Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361199 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
Of Season 11? Good question, might be just episodes they are to air, and more because of specific segments they've singled out for use on their social media. That'd make sense. I do hope they create an on demand channel for the shows at some point as they get further into the run. I'd wonder if they would plan that at some point, I know some have wanted something like that for years and years since they began streaming/archiving the regular show online.

Not just, Season 11 but every season in the Barker era, especially if the plan is to air those over time.  Based on the current pattern, that might take a while.  Not too bitter about Season 11-12.  GSN was "kind enough to air them weekday morning, but that was over 21 years ago.  Those were some great days!

I hope it's not for a long time as well, urbanpreppie.  It is possible, but I think unlikely.  Family Feud still has full episodes so that may be a sign
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
Not just, Season 11 but every season in the Barker era, especially if the plan is to air those over time.  Based on the current pattern, that might take a while.  Not too bitter about Season 11-12.  GSN was "kind enough to air them weekday morning, but that was over 21 years ago.  Those were some great days!

I hope it's not for a long time as well, urbanpreppie.  It is possible, but I think unlikely.  Family Feud still has full episodes so that may be a sign

What does Feud have to do with this topic? Curious.

And I was actually thinking.....with roughly 190-200 shows a year in Barker era going from Season 11 onward (and by the end 175 typically), and 6 shows a day aired, assuming no major repeat cycles along the way...it'd take just over a month to get through each season and slightly less so by the end. So it would take them just over 2 years at 25 months to get through everything before they'd have to start over. I'm still wondering incidentally why they skipped over the 1st week of Season 11, I find that really odd. I posed the question to their Twitter account, but got no response.

Also on this......with the volume of content, at some even from Season 11 onward about 4700 episodes, I would wonder if they may at some point do what GSN did and run various eras at different times, vs. going straight through strictly. Give a little something for every audience that way. But time will tell I suppose.

Another interesting thing when they come up (which wouldn't be till Season 12 now unless I forgot something), would be the handling of the lone half hour episodes in years CBS aired the Bake-Off (or if they get to the first 10 years, the Magazine prompted shows). Assuming they kept this 6 hour/6 show block running consistently, how would they handle that? Run the episode twice back to back to fill an hour? Skip it altogether? I guess thinking on it, the cycle would still end cleanly with it running 4 times.....just the times would be a little off for the 1st and 3rd ones....so it could work...but still be interesting to see what they'd do with those.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:32:19 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »
What does Feud have to do with this topic? Curious.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I brought that up based on earlier comments on whether Fremantle would pull YouTube Price uploads from the show, when they haven't done that with several of their other shows.

Back to the topic, I was thinking about episodes on Pluto emulating what GSN did in the past.  Instead of the current cycle maybe one day run the Early 80s episodes, then the next day late 80s, then early 90s and so on.  We're a long way from that, but I could see them taking that step one at a time in about six months from now
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
Is this channel available on Samsung TV Plus?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
I checked. Unfortunately, no. I watched a little bit of it online, and I haven’t seen the Barker episodes look this beautiful (as I was a toddler when Bob retired). While Drew is worthy, nothing beats the OG episodes.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
I love this so much! Been watching this all day!  :-D

I only wish the footage was in 60 FPS instead of 30 so it could really be like watching it on TV, but I don't think any live action shows on Pluto are shown in 60 FPS.

I like that the show has proper closed captioning, not like the current show where it's captioned like a sporting event. There are some oddities about it, though. The indication of the bell varies from (bell dings) to (ding) to (triangle tings). Audience groans are shown as "Awe.", and in one of the episodes from today, Bob saying "Contestants' Row" was shown as "contestant's role". I do like that the captions put what the majority of the audience shouts when there's an audible consensus, instead of just always putting (audience yelling suggestions) like the current show.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »
^Yeah, the quality on the CC appears to vary per episode. Sometimes, it is super accurate, and is useful to get the surnames of people called on down. Other times...

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
Is Bob Parker at all related to Alex Trebel?  :D

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
For me, especially starting with S37, they mad a conscious choice to delve into tge “Fernando” mode of TPiR production making looking good more important than feeling good
And I haven’t felt this good in years.  Even though these episodes are 38 years old, even though the audience seems comatose at times, even though you notice Bob “rushing” (wait to time the “skit showcase” coming), even though you see the chips/smudges, this is not as important as hearing JO shout “a new car”.  It’s not as important as being able to say “Hi” to the beauties (I guarantee I ain’t the only one).

Whoever “curated” which episodes to digitize first, you have done a fabulous job.  I have found each and every “easter egg”.  Could be the playing of a specific pricing game, could be the way the game was won or lost, could be the contestant him/herself.  I don’t care.

I just know it will be fantastic to watch it unravel before my eyes.  Point is:  I’m feeling good.

Edit:  Superball without MGGS?!?! 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:05:53 PM by FPGWillyT »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
For me, especially starting with S37, they mad a conscious choice to delve into tge “Fernando” mode of TPiR production making looking good more important than feeling good
And I haven’t felt this good in years.  Even though these episodes are 38 years old, even though the audience seems comatose at times, even though you notice Bob “rushing” (wait to time the “skit showcase” coming), even though you see the chips/smudges, this is not as important as hearing JO shout “a new car”.  It’s not as important as being able to say “Hi” to the beauties (I guarantee I ain’t the only one).

You know a thought occurred to me, with some 3 seasons and change before JO's last show/death....it might be jarring seeing that come up again in time, even knowing its' coming. Will be so used to him by then.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2020, 09:10:08 PM »
We're up to 4602D now, also new to Pluto. For those who don't know, an episode highlighted in gray on the tpirstats.com calendars like this one indicates that the games listed are not confirmed to be in order as shown. In fact, every game listed as of this post is out of order from what was actually played.

Right now the gray shaded dates for September 1982 are September 6-10, 28 and 30.  Hopefully there will be less and less gray shades dates in the near future.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
Another interesting thing when they come up (which wouldn't be till Season 12 now unless I forgot something), would be the handling of the lone half hour episodes in years CBS aired the Bake-Off (or if they get to the first 10 years, the Magazine prompted shows). Assuming they kept this 6 hour/6 show block running consistently, how would they handle that?

My guess is they'll pair it up with another half-hour episode to keep the timing intact.

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »
Apologies if this was already mentioned, but (assuming it happens) I’m most excited to eventually see the Season 22 premiere, which as many of us know was not shown in 99% of the country and never re-aired.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2020, 12:30:22 AM »
My guess is they are saving the season 11 premiere week for around New Years Day.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »
My guess is they are saving the season 11 premiere week for around New Years Day.

Hmm....that would be interesting. I suppose could see why.