aired in the mid- to late-1970s, when Jay Wolpert was producing the show. 

Johnny's Schoolhouse ... Flaky Flicks ... lots of elaborate movie and TV send-ups ... I'm really wanting to see these showcase skits again, and I hope a fur ban doesn't mean I'll never get to.

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #696 on: January 14, 2021, 09:49:20 PM »
Definitely agreed on that. I saw a Flash Gordon parody showcase on Facebook with Anitra Ford and there was much more to it than the showcases on these Pluto episodes.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
I just saw something I had never noticed before...

Look at the screen-right side of Secret X. There's a second container holding additional Xs! How long was that over there?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Please maintain 6 feet distance.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
That same episode also gave me an answer to something I had long wondered about.

In the Television City scenic shop area, up high on one of the walls is/was a replica of the portraits at The Brown Derby. I took a picture of it in 2010 and wondered what it had originally been used for. Turns out it was part of a season 11 showcase in which one of the prizes was dinner at The Brown Derby.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Please maintain 6 feet distance.

Offline JhayPrice

• The contestant must win, must always win.
« Reply #699 on: January 15, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
When did they stop the practice of Bob giving the contestant the $7 bills before the introduction of the car? I only saw around 2-3 early playing with that until around '74 because the game was already played frequently.

Offline BDE

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #700 on: January 19, 2021, 02:28:39 PM »
Will Pluto TV also air the 1986 summer TPIR primetime specials? I know Game Show Network aired them in the past.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2021, 02:31:29 PM »
If they decide to stream them, they will. We don't know what they're going to be showing beyond the current episode cycle right now.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #702 on: January 19, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
The 1986 specials are all of Youtube for anyone who wants to see them

Offline ABBA

« Reply #703 on: Yesterday at 01:23:51 AM »
When in the next chance for new episodes on Pluto?

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #704 on: Yesterday at 03:05:04 PM »
At 3 PM Eastern on 1/20, the rotation looped back to 4581D.