Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356334 times)

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
"Also I loved hearing the "whoop whoop whoop" sound effect used for a Bonus Spin landing on one of the green sections! I had never seen that prior to just a few minutes

And it just kept right on going! I thought for sure a wrong key was hit and the WHOOP WHOOP would stop.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »
"Also I loved hearing the "whoop whoop whoop" sound effect used for a Bonus Spin landing on one of the green sections! I had never seen that prior to just a few minutes

And it just kept right on going! I thought for sure a wrong key was hit and the WHOOP WHOOP would stop.

I noticed on one episode last night, the winning dings at the end of the Showcases played right into the credit roll pretty much. I almost thought it would keep going after it began too before it stopped.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
...the credit roll...

Nice to see those again too!

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2020, 01:20:06 PM »
Keep in mind that $5,000 was a lot to win back in 1982 and that necessitated the whoop sound for a green section. This was also the day where Holly had appliance battle issues (and it happened again on 4744D).

I felt so bad for the Card Game player from 4604D to lose by so little ($4) and up until now I thought $5 was the closest loss I have seen in this game. This will go down in history as being one of the most painful losses in the game's history.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
Keep in mind that $5,000 was a lot to win back in 1982 and that necessitated the whoop sound for a green section. This was also the day where Holly had appliance battle issues (and it happened again on 4744D).

I felt so bad for the Card Game player from 4604D to lose by so little ($4) and up until now I thought $5 was the closest loss I have seen in this game. This will go down in history as being one of the most painful losses in the game's history.

I noticed Bob said $400 after that....thought maybe I misheard 1st time.

I'm gonna have to rewatch for the appliance battle......was in 2nd half right? Pluto went wonky on me during that part so missed much of it. Thanks for reminding me.

Sidenote, speaking of same episode, how often did it happen where Bob couldn't even read off the ARP difference of the winner in the Showcase? It can't have happened often, if really at all, but it did there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:11:10 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
During the episode that aired between 1-2pm eastern, during the 2nd SCSD 2 contestants tied with $1.00. During the bonus spin/spin off the wheel was not reset to the 5 for the second contestant's spin after the first contestant spun $1.00 again.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2020, 02:47:50 PM »
During the episode that aired between 1-2pm eastern, during the 2nd SCSD 2 contestants tied with $1.00. During the bonus spin/spin off the wheel was not reset to the 5 for the second contestant's spin after the first contestant spun $1.00 again.

Yeah that's been discussed a bit already. Wonder what they woulda done had it negatively impacted the 2nd spinner's spin/effected the outcome directly, assuming they'd have even noticed it happened, which given situations like the missied $1.00 in 1993 and the bonus spin/spinoff DQ in 2002, they may not have.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
It should be noted that the orange ball Bob received from someone was used for Hole in One twice. Once in the set of episodes aired/airing today (as is referenced in the FAQ), and once I think in the set yesterday.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »
That's illegal, immoral and probably contrary to the terms of your ISP and PlutoTV's terms of service at the same time.  I would not encourage this kind of behaviour.

Eh, you're violating the terms of service of PlutoTV. It's a civil breach of contract, not criminal copyright infringement.

Also, is there any immorality in sticking it to ViacomCBS?  :lol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
I've watched about a dozen or so episodes so far, it appears that the house minimums around this time were $300 for an  IUFB, $1000 for the total ARP for a pricing game, and $5000 for the Showcase. Just like on many home games and in other eras, if you keep watching/playing, you'll come up with the same products/prizes again, helping you to hone in better on your pricing skills like a good ol' LFaT. Just don't bring in a newspaper like an audience member near where Frances was called on down from 4611D was holding. It certainly didn't look like a staffer who may have used a newspaper for the GPs in Now... and Then.

PS My earliest personal memories were around Season 16 summer reruns where I could faintly recall some episodes with dark hair Bob, some with gray hair Bob with the pink Pricedown Big Wheel walls, and some with the then-new Super Ball-style Big Wheel walls. Since I was just a preschooler/kindergartener for the next three years, those reruns will still seem very fresh since I was still too young to really appreciate what was being offered, not to mention that very few episodes from the seasons in the high teens were ever rerun by GSN. I still have my personal notebook with a mock Check Game from 1990 that speaking of misspellings (check out 4611D again), I wrote VOID as "VOLD". Speaking of which, you'll also see that the VOID stamp was a lot stronger then compared to today where it seems like over half of each letter is missing.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »

They actually used the whoop (and clang) for special wins that wouldn't otherwise receive that later on.  For example, finding the master key in Master Key.

On a related note to $5000 wins being big back in the day, I wouldn't consider a $4 margin for a loss the most painful all time.  In this case, a close loss in 1982.  Cars, prize packages, and showcases weren't as expensive either, compared to later on.

To be clear, that totally sucked, but close defeats happened.  Today, missing the win by $4 for a car (or showcase) worth $25,000 or more would be brutal.  For me it would feel awful since that would be tough to do
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »
I've watched about a dozen or so episodes so far, it appears that the house minimums around this time were $300 for an  IUFB, $1000 for the total ARP for a pricing game, and $5000 for the Showcase. Just like on many home games and in other eras, if you keep watching/playing, you'll come up with the same products/prizes again, helping you to hone in better on your pricing skills like a good ol' LFaT. Just don't bring in a newspaper like an audience member near where Frances was called on down from 4611D was holding. It certainly didn't look like a staffer who may have used a newspaper for the GPs in Now... and Then.

PS My earliest personal memories were around Season 16 summer reruns where I could faintly recall some episodes with dark hair Bob, some with gray hair Bob with the pink Pricedown Big Wheel walls, and some with the then-new Super Ball-style Big Wheel walls. missing.

You know what's funny with this....hearing Bob comment on a guy's gray hair and liking it some 5 years before he went gray himself lol. That amused me. Also interesting/amusing too, is the number of aquarium appearances so far, particularly given furs were gone. I've counted at least 3 times one has shown up. When did those get phased out?

EDITED TO ADD: An appearance of the WGMC term in the repeat just now during Trader Bob. That was quite funny to see. There seems to be a multitude of interesting moments in every episode to be honest, be it a contestant or a situation. Says a lot about the era and the pacing for that matter.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:14:48 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »
You know what's funny with this....hearing Bob comment on a guy's gray hair and liking it some 5 years before he went gray himself lol. That amused me. Also interesting/amusing too, is the number of aquarium appearances so far, particularly given furs were gone. I've counted at least 3 times one has shown up. When did those get phased out?

Owning an aquarium doesn't require needlessly killing animals, as is the case with fur coats, so I can see why Bob wouldn't have cared about those as much at first...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2020, 05:30:18 PM »
Not sure how to log in properly for FAQ, but the Safe Crackers blooper in the last episode of the batch today, wherein Bob can't open the safe at all to reveal the prize inside for a good few moments (Wednesday of 461x), is worth a mention there.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2020, 07:25:04 PM »
So here's a question I thought about yesterday. Do you guys suspect they'll air fresh shows/cycles 7 days a week? Or might they do a big amount of repeats from through the week on Saturdays and Sundays? I could see them maybe doing that, what do you all think?