Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356356 times)

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
Also, I wasn’t aware just how long Stan Blits has been with the show until I saw his name pop up in the credits.  Four decades+ is quite a legacy!

And he doesn't even look old enough to be working that long either! I personally am enjoying this so far. Even though some are repeats of what I've already seen it still feels very fresh. I'm looking forward to the channel expanding their catalogue as time goes by.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2020, 09:12:02 PM »
I’m watching it on my Chromebook, and since Pluto TV is supported on Samsung TVs, I downloaded it on my TV too. I don’t think I have ever been as excited for more Barker reruns as I am right now, and I never even got to see Barker reruns on GSN as I was born after GSN pulled them off the schedule. Drew is good, but Bob will forever be a legend, and no one can truly replace legends. His run is why Price is an American institution. Here’s hoping we go to 2007.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:21:58 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
I never realized how popular trash compactors, air purifiers and ceiling fans were in the early 80s.  Pretty much every episode I’ve popped into this week has featured one of each. 😂
Ceiling fans were regularly offered on Price into Bob's final seasons. They were one of the things that stopped being offered after Mike Richards became the EP.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #303 on: December 05, 2020, 10:29:12 PM »
Here’s hoping we go to 2007.

I am hoping so, too!  Doing some quick math, if Pluto keeps up with the six new episodes every weekday, do not skip any weekdays for any reason, and air every daytime episode, then we'll get to Bob's last show on October 25, 2023.

Set a reminder in your calendar!!  :-P

(Someone feel free to check my math!  I might add this question to my students' math test soon; they always ask, "When are we ever going to use math?" :lol:)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:21 PM »
I am hoping so, too!  Doing some quick math, if Pluto keeps up with the six new episodes every weekday, do not skip any weekdays for any reason, and air every daytime episode, then we'll get to Bob's last show on October 25, 2023.

Set a reminder in your calendar!!  :-P

Speaking of.....what all have they reaired today since the 1st episode?

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2020, 12:04:40 AM »
Is there any reason why Pluto doesn't include the original airdates in their online listings?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2020, 06:02:55 AM »
Speaking of.....what all have they reaired today since the 1st episode?

4581D-4602D for the Saturday reairings. Sunday they should reair 4603D-4624D.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »
I'm loving the Pluto channel. But honestly it's coming at a cost. I don't have a lot of time to devote to TV these days, and I am actively choosing the Bob shows over the new shows with Drew that are being recorded to my DVR. I haven't missed a new show in 14 years until now (with the exception of power outages and stuff like that).  I have to wonder how many are doing the same.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
4581D-4602D for the Saturday reairings. Sunday they should reair 4603D-4624D.

So they are reairing all 24 then this weekend? I was assuming they were only airing 6 each day from what they posted on their YT channel, unless they changed their mind.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm loving the Pluto channel. But honestly it's coming at a cost. I don't have a lot of time to devote to TV these days, and I am actively choosing the Bob shows over the new shows with Drew that are being recorded to my DVR. I haven't missed a new show in 14 years until now (with the exception of power outages and stuff like that).  I have to wonder how many are doing the same.

Depends on when they are viewing them, with the 6 hour blocks. Plus there's also the fact the show is online at night now too. So they can watch it back later if they wish, should they not watch it at 11am (or 10am elsewhere I suppose). I will say given the show this year looks VASTLY different due to Covid probably doesn't do them any favors though, but that'd be the only reason I could see for people choosing the old ones strictly for the most part over that.

The one thing I will say though time wise, is I have found trying to catch all 6 hours each day (or on Day 1, 9) has been rough. I may experiment with some workarounds beginning next week to make it less daunting, be it by watching some on weekends (assuming they are running them all/will continue to as it appears), recording/screen capturing blocks and then watching them back on my own time later deleting or otherwise backing up as I went to save space when needed, or if I had no choice just skipping some altogether much as I'd not want to. It is a lot, even broken up through the day and a proper balance is needed here I think.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »
Is there any reason why Pluto doesn't include the original airdates in their online listings?

Not sure.  Fortunately we have the calendar to best be able to tell what's airing or what's about to air.  Until Pluto puts the airdates on their schedule if they ever do
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
So they are reairing all 24 then this weekend? I was assuming they were only airing 6 each day from what they posted on their YT channel, unless they changed their mind.

They're currently on the airdate of 10/07/1982.  So it looks like they'll wrap with the first week of episodes by 7:00.  Not sure how they'll proceed on Monday, given that they started on Tuesday of next week

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »

They're currently on the airdate of 10/07/1982.  So it looks like they'll wrap with the first week of episodes by 7:00.  Not sure how they'll proceed on Monday, given that they started on Tuesday of next week

You know, given there's only 24 they ran this week vs. 30 as I'd assume they'll be be running from Monday, them airing all of them this weekend actually makes sense. I say that because 12 episodes a day fit neatly into 2 6 hour blocks, meaning they could have/are running them twice over the day, and finish the last one for the week right at the point of a refresh for next. I'd bet next weekend may see a few cut for this reason since that 12 would have to be upped to 15, unless they adapt a Tuesday-Friday schedule permanently.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
And sometime this week, we'll see the episode where Bill Cullen made his only appearance on TPIR. To see a former and current host appear together is always an exciting thing to see, even if Cullen's show was nothing like Barker's, except for the One-Bid round that was used as a secondary bidding game.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
You know, given there's only 24 they ran this week vs. 30 as I'd assume they'll be be running from Monday, them airing all of them this weekend actually makes sense. I say that because 12 episodes a day fit neatly into 2 6 hour blocks, meaning they could have/are running them twice over the day, and finish the last one for the week right at the point of a refresh for next. I'd bet next weekend may see a few cut for this reason since that 12 would have to be upped to 15, unless they adapt a Tuesday-Friday schedule permanently.

What might happen is that Pluto airs everything as normal, starting on Monday.  But on Friday, they start their rerun schedule at 6:00 EST.  In other words, they air the first six shows for the week on Friday, then the last 24 on Saturday.  Then re-air the first 24 shows for the week on Sunday, and then wrap everything up on Monday from midnight to 6 AM before starting a new week of shows