Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 362240 times)

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #525 on: December 13, 2020, 04:24:15 PM »
Did anyone get a vid/could they post one of the woman named K in the last segment just aired now, that had what has to be the longest and really shortest name in Price is Right history? It deserves to be captured I think.

Streamable of the interaction in question: https://streamable.com/f052ns
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #526 on: December 13, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »
It's happened a few times over the years that a contestant playing was found to be ineligible and that announcement was made at the end of the show. I recall at least once it was because the contestant was found to be related (married?) to a CBS employee, and another time because the contestant was on the show before (prior to contestants being eligible once every 10 years).

I can see how TPTB can overlook that.  They're pretty good with their background checks so the relation could've been accidental.  I don't think it makes the contestant a bad person, maybe it's unknown to them.  However, those are the rules.

As for being on the show before, that's baffling.  In fact, assuming we'll be getting the rest of Season 11 along with seasons 12 & 13 soon, there is one contestant that showed up more than once
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #527 on: December 13, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
Thanks. This Pluto experience is very interesting for me. I have many memories of watching The Price is Right as a kid during the usual sick days and snow days. I have never seen the show since sometime before Bob's hair changed to white, never any new episodes or any reruns of the "brown hair era" episodes until now. There are many aspects of the game I remembered all my life, some of the catchphrases, some of the games, some of the rules. I never forgot the mountain climbing game with the yodeling or the big wheel of course. As I'm watching these episodes I feel completely familiar with the rhythm, such as the fact that there is a commercial break after the showcase bids are placed and before the winner is announced. Some of the games instantly ring a bell in my memory as I watch them on Pluto even if I had forgotten all about them, such as the check writing game, the safe crackers game, the poker game, the "ten chances" game, the "three strikes" game (distinctly remember seeing Bob jiggle the bag of discs), the game where the car tries to catch up to the other car, the running around to put price tags on four items game and really almost every game on this show.

But I have absolutely no memory of Plinko. As I heard people talking about it in the last couple weeks I was trying to remember what it was. I avoided looking up any videos of it so I'd see it for the first time during one of these episodes. But after seeing it, it doesn't ring a bell at all like the other games. I know it debuted in 1983. I wouldn't have guessed though that all of my memories of The Price is Right were from 1982 or earlier. That would mean age 6 was the highest age at which I watched it. In which case I may have only watched it before I started first grade. So maybe I didn't need a sick day to watch it. I know I went to kindergarten in the afternoon so I could've watched it in the morning before going. It's possible I watched it later and just never happened to catch Plinko. It's possible of course I saw it and forgot it. I definitely watched game shows in my youth that didn't even debut until after 1982 like Press Your Luck and Super Password. I already knew I didn't watch it after 1987 but now feel like I may never have watched it from 1983 onward.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:42:08 PM by JediJones »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #528 on: December 13, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
I'm just gonna throw up a request here:  Does anyone have videos of the four shows they've skipped?  We're missing 4633D, 4733D, 4775D, and 4784D.  I know at least the first two are in people's tape collections.

(I'm not bothering asking for premiere week -- I don't know of anyone having them, and I think it's fairly likely they're somehow under the contract for Season 10 and will show up if the channel ever gets back that far.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #529 on: December 13, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
I'm just gonna throw up a request here:  Does anyone have videos of the four shows they've skipped?  We're missing 4633D, 4733D, 4775D, and 4784D.  I know at least the first two are in people's tape collections.

(I'm not bothering asking for premiere week -- I don't know of anyone having them, and I think it's fairly likely they're somehow under the contract for Season 10 and will show up if the channel ever gets back that far.)

Why do you think that they'd be under the Season 10 contract? Accident? And I didn't think GSN ever aired that week, that accurate?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #530 on: December 13, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
Streamable of the interaction in question: https://streamable.com/f052ns

You're awesome, thank you! This was too good a segment to not be captured.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #531 on: December 13, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »
Why do you think that they'd be under the Season 10 contract? Accident?

It's not unprecedented for there to be a little weirdness in the paperwork for the very beginning of a season, and I think it's a little more likely than the entire week suffering tape damage.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #532 on: December 13, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Just like Edwin’s Lucky 7 blowout, this was a moment I was not sure I would ever see again, and I have never talked to anyone else who remembers it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=YERfsQG4Hs4&fbclid=IwAR3rWoT-zuP67bDswLmdWDbFKT5dHMxfpvzY5W6PaI6fcASpz6g98OF66Tg

The main event is that they haul out a diagram, complete with pointer, of how Check Game works, but this is also worth watching for a reference to Plinko as an as-yet unseen-by-the-public game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:58:03 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #533 on: December 13, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Just like Edwin’s Lucky 7 blowout, this was a moment I was not sure I would ever see again, and I have never talked to anyone else who remembers it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=YERfsQG4Hs4&fbclid=IwAR3rWoT-zuP67bDswLmdWDbFKT5dHMxfpvzY5W6PaI6fcASpz6g98OF66Tg

The main event is that they haul out a diagram, complete with pointer, of how Check Game works, but this is also worth watching for a reference to Plinko as an as-yet unseen-by-the-public game.

That was posted here before via streamable, but nice to see they posted it as well.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #534 on: December 13, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »
I've noticed the references to "unairable copies" in the Timeline, and it got me thinking... is it possible that instead of outright "skipping over" those four shows, that they might be saving them for a specific occasion? I ask since I've seen Buzzr "set aside" shows in that same manner for different gimmick events (the upcoming Betty White Christmas week, for instance), and since we think the same people in charge of Buzzr are running the Pluto channel, it's conceivable that the same thing may be taking place here as well.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #535 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:38 PM »
I've noticed the references to "unairable copies" in the Timeline, and it got me thinking... is it possible that instead of outright "skipping over" those four shows, that they might be saving them for a specific occasion? I ask since I've seen Buzzr "set aside" shows in that same manner for different gimmick events (the upcoming Betty White Christmas week, for instance), and since we think the same people in charge of Buzzr are running the Pluto channel, it's conceivable that the same thing may be taking place here as well.

Maybe, but why those 4 I'd wonder, as they were/are seemingly random episodes? I don't know that I'd understand the connection, unless something is special about them that I don't know about. Can anyone fill me in if that's the case?

If they were gonna withhold any, the Christmas week shows woulda been ones I'd have thought they may skip for a couple weeks so they'd air right at Christmas directly, but they aired those, so.....I don't know that I'd think this is holding over for something.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:05:22 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #536 on: December 13, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
That was posted here before via streamable, but nice to see they posted it as well.

They didn't.  That's Chad Mosher.

I mean, it's possible, and I hope you're right, because I don't want any of the shows to be lost, but I can't figure why they'd do it.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #537 on: December 13, 2020, 10:04:05 PM »

Consider this one a bonus from me for anyone reading this post - 4733D (12/29/1982): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxKiadwDIF9b-tXwiy3U-DoNBKx01NQU/view?usp=sharing

It's also a great case study for the edits GSN made to a typical ep (the runtime comes in a minute shorter) vs. what Fremantle is playing out for Pluto.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #538 on: December 13, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
Consider this one a bonus from me for anyone reading this post - 4733D (12/29/1982): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxKiadwDIF9b-tXwiy3U-DoNBKx01NQU/view?usp=sharing

It's also a great case study for the edits GSN made to a typical ep (the runtime comes in a minute shorter) vs. what Fremantle is playing out for Pluto.

Speaking about edits.....I noticed some of the later episodes Pluto aired had edits coming out of the break akin to what GSN did for Bob Barker Fun & Games promos.....did they cut those out in these cases or was it something else that was? I know they edited out a soap star's appearance on the October 28th episode that GSN didn't for some reason, but I don't suspect it was anything like that.

Also....I bet most of the time GSN cut woulda been connected to fee plugs, the CNAOS ones specifically. The plugs in 1995 ran about 35 seconds or, so at would be at least half that minute or so, more for episodes with the Fun & Games Promos too.

Thanks for the upload BTW  :-)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #539 on: December 13, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »
For anyone interested in the above episode.....Bob nearly created a potential for a technical win in Game #2, Most Expensive. He said to the contestant Keith, that he needed to pick which one of the 3 prizes offered was the least expensive, before someone in the audience shouted out to correct him. If that hadn't been caught and Keith had went on to lose, I would bet he woulda been awarded the prizes after the fact because of it.