Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360750 times)

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2020, 05:36:13 AM »
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any issues with music clearances (yet). I was even worried for a little bit that they weren't going to feature Hurdles, Safe Crackers, Race Game, or Switcheroo, since they all used copyrighted music.

Pluto was founded in part by Universal Music Group and then sold to Viacom, who owns MTV. They have tons of channels with all kinds of old TV programs. If these companies can't clear music rights, no one can. I have a feeling they worked everything out for the entire Pluto network years ago in regards to music royalties. Those music clearances may not apply over on the Buzzr network, so music may be the reason why the Barker-era TPIRs were in the vault until the Pluto deal was worked out. Besides the Pink Panther theme for Safecracker, I've heard Star Wars, Star Trek and Close Encounters of the Third Kind music used for the Showcases. If they could only use music Fremantle owned, a huge amount of these episodes would not be able to be aired as is.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:40:03 AM by JediJones »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2020, 05:40:00 AM »
So for those keeping score with the airdates, given the seemingly skipped episode in the rotation yesterday/today, the 1st episode of the next batch should be the one with Bill Cullen's appearance in it.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #362 on: December 08, 2020, 06:25:57 AM »
So for those keeping score with the airdates, given the seemingly skipped episode in the rotation yesterday/today, the 1st episode of the next batch should be the one with Bill Cullen's appearance in it.

We'll know in a few hours (assuming another Noon ET start for Tuesday's cycle), but it's 3am Pacific and I've just had the thought that I *could* see that episode being skipped or else the Bill cameo being edited out.  Although the Pluto channel's a CBS/Fremantle joint venture, CBS has no stake in Child's Play in 2020, nor is it something even airing on Buzzr to promote.  And the appearance *does* use footage.  Plus Bill's appearance takes up well over 4 minutes (and ad time is king).

Absolutely hope I'm wrong and beyond a couple of things I've seen on the Fremantle side with Buzzr I don't even have any reason to think I'm right (we'll see in a few hours).  But just a wayward overnight thought.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2020, 06:35:54 AM »
We'll know in a few hours (assuming another Noon ET start for Tuesday's cycle), but it's 3am Pacific and I've just had the thought that I *could* see that episode being skipped or else the Bill cameo being edited out.  Although the Pluto channel's a CBS/Fremantle joint venture, CBS has no stake in Child's Play in 2020, nor is it something even airing on Buzzr to promote.  And the appearance *does* use footage.  Plus Bill's appearance takes up well over 4 minutes (and ad time is king).

Absolutely hope I'm wrong and beyond a couple of things I've seen on the Fremantle side with Buzzr I don't even have any reason to think I'm right (we'll see in a few hours).  But just a wayward overnight thought.

I thought of that too, but I don't imagine they would, I kinda doubt they'd care that much to do that. Hell they've left in most of the Bob Barker Fun & Games Show promos that GSN never showed when they had reran the shows, so I imagine this would be treated same as those. But I suppose we'll see.

As to ad time leading to a cut though specifically..I wouldn't worry about that. Those 4 minutes woulda been part of the normal show time, and outside of the ticket plug, nothing has been cut out of any shows so far, unless you wanna count breaks seeming to start early at times, but that might be a Pluto issue as much as anything, and I really doubt they'd cut such a large swath of time out mid show like this. If they air the episode, I'd expect the segment to air in full like when GSN had ran it.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2020, 07:47:09 AM »
You know, every so often I wonder why Child's Play didn't make it to the 1983-1984 season (unless it did).  I think it was a good show with a legend of a host.  I don't know or think it was at the level of the $25,000 Pyramid or Tattletales but unless it lasted as long as it did due to Press Your Luck not being ready to air, I would have guessed that it would have been on CBS for another season.

Anyway, I think if this upcoming episode is addressed, I think they won't air it at all.  If they do air it a little more than 4 hours from now I think they include the entire interview with Bill Cullen.  I could see them editing out the footage somehow but it would be awkward if they edited out Bob and Bill's chat.  I think a lot of people will take issue to that, but I don't think it would be a big deal if they omitted past footage from another show.

BTW, in saying they won't air it at all, I mean that it's either just that or it's on hold indefinitely so as to edit whatever needs to be edited out of that segment
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tybuki

• In the Audience
« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »
You know, every so often I wonder why Child's Play didn't make it to the 1983-1984 season (unless it did).  I think it was a good show with a legend of a host.  I don't know or think it was at the level of the $25,000 Pyramid or Tattletales but unless it lasted as long as it did due to Press Your Luck not being ready to air, I would have guessed that it would have been on CBS for another season.

Child's Play first struggled against Wheel until January '83, then was in a dead heat with $ale of the Century for a few months until it too pulled away in the ratings by Summer '83. Press Your Luck taped its pilot in May of that year and CBS announced it as Child's Play's replacement in August, going off the air on September 16th. In short, CP just never really caught on with viewers.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #366 on: December 08, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
I am SO happy to have been wrong.  DELIGHTED.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #367 on: December 08, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
Interesting that the regular buzzer went off for the showcase overbid, which didn't seem right. Then again though on the very early episodes from 1972, the foghorn didn't debut yet, so it was safe to assume that this was a mistake on whoever was running the sound effects at the time.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #368 on: December 08, 2020, 01:08:05 PM »
Interesting that the regular buzzer went off for the showcase overbid, which didn't seem right. Then again though on the very early episodes from 1972, the foghorn didn't debut yet, so it was safe to assume that this was a mistake on whoever was running the sound effects at the time.

This happened once or twice in the 90s.  It was weird, I agree.  I think this is definitely the first episode the show worked on after a summer break for several reasons.  I guess the operator was off that day.

ETA: 4643D (10/27/1982) is indeed airing right now (1 PM hour EST 12/08).  As indicated by scorpz, the order may not be accurate.  As of the edit, Blank Check is first instead of Temptation, which might be in Act 3.  Trader Bob is in the correct slot as the second pricing game

Nope, it's 3 Strikes (knew the second Bob pointed to Door 3)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:20:03 PM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #369 on: December 08, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
I am SO happy to have been wrong.  DELIGHTED.

Me too

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
For some reason, they edited out Sharon Wyatt from Pluto's copy of the October 28, 1982 episode.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »
It's nice that Pluto TV is uploading multiple clips daily (though what's up with the need to put capitalized words in the titles?  Seriously, that just comes off as annoying).  The part I am really enjoying with these is the camerawork.  The shot Breslow took of that contestant who ran past the Row up on stage with Bob talking to her with the audience lights behind him was amazing.  Today's clip of the Hole in One playing with the orange golf ball had the niftiest zoom in on the $500 flag.  Plus, I love Breslow's insistence of capturing faces in shots.  Anytime somebody's face gets blocked, he's changing the shot.  He was always in pursuit of good pictures, and while I am sure most didn't pick up on it, it really added to the energy of the proceedings.

Eh, you're violating the terms of service of PlutoTV. It's a civil breach of contract, not criminal copyright infringement.

Doesn't make it right.

Also, is there any immorality in sticking it to ViacomCBS?  :lol:

Again, doesn't make it right.  I would also add that circumvention of geofences probably hinders more the resolution of the problem of getting international clearance.  If people didn't circumvent them but chimed in en masse to ask for the content to be distributed internationally, then the powers that be would have a better representation of the demand.  It's not as if they can't make money the more eyeballs they grab in different jurisdictions, all with with locally-relevant advertising.

Not that there are that many people outside of the U.S. clamouring to see The Price Is Right on Pluto TV, but more a more hotly-desired program, I'd see it possible.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #372 on: December 08, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »
I would also add that circumvention of geofences probably hinders more the resolution of the problem of getting international clearance.  If people didn't circumvent them but chimed in en masse to ask for the content to be distributed internationally, then the powers that be would have a better representation of the demand.  It's not as if they can't make money the more eyeballs they grab in different jurisdictions, all with with locally-relevant advertising.

Not that there are that many people outside of the U.S. clamouring to see The Price Is Right on Pluto TV, but more a more hotly-desired program, I'd see it possible.

This stance is admirable but unrealistic. No one is going to stop finding ways to back-door their way into the programming they want to see — which, per your argument, would mean no resolution will ever be found.  So...hop on a VPN and enjoy what you’re missing. :P
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »
To be fair, through the years the regular buzzer has been used for going over in Grocery Game, Check Game, Bullseye and Credit Card, as well as Card Game and Check-Out before they reverted to the foghorn later on.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
To be fair, through the years the regular buzzer has been used for going over in Grocery Game, Check Game, Bullseye and Credit Card, as well as Card Game and Check-Out before they reverted to the foghorn later on.

Not only that, but there have been a lot of instances in these Pluto episodes of the foghorn being used in games that normally wouldn't use them in later years. I heard it used for "SORRY" reveals in Bullseye and "NO" reveals in Five Price Tags (even if it wasn't the one that decided the loss).