Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356430 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
I always thought she was a Price employee, kind of like a contestant coordinator or something of that nature. If I am not completely out of my mind, I want to say I have seen Bob call attention to her at some point. She is visible in that same seat from around 1980 to about 1983.

Was she the one with the kid shouted out by Johnny in a couple opens ("Here It Comes Marky!" I believe he said)? That would make sense.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2020, 01:44:15 AM »
Also aired at least some of the 86-87 season via Win TV in the early afternoons too (same place 91-92 aired). That was addressed earlier here actually, both of them were.

And in addition, at least a couple episodes after February 1984 and before 1991.  That includes 1989-1990 & at least one episode between April 1984 & December 1985.  Not sure which episode exactly from the mid 80s, but it was a WinTV episode that featured Balance Game; the 89-90 was actually the Season 18 premiere, also a WinTV episode
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2020, 01:53:17 AM »
And in addition, at least a couple episodes after February 1984 and before 1991.  That includes 1989-1990 & at least one episode between April 1984 & December 1985.  Not sure which episode exactly from the mid 80s, but it was a WinTV episode that featured Balance Game; the 89-90 was actually the Season 18 premiere, also a WinTV episode

Did the episode from mid 80's feature Johnny? I'd assume so, that'd put it at November 85 at latest. And interesting they aired a few randoms like this....kinda strange, wonder why the one-offs?

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2020, 05:10:32 AM »
Random thought, but has the first week of Season 11 not aired because the set is decorated / announced it’s “Season 11 premiere week”?  May confuse folks tuning in thinking why are they starting with Season 11 instead of 1.

Just before the first item up for bid on the episode airing right now (5.00am EST Saturday morning), Bob says something to the effect of 'Did you know this is our eleventh season?'
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2020, 05:47:29 AM »
I always thought she was a Price employee, kind of like a contestant coordinator or something of that nature. If I am not completely out of my mind, I want to say I have seen Bob call attention to her at some point. She is visible in that same seat from around 1980 to about 1983.

Thank you sir

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »
Okay, they are back to 4581D to start off the weekend repeats, remains unclear if they're going to pick and choose the best of the week, or go in order (and whether if they'll do 6 and repeat them 4 times each day like the weekday schedule). We'll see...

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
I can't recall her name right now ( I would have to look at the credits) but she was definitely part of the staff.  Her job I think was to tell the contestants to sit down after every one bid and she had to make sure the contestants stood at their correct podiums prior to the next one bid.  Pretty cool job right? - getting a front row seat during some of the show's best years!

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2020, 07:54:31 AM »
Did anyone catch Bob referring to a little "brawl" backstage between Janice and Dian ahead of 1 Right Price on the show replaying right now (4622D)? That was rather interesting to say the least.....I wonder how serious or not that was given what is known about their issues today.....
It was innocent fun.  You could tell everyone got along from their body language and how they would chit chat at the end of the show.  The Janice-Dian feud didn't start till around 1986 and the issues with Bob didn't start until he became Exec Producer in 1988/89.  The shows we are watching now are more golden than Golden Road; they display a harmonious cast that had a great working relationship. 

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »
It was innocent fun.  You could tell everyone got along from their body language and how they would chit chat at the end of the show.  The Janice-Dian feud didn't start till around 1986 and the issues with Bob didn't start until he became Exec Producer in 1988/89.  The shows we are watching now are more golden than Golden Road; they display a harmonious cast that had a great working relationship.

For me, of the classic Barker era shows, the 1982-1987 era is the best for the reasons you state ... great harmony and a desire to put out a product viewers would enjoy watching everyday.

IMO that’s happening today and enjoy Drew-era shows just as much, but what were re-living on Pluto TV is of a bygone era. Enjoy!

Brian

Offline nickdreyer10820

• In the Audience
  • Bob Barker and Drew Carey Rock
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »
I can't recall her name right now ( I would have to look at the credits) but she was definitely part of the staff.  Her job I think was to tell the contestants to sit down after every one bid and she had to make sure the contestants stood at their correct podiums prior to the next one bid.  Pretty cool job right? - getting a front row seat during some of the show's best years!

That’s Gina Edwards Nyman. I asked Roger Dobkowitz about her... She always sat next to the Green chair that had “RIGHT” written on it... and she always waved to the camera, she had brown hair then. She’s still with the show. The only others from the BARKER era that are still working with the show are Stan Blits
And Adam Sandler
With the show
We all Love Price is Right!

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
Was she the one with the kid shouted out by Johnny in a couple opens ("Here It Comes Marky!" I believe he said)? That would make sense.
That is the spouse of director Marc Breslow, Patti, and their child.

Offline rj2345

• In the Audience
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2020, 11:25:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The wording of that tweet kind of makes it sound like Pluto has control of these reruns ("we're supporting Bob's advocacy of animal rights") rather than Barker telling them what they can/can't show.

Plus, it is likely easier for them to start with Episodes they know for certain don't have furs, than going back through 10 years of tapes to hunt for episodes. Remember, it took GSN at least 2 years to go through their tapes to pull out the episodes that didn't have furs.

In regards to Premiere week not airing, does anyone know if they were any appearances by celebrities during that week? If so, it may have been a clearance issues.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
Pricefan18 I believe it was Johnny, but it very well could've been Gene.  Much like Walk Of Fame, every playing of Balance Game had Mr. Olson announcing except for the game's final.  It's been over 2 decades but I believe there were a handful of shows that had Gene Wood announcing.  FWIW, WinTV's comments pretty much said this game sucks & a head-scratcher.

As mentioned, the line up that was most familiar, especially in 1999 was mid-70s (1976-1977), then 1979, 1982, 1986, and 1991 Monday thru Friday.  Every-so-often GSN would change it up.  For instance, early in 1999 (and in 2000) the Wednesday episode was from Season 15 taped either June 9 or June 10 in 1986.   Earlier that week, the Monday & Tuesday shows were swapped, with Friday holding with an early 1992 show.  3 months later, on 04/01/1999, the Thursday episode, where the focus was on Season 15 more often than not, had a Season 9 episode.  To be specific, the 1981 April Fools show.

I saw somewhere that GSN aired TPIR episodes that aired in late 1992 and early 1996.  Maybe the former is accurate, but I haven't seen anything Price-related that aired on GSN beyond most of Season 20 (as in episodes before the set change).

GSN has been known to go off-script just because.  For good reason too, including putting on an holiday episode (Christmas, Halloween, and April Fool's as mentioned)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2020, 02:16:48 PM »
GSN has been known to go off-script just because.  For good reason too, including putting on an holiday episode (Christmas, Halloween, and April Fool's as mentioned)
Also to go with this, can't recall the occasion, but I've heard they've also run all six of the 1986 primetime specials.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
I never realized how popular trash compactors, air purifiers and ceiling fans were in the early 80s.  Pretty much every episode I’ve popped into this week has featured one of each. 😂

Also, I wasn’t aware just how long Stan Blits has been with the show until I saw his name pop up in the credits.  Four decades+ is quite a legacy!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker