Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360405 times)

FlipFlopper7769 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #450 on: December 11, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
:roll:

I'm just happy that after two decades we're seeing reruns.

Remember...the casual fans, not the small percentage of people cataloging these show, will watch a few episodes every few days. Thats the main audience. I'm a big fan of Price...and thats what I'm doing too.

I mind not one bit they are, apparently, randomizing the order.  As someone who initially thought they were “cherry picking” and not pretty much airing episodes chronologically, I won’t mind missing here and there knowing there will be something to tear up over in each episode.

I mind not one bit that you can hear cries from the selectee as they hear their name.

I mind not one bit that I can watch these audiences, which are tame by comparison of what’s to come, are infintessimally better than what’s airing now.  I’m not just talking about COVID either.  The audiences before were stagnant bordering on complete comatose.  Made the mistake of catching the end of Bag today. 

Enjoy for every moment what you are able to see, and more importantly hear.  It’s beautiful to this LFaT, especially watching a showcase where a small person was following Holly around with a pillow when she was wearing roller skates.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:53:52 PM by FPGWillyT »

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #451 on: December 11, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
But they just said that they want to air MORE episodes. That refutes your point.

Who is they?

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
Anybody know the name of the jazz song that played during a second showcase yesterday?  It was a popular tune back in the day, and I'm struggling to identify it.

The showcase skit had Johnny in a tuxedo, then Dian wearing a beautiful dress, then a fancy car as the final prize.  It sounds like Spyro Gyra, but I'm not sure it is.

Ah .... the '80s.  Speaking of which:  How cool is it that they're leaving the music intact the same way it originally aired? 

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #453 on: December 11, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »
100 ep block isn't the worst in the world. Hopefully they can get a schedule going.

On Discord we have a couple users with automated scripts that look promising in getting these episodes recorded. I am thinking over the best way to then have those available for all who want it.

This is a good idea. And now at least we know where the reset point is/just how much they have in their archive thus far, which would amount to roughly half the season FWIW. It's interesting though how.....they promoted Plinko in their main promo for the launch, but of the 100 shows they have/have set to go in their rotation, it'd only be seen a handful of times at best. Not that many casuals would notice that I suppose.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #454 on: December 11, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
I have a feeling they'll reverse this decision by the end of the weekend, and they just really want Plinko to debut already.

It would be nice if they could decide on something consistent.

For real.  As mentioned, that's the main argument: the lack of consistency.  To some extent, the lack of communication.  They've been pretty good for the most part, but I understand that what they're doing is subject to change.  If there's no schedule, so be it, but I wish they would either stick to something or at least make note that it's a work in progress.  Obviously now they don't need to, not that they were obligated to in the first place.

You're right, Wayoshi.  The 100 episode block is not a big deal at all.  I'll be honest.  If they had decided to do that in the beginning or just run every episode from 1982-2007 I would have been fine with that.  Sorry to sound morbid, but the future isn't guaranteed.  30 episodes per week is okay but the sooner they wrap everything up the better.  I'd rather see everything completed by 2021 as opposed to early 2024 or whenever
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
Well 100 episodes starting today takes us to around mid-April 1983, and I feel that after this flush of episodes is processed, a loop of the first 3/4's or so of Season 11 will likely air at least a few more times so that Pluto can get the next batch of episodes ready. Since the blocking of YouTube episodes was the biggest indicator, I feel that we won't see any other new-to-Pluto stuff until another content ID wave goes off. That end point comes shortly before the new 1983 music package was introduced. By watching a little at a time, you're apt to get a mix of haven't seen and have seen shows, which is part of the experiment that Pluto is attempting. I prefer the four cycles of six per day, but we'll see how this plays out. Hopefully we won't have to wait several months for a fresh batch of episodes like you do on BUZZR.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2020, 02:04:28 PM »
The only annoyance I have is they can't quite decide yet on a consistent way to deliver these eps. But the channel has only been up 10 days, after all.

On demand for thousands of eps wasn't going to happen. They want you to watch the channel and to get that ad revenue in.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »
Well 100 episodes starting today takes us to around mid-April 1983, and I feel that after this flush of episodes is processed, a loop of the first 3/4's or so of Season 11 will likely air at least a few more times so that Pluto can get the next batch of episodes ready. Since the blocking of YouTube episodes was the biggest indicator, I feel that we won't see any other new-to-Pluto stuff until another content ID wave goes off. That end point comes shortly before the new 1983 music package was introduced. By watching a little at a time, you're apt to get a mix of haven't seen and have seen shows, which is part of the experiment that Pluto is attempting. I prefer the four cycles of six per day, but we'll see how this plays out. Hopefully we won't have to wait several months for a fresh batch of episodes like you do on BUZZR.

Are we sure it's 100 episodes in order from now? Or 100 total? I was interpreting that as 100 from when it started, although given what they took off YT up to now, it'd make sense that maybe it's more.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2020, 02:09:03 PM »
Hopefully we won't have to wait several months for a fresh batch of episodes like you do on BUZZR.

Buzzr has been hurt particularly by Covid, they haven’t been able to get people into their studio to work on digitizing, hopefully they should get better after the New Year.

Offline djryan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #459 on: December 11, 2020, 02:11:41 PM »
Assuming that if they have 100 episodes to start with...if they run a different ep in a 24 hour cycle...then the 100 ep repeat cycle would be just over a 4-day period each...(as opposed to the 6 hour repeat schedule).  It's not as bad looking at it that way to catch certain eps that are missed..
COME ON DOWN!

Offline jeremynelson1987

• Outside in Line
« Reply #460 on: December 11, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »
If they want to make it the best it can be, they should have the content available on demand.  Twenty-four hours a day of new episodes with no licit way to record them doesn't really give the die-hard fans they have a chance to keep up with the action.  I'm sure many former contestants and their relations would love to see their appearances again.  There's really no need for a blink-and-you-missed-it approach here.

It’s a free content stream, which isn’t just for the die hards. We get what we’re gonna get, and considering that most of us haven’t seen these episodes in this level of video quality, this is sort of a big get. We got the action play set for Christmas but are still wondering why we didn’t get the attack chopper too. One step at a time.

That being said, 6 a day works. Nobody outside of you lot are going to be watching these episodes at a ridiculous clip over an extended period of time, so very few will know the difference.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #461 on: December 11, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Anybody know the name of the jazz song that played during a second showcase yesterday?  It was a popular tune back in the day, and I'm struggling to identify it.

The showcase skit had Johnny in a tuxedo, then Dian wearing a beautiful dress, then a fancy car as the final prize.  It sounds like Spyro Gyra, but I'm not sure it is.

Ah .... the '80s.  Speaking of which:  How cool is it that they're leaving the music intact the same way it originally aired?

That was Route 101 by Herb Alpert.  I hear that quite a bit on Yacht Rock Radio on Sirius XM.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #462 on: December 11, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
Buzzr has been hurt particularly by Covid, they haven’t been able to get people into their studio to work on digitizing, hopefully they should get better after the New Year.
In their defense, December is a slow month for them in general... at least until the week of the 21st. Business will be picking up then.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #463 on: December 11, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
The Spyro Gyra song you were thinking about is most likely Morning Dance. It was played a lot back in the 80s, continuing well into Rod's stint as the announcer.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #464 on: December 11, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
At least two (one in 1974, one in 2004) were over by only $1. (If memory serves, the 2004 instance was a $12,000 bid on an $11,999 Showcase).

Memory does serve...that episode stood out not only because of the obvious painful overbid but also because that was the first showcase worth under $12,000 in over two years.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.