Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356429 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »
I would guess that we’ll eventually get the fur episodes when Bob is no longer with us, even if they air them with a disclaimer similar to what is done with culturally insensitive cartoons from the 30’s and 40’s. Worst case scenario, edit out any segment featuring fur stuff, it would be awkward to do that, but I’d rather see those episodes edited than not at all.

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
Does anyone know exactly what time the channel will be debuting? According to the YouTube video linked below, it will be on Channel 163.

The official YouTube channel replied to a comment asking what time. They said 12AM on December 1st. They did not specify if that's eastern time though.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
I mean, it's great they are getting reshown in some capacity, no question about that, just a little disappointing they seemingly aren't running a pretty significant part of the show's history in any capacity. Even GSN ran non fur shows from the first decade when they had it, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here. But I suppose time will tell just what they decide to do. Will be interesting to see.
While the first decade is a significant part of the show's history full of them finding their footing, converting to an hour, and creating a base foundation for games, many of which still exist to this day, I'd argue that this next decade of the show is just as significant a part of the show's history. While they were gaining their footing, this stretch is when they rose to the top of the crop in daytime. They rose to #1 in game shows (and eventually #1 in daytime) and they had fun doing it. The chemistry between Bob, Johnny, Janice, Dian, Holly, and eventually Rod and Kathleen, made the show during this period more of a party than it had ever been. If the show doesn't reach this apex in the 80s, while it might still exist in the 90s, it doesn't become cemented as an American institution.

There are still plenty of unconfirmed and unrecapped shows from this particular era even though a good chunk did air on GSN at one point, so it'll will be nice to fill in blanks. Also, just like when Sale of the Century started being rerun on GSN, it'll be nice to see the shows in broadcast, non-VHS, and non-WinTV quality.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 07:31:59 PM »
The official YouTube channel replied to a comment asking what time. They said 12AM on December 1st. They did not specify if that's eastern time though.

Its 12am EST

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
While the first decade is a significant part of the show's history full of them finding their footing, converting to an hour, and creating a base foundation for games, many of which still exist to this day, I'd argue that this next decade of the show is just as significant a part of the show's history. While they were gaining their footing, this stretch is when they rose to the top of the crop in daytime. They rose to #1 in game shows (and eventually #1 in daytime) and they had fun doing it. The chemistry between Bob, Johnny, Janice, Dian, Holly, and eventually Rod and Kathleen, made the show during this period more of a party than it had ever been. If the show doesn't reach this apex in the 80s, while it might still exist in the 90s, it doesn't become cemented as an American institution.

There are still plenty of unconfirmed and unrecapped shows from this particular era even though a good chunk did air on GSN at one point, so it'll will be nice to fill in blanks. Also, just like when Sale of the Century started being rerun on GSN, it'll be nice to see the shows in broadcast, non-VHS, and non-WinTV quality.

Yeah I mean I get that, but still a big part of the show's lineage to leave out. But I see your point, this was the golden era for the show pretty much. I wonder if they start from the Season 11 premiere, that one doesn't exist on YouTube at present nor do any shows from that first week, earliest I found was September 14th, or the Tuesday show of week 2. I also wonder if unlike the GSN airings, they will keep the ticket and CNAOS plugs in before each Showcase Showdown. Those would be really fun to see, with those not shown at all since they first aired or were reran in the Summer of their respective years.

Offline CaseyBuck

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:44 PM »
Wow, this is a huge get! What took so damn long? :P

I'm not surprised that they're skipping the pre-1982 episodes, as they would have to painstakingly cherry-pick out any episodes that don't have furs, a process that took GSN a long time to do (which is why they didn't air TPiR until late 1996).

It'll be cool when they get to the latter half of Season 12, since that's where GSN stopped when they lost the rights in April 2000.

Note that PlutoTV's parent company is ViacomCBS, so this is still within the CBS family. I bet that Les Moonves's departure likely allowed this to finally happen.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
To quote the current Five Below campaign: Yes! .... Yes! .... YES!

Regarding potential takedowns, I'd only be concerned about uploading what they've posted at this point, given that BUZZR isn't going after any shows that aired on older platforms (GSN, USA, original broadcasts). In fact, Sony seems to have gotten a bit lax with Wheel as of late, unlike Jeopardy! which is known even to be removed on platforms like Dailymotion. At least its not ABC soaps since recently, I had two accounts taken down from Disney about two soaps that haven't been seen perhaps since their original broadcasts in the 1980s/90s: All My Children and One Life To Live.

I'm especially looking forward towards episodes from the 1984-1990 period since with the exception of the 1986 portion of Season 15, few episodes from the period were rerun by GSN. There were a lot more playings of games like Golden Road and 3 Strikes (both for four and five digit cars) in those days in addition to rather obscure retired ones like Walk of Fame, On The Nose and Add Em Up. We'd also look forward to things like Johnny's last episode, interim period between his passing and Rod Roddy's, the short-lived musical cues from the 1983 package before being phased out, and even many of the set changes that took place among certain games like Lucky Seven, Golden Road, and Danger Price. I'm certainly going to check these out!
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
To quote the current Five Below campaign: Yes! .... Yes! .... YES!

Regarding potential takedowns, I'd only be concerned about uploading what they've posted at this point, given that BUZZR isn't going after any shows that aired on older platforms (GSN, USA, original broadcasts). In fact, Sony seems to have gotten a bit lax with Wheel as of late, unlike Jeopardy! which is known even to be removed on platforms like Dailymotion. At least its not ABC soaps since recently, I had two accounts taken down from Disney about two soaps that haven't been seen perhaps since their original broadcasts in the 1980s/90s: All My Children and One Life To Live.

I'm especially looking forward towards episodes from the 1984-1990 period since with the exception of the 1986 portion of Season 15, few episodes from the period were rerun by GSN. There were a lot more playings of games like Golden Road and 3 Strikes (both for four and five digit cars) in those days in addition to rather obscure retired ones like Walk of Fame, On The Nose and Add Em Up. We'd also look forward to things like Johnny's last episode, interim period between his passing and Rod Roddy's, the short-lived musical cues from the 1983 package before being phased out, and even many of the set changes that took place among certain games like Lucky Seven, Golden Road, and Danger Price. I'm certainly going to check these out!

I forgot about Johnny's last show....I've been wanting to see that FOREVER, glad you mentioned that. That'll definitely be one to watch out for. Also as an aside on Jeopardy, if you or others alike don't know, archive.org has a TON of old shows uploaded to it dating back to 1984. So if you are looking to get a fix of that, can find it there with a quick video search.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
I'm not surprised that they're skipping the pre-1982 episodes, as they would have to painstakingly cherry-pick out any episodes that don't have furs, a process that took GSN a long time to do (which is why they didn't air TPiR until late 1996).
You'd think that documentation from that cherry-picking would still exist somewhere, thus making the job easier to do now than it was then (like, a "master list" of fur/non-fur shows).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
If anyone is interested.....the official Facebook Page for the channel posted the opening segment to one of the episodes they are to air (was also featured in the promo, you should recognize the woman who plays Lucky Seven here, unfortunately not quite wisely however ultimately), with a Code number given in comments of #4581. Whether they start with this episode or not remains to be seen (I could see them doing it if they are posting this clip from it ahead of the channel launch, but shall see). Worth watching anyway to whet your appetites a little bit.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=112691210657301&id=103877634871992&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=entry_point&player_format=permalink&anchor_composer=false

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at the FAQ, Show #4581 is the first show of the 2nd week of Season 11 with an airdate of September 13th, so it could be they are indeed starting there. Why they'd be omitting the premiere week I don't know, tape damage perhaps? I can't imagine any furs were offered there, since it's been established Season 11 began the non-fur era, but would be kind of a curious decision if they are indeed skipping over it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:56:41 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 11:01:47 PM »
I'm actually very surprised they're going back to the 80s for the episodes. When there were rumors of Barker era Price possibly coming to Pluto I really thought it was going to be just the more recent seasons. Quite understandable they're not going to air seasons that had furs as prizes, getting 80s episodes is more than enough of a treat.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 12:06:09 AM »
So it's 12am eastern......December 1st and I don't see a channel launched yet? Did I miss something?

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »
So it's 12am eastern......December 1st and I don't see a channel launched yet? Did I miss something?

Try refreshing.  It showed up for me a few minutes after 11pm CT.

Offline CaseyBuck

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 12:11:59 AM »
It's up!

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/tpir-the-barker-era

EDIT: There's a transparent "Plinko chip" as the lower-right corner bug. Cute! Also, playing right now appears to be #4583D.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:19:13 AM by CaseyBuck »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 12:21:59 AM »
It's up!

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/tpir-the-barker-era

EDIT: There's a transparent "Plinko chip" as the lower-right corner bug. Cute! Also, playing right now appears to be #4583D.

Bookmarked this, thank you, and to tpirguyMN too. Interesting they are starting middle of week 2...must be no particular order they're going in. The original article did mention memorable moments/contestants and shows being featured....so that would make sense.