Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356500 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« on: November 30, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
https://www.vulture.com/2020/11/classic-the-price-is-right-episodes-streaming-pluto-tv.html?fbclid=IwAR1BglLEmQSwAjRffuHHiT2Z80-VTsEFpwoM8YoDLZkmFFi9WNfM1L_Re30

Well that came out of nowhere, although I had heard rumors this was coming a few months back, but nothing recent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:26:09 PM by Wayoshi »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
Just seeing this on their official twitter....(that sprung up fast), looks like the Fur Ban is still in effect if this is to be read correctly. It's a start though.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 02:23:55 PM »
Disappointing that nothing prior to ‘82 will be seen. If I had to guess, based on how Buzzr TV works, this probably won’t be an endless loop of every episode from ‘82 on, because of the time it takes to digitize episodes, clean them up, edit out music cues or anything else that can’t air, it’s likely that they’ll be dumped in monthly or periodic batches, like 30 or 60 at a time that will just rotate in a cycle for a month until they have the next batch ready, etc.

Hopefully Freemantle doesn’t decide to crack down on Youtube uploads because of this, because obviously there’s going to be a lot of noteworthy episodes or moments we’re all going to want to see, but none of use are going to be able to keep this running 24/7.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »
Can I make a request-

Can we not complain about the years they're not airing and be happy for at least a little while? Reruns of Barker era episodes haven't been on in 20+ years.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Disappointing that nothing prior to ‘82 will be seen. If I had to guess, based on how Buzzr TV works, this probably won’t be an endless loop of every episode from ‘82 on, because of the time it takes to digitize episodes, clean them up, edit out music cues or anything else that can’t air, it’s likely that they’ll be dumped in monthly or periodic batches, like 30 or 60 at a time that will just rotate in a cycle for a month until they have the next batch ready, etc.

Hopefully Freemantle doesn’t decide to crack down on Youtube uploads because of this, because obviously there’s going to be a lot of noteworthy episodes or moments we’re all going to want to see, but none of use are going to be able to keep this running 24/7.

Yeah and they've already said they are gonna do themes (like Christmas themed shows for example) around what they run, so what you say makes sense on that level at least. Will be interesting to see though. And I hope they don't either, especially considering the fact some of the episodes there now are ones that otherwise won't see air because of the furs in them, let alone ones older than 82 as well in addition. To lose those would be a major major loss, as who knows if or when they'll ever be made available again. Let's hope such a loss doesn't happen.

Offline Hastin

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
Very excited to have this on as background content while I work. Can't wait to see some retired games, different eras, and just some vintage TPiR goodness.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
Can I make a request-

Can we not complain about the years they're not airing and be happy for at least a little while? Reruns of Barker era episodes haven't been on in 20+ years.

I mean, it's great they are getting reshown in some capacity, no question about that, just a little disappointing they seemingly aren't running a pretty significant part of the show's history in any capacity. Even GSN ran non fur shows from the first decade when they had it, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. But I suppose time will tell just what they decide to do. Will be interesting to see.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »
Good grief. We finally get classic episodes airing again, something we've been wanting ever since GSN axed them, and y'all are still not happy. Be grateful we are getting them at all.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
Get ready for a ravaging of YouTube channels.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
I’m absolutely thrilled that we’re getting this, people have been asking for Bob repeats for a long time. Yeah, so maybe we still have to wait on seeing the elusive second appearance of Professor Price or whatever, but who cares? This is still great, when these shows aired on GSN 20+ years ago, a lot of them weren’t recorded or documented, so they’ll be new again for most of us.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »
Recappers get ready  :lol:
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 03:58:45 PM »
Good grief. We finally get classic episodes airing again, something we've been wanting ever since GSN axed them, and y'all are still not happy. Be grateful we are getting them at all.

I can't speak for anyone, but the only thing that would be a cause for concern is if YouTube uploads of TPIR have to be taken down due to 24/7 Barker-era episodes, as mentioned.  I don't know; I'm not upset at all about reruns to Pluto being limited to 1982 and beyond, but I've been used to no Price on GSN for a long time.  It is a blessing that Fremantle hasn't given people a hard time with having classic PIR on YouTube (I think Sony has an issue with past Jeopardy episodes on YouTube for whatever reason).  It is rather nice to go to YouTube to watch a classic episode every once in awhile, so if I'm not excited about this news, that is why (if Fremantle bans episodes being on YouTube).

Apologies for "whining" about that; if it happens, that would suck, I agree, but I guess I shouldn't worry about something that might not happen or that hasn't happened yet
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Can I make a request-

No harm in letting your feelings be known. Heck, maybe if enough people say something they might break out some of the older episodes. I would personally love to see more episodes from around the late 70s that have never been rerun.

That having been said it certainly doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Price reruns with Bob being shown in ANY form! 😃
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:29:51 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
No harm in letting your feelings be known. Heck, maybe if enough people say something they might break out dome of the older episodes. I would personally love to see more episodes from around the late 70s that have never been rerun.

I sorta wonder as well......given this being the case now....when the time were to come where Barker passed away whenever that is to happen, do you think even then any fur era shows will be reran? Specifically of course the unaired ones/ones that had furs moreso than ones that did not. I'd hope at some point that might get lifted, but it's hard to say for sure.

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
Does anyone know exactly what time the channel will be debuting? According to the YouTube video linked below, it will be on Channel 163.