Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356453 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
Not only that, but there have been a lot of instances in these Pluto episodes of the foghorn being used in games that normally wouldn't use them in later years. I heard it used for "SORRY" reveals in Bullseye and "NO" reveals in Five Price Tags (even if it wasn't the one that decided the loss).

Ditto.  Also, the safe staying locked in Safe Crackers triggered the foghorn.  I'm not sure when this ended, but I watched a 1990 episode and they still used it. 

In addition to that, Hole in One used it in Season 20 several times, which is somewhat of a reversal given the fact that they often didn't early on, including 4642D and at least most episodes during the very early days of the show.

To be fair, through the years the regular buzzer has been used for going over in Grocery Game, Check Game, Bullseye and Credit Card, as well as Card Game and Check-Out before they reverted to the foghorn later on.

They've actually used the foghorn in Card Game & Check-Out for simply losing outright (not going over); definitely the former was the case which IIRC happens later this season or the next
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:26:57 PM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #376 on: December 08, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
What was the whole "Don't show the price, don't show the price!", bit Bob kept doing throughout the episode ending now (7pm EST), with the girls? Was that an inside joke related to something that happened that we didn't see on camera, or something from an earlier episode? Does anyone have any idea? It seemed really random, and nothing happened on the previous episode that I noticed to prompt it.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #377 on: December 08, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »
I’ve seen several playings of Trader Bob where the “Don”t show the price!” comment happens. I think it became kind of a running joke with Bob and the models in this game. I know of at least one playing where a price got revealed early because the models accidentally ran two of the prize podiums together and a price cover fell open. (If memory serves, the run together happened behind the game board and the price was hanging open when the model wheeled the prize on stage). I’m not sure if there was another instance of something like this happening or not.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:33:04 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #378 on: December 08, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
Yeah, "Don't show the price!" appears to be a running bit with Trader Bob...you can see it in a lot of other playings. I think it started just the way Temptation said.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2020, 08:42:05 PM »
Yeah, "Don't show the price!" appears to be a running bit with Trader Bob...you can see it in a lot of other playings. I think it started just the way Temptation said.

Oh ok, that makes sense, and then in this case it obviously carried over to Temptation and Most Expensive too. Thanks for explaining.  :-)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »
On the 6pm show with Bill Cullen, they added the first of the classic turntable colors on the turning panel.  I wonder why they delayed changing the whole scheme at one...it looks really bizarre and out of place.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »
On the 6pm show with Bill Cullen, they added the first of the classic turntable colors on the turning panel.  I wonder why they delayed changing the whole scheme at one...it looks really bizarre and out of place.

I noticed that...I thought maybe I was seeing things, but you're right, they did change it. Maybe they didn't get the rest taken care of in time and had to go with it as was?

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #382 on: December 08, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
Was the Barker wall changed on the same show?  The 8PM CST repeat has the new wall.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #383 on: December 08, 2020, 09:21:59 PM »
Was the Barker wall changed on the same show?  The 8PM CST repeat has the new wall.

Yes it was

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #384 on: December 08, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
Yes it was

I think it was the 7pm show actually.

EDIT: I take it back, it was that one.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #385 on: December 08, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
I just lost my entire post

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #386 on: December 08, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »

Maybe whoever made the decision to change the set planned on changing the turning panel only, and then when it was apparent that it looked better than everything else, the rest of the turntable was changed.  I don't know for sure.

I’ve seen several playings of Trader Bob where the “Don”t show the price!” comment happens. I think it became kind of a running joke with Bob and the models in this game. I know of at least one playing where a price got revealed early because the models accidentally ran two of the prize podiums together and a price cover fell open. (If memory serves, the run together happened behind the game board and the price was hanging open when the model wheeled the prize on stage). I’m not sure if there was another instance of something like this happening or not.

After more than 40 years, today was the first time I noticed that someone could've known they were about to play Trader Bob prior to the prize reveal (a la Grand Game).  Anyway, a rare occasion of something that was overdone in my opinion.

It's been nearly 40 decades, but that Punch A Bunch feels "fresh" in my mind.  That was a pretty painful bailout.  As mentioned by Bob to Janice and company, no one was going to make it to $10,000 for the 4th punch after $5,000 from the 3rd punch.  Little did they know...

Is bailing at $500 with 2 punches to go the best move though?  $500 is good any day, no matter who you are.  I think bailing with $500 in 1982 is okay on the 2nd punch, but I don't know if it's the right call if that had occurred today (or since 1996)

Edited to apologize for the double post.  I tried to edit my previous post with a more concrete post.  Received an error message, then after four more attempts, it just vanished.  Not sure what happened.  Maybe I missed the time allotted for an edit; sorry about that!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:37:29 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #387 on: December 08, 2020, 10:48:00 PM »
Is bailing at $500 with 2 punches to go the best move though?  $500 is good any day, no matter who you are.  I think bailing with $500 in 1982 is okay on the 2nd punch, but I don't know if it's the right call if that had occurred today (or since 1996)

$500 is the minimum now isn't it? No way anyone keeps that now if so. I'd say in general $500 being taken, is totally a product of its' time. In the 80's was worth something, not as much now especially after taxes.

Speaking of site issues BTW, I've noticed the inaccessibility errors have been increasing again last few days. Anybody have any idea why? It's coming up frequently.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »
$500 is the minimum now isn't it? No way anyone keeps that now if so. I'd say in general $500 being taken, is totally a product of its' time. In the 80's was worth something, not as much now especially after taxes.

Speaking of site issues BTW, I've noticed the inaccessibility errors have been increasing again last few days. Anybody have any idea why? It's coming up frequently.

It's been happening to me since the weekend.  I thought it was my own network, since a refresh got me back on.  Typically a refresh wouldn't work due to the fact that the site is down for maintenance or something.  It'll be worked out.

Off the top of my head, I don't think $500 is the minimum today.  Maybe it's $100, but definitely not $50 I don't think.  The change I know is that you only have up to a 4 in 50 chance of "winning the game" as opposed to 8 chances to punch out one or both of 2 winning holes.  Martin had slightly more than a 20% chance toward improvement with the next punch (he did but who knows that for sure) and more than a 60% chance toward a decrease with the next punch.  That isn't accurate when factoring in the second chance slips.

I didn't think $500 was taxable, but nevertheless I might have run off with $250 back then.  Take what you can get.  Of course the IIFB prize might have me going for it.  Today you're winning much more than $500 from One Bid, back then it could've been more than $100 less.  I'd never give back $5000 even if it's my first punch.  If it means leaving more money so be it.  $1000 is debatable.

Speaking of P-A-B, I still miss the old "Blue & Gold" color scheme.  The upgrade was worth it, but the "original" set was very special

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #389 on: December 09, 2020, 01:01:34 AM »
Off the top of my head, I don't think $500 is the minimum today.  Maybe it's $100, but definitely not $50 I don't think.

I just checked, you're right, it's not, it's $100. Has been $500 on one Primetime Special and during Big Money Weeks though.